Rap Sucks
Jun 23, 2003 at 8:59 AM Post #16 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
I can easily say that all country music or metal is **** if I point to the pop stuff. However, I must concede that each genre has its gems if you dig deeper.

Very true.

Mainstream music sucks horribly (not including White Stripes and a small handful of other artists), and mainstream rap is the worst of the lot... the shallowest of the shallow.
There's a lot of excellent hip-hop out there but you have to turn off your MTV and look to the underground scene.

Jun 23, 2003 at 11:56 AM Post #17 of 782
IMO there is no music on rap, just a repetitive rythm, OTOH in any other genre (metal and rock and whatever), at least we have a melody, to sing or whistle...as I stated before, maybe rap is not for me (thanks God) but I do not consider this thread even necessary, rap simply sucks, any era, any time, any kind...period, but this is just my point of view, and IMO, etc, etc, etc....
Yes, of course, you can find a lot of crap in any genre, just that IMO all of the other crap sucks a lot less.....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2003 at 12:44 PM Post #18 of 782
I'd be curious to know what some of you hair-whipping metalheads think of Dou[g] Pray's documentary, "Scratch" [(it's on DVD)]. Yes, it contains interviews with the *highly old skool* Afrika Bambaataa and Jazzy Jay, but that's not the point. It also contains performances by the likes of QBert and DJ Shadow that sound closer to metal guitar solos than anything I've seen at Tonic. Kid Koala has actually read scratch cues from sheet music and scratched with orchestras. I'm thinking you might appreciate the pyrotechnics.

One thing you have to admit is that rap is an integral part of hip-hop culture, without which DJ music would not exist, which means that a lot of mainstream singer-songwriter artists (like Bjork) wouldn't sound the same. I haven't noticed a lot of Matthew Herbert fans on this site, but he's a consummate musician/DJ who wouldn't exist if rap hadn't come before. And ATCQ's *The Low-End Theory* is one of the best albums of the early 90s. It has most of what we've been hearing for a decade: acoustic bass, jazzy arrangements over break beats -- eclecticism that raised the bar generally for what was to come.

Rap brought a kind of attention to internal rhyme, half-rhyme, word play and narrative that hadn't been seen since the forties -- if you doubt it, look at how insipid pop hooks had become in the days of The Message. And the DJ brought a level of culture and history to pop music that hadn't been heard since pompous faux-apocalyptic rock musicians first began to assert that history and erudition were irrelevant. Rap comes out of th[e] practice of toasting, which comes out of a history of neighborhood culture, in which people would engage in verbal put-down wars to hone their poetic skills.

All of which means, ironically enough, that rap and hip-hop are largely responsible for bringing back refined levels of intelligence and culture to otherwise idiotic mall-bland AOR.

Jun 23, 2003 at 2:33 PM Post #19 of 782
While I personally do not care for Rap, to each his own. I am sure there are many that do not care for the type of music that I listen to either.

What I hate are amplified subwoofers in automobiles......in hands of the wrong people.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 23, 2003 at 4:41 PM Post #21 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by Newbiez
And to think in 5 years time, we'll talk about how Eminem was old skool and wondering who the heck Grand Master Flash was.

Eminem will never be considered old school you putz.

Jun 23, 2003 at 5:13 PM Post #22 of 782
Did waylman just call Newbiez a discarded foreskin in Yiddish? God in heaven, Mrs. Watanabe, can't you see what these semi-agnostic circumcision-promoting hoodlum rhythms are doing to our youth? We have to safeguard the kids, Mrs. Watanabe, before they start learning Hebrew!

Jun 23, 2003 at 5:55 PM Post #23 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Dude, seriously you can't use a name like MetalHead666 and call rap crap. That's at best like an alcoholic ripping on a drug addict.

What are you talking about? I don't listen to crap like Slipknot, where they scream. That crap sounds like the entire music group is falling down the stairs. I listen to GOOD metal like Disturbed.

And I suppose some rap is not horrid to listen to, you guys are right about how every genre has their good stuff. I have never listened to underground rap. I am basing my opinion against rap on music by D12 or DMX. To me it all sounds the same.

I didn't mean to offend anyone. It's just that the way I look at it, Rap is just a phase some people get into, but eventually they get out of it. I don't know about you, but I know 0 white adults that listen to rap.

Jun 23, 2003 at 6:10 PM Post #24 of 782
Rap is not my cup of tea, I actually grew up around it from the very beginning, but I never liked it. I always loved metal and classical which has a lot to do with each other, well good metal anyway, but both have nothing to do with rap. The whole sampling thing prevents me from taking it as serious real music. The actual act of rapping sounds ridiculous and even the best rap lyrics can't complete with good poetry. Hip Hop culture never appealed to me, and there are many things about it that I find to be degrading and disgusting.

Jun 23, 2003 at 6:17 PM Post #25 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by MetalHead666
What are you talking about? I don't listen to crap like Slipknot, where they scream. That crap sounds like the entire music group is falling down the stairs. I listen to GOOD metal like Disturbed.

OMG!

Dude, Disturbed is NOT metal! It's Nu-Metal, which is an offshoot of RAP!!!
emotlol_2.gif

Jun 23, 2003 at 6:23 PM Post #26 of 782
Quote:

I don't know about you, but I know 0 white adults that listen to rap.

Ah, yes! White adults: the true barometer by which music is judged. After all, white adults are simply the most knowledgeable, classiest, and in-touch with the haute-couture. Yes, folks... white adults know what good music is.

- Chris

Jun 23, 2003 at 6:48 PM Post #27 of 782
Quote:

And I suppose some rap is not horrid to listen to, you guys are right about how every genre has their good stuff. I have never listened to underground rap. I am basing my opinion against rap on music by D12 or DMX. To me it all sounds the same.

I didn't mean to offend anyone. It's just that the way I look at it, Rap is just a phase some people get into, but eventually they get out of it. I don't know about you, but I know 0 white adults that listen to rap.

how old are you dude?

you know, metal was just a PHASE I went through too.. it ended when I turned 18
600smile.gif

seriously, I find equal amounts of absurdity in both metal and rap. However, there is also a lot of good in both.

Count me as one white adult (33) who listens to rap and metal on occasion.

There's a difference between Slipknot and Disturbed? Isn't that like someone saying "I don't listen to that Back Street Boys crap, I only listen to REAL boy bands like N'Sync" ???

280smile.gif

-jar

Jun 23, 2003 at 6:55 PM Post #28 of 782
Quote:

I don't know about you, but I know 0 white adults that listen to rap.

Sounds to me like you need to get out a little more.
wink.gif

And that's funny, Dissing the entirity of rap, while giving the group Disturbed as an example of what metal music you're referencing to as "good",
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2003 at 7:18 PM Post #29 of 782
I would guess he is under the age of 18 and still lives with his parents ...
redface.gif

Edit: I checked his profile. He's 15. Explains it all.

Jun 23, 2003 at 7:37 PM Post #30 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
For the record, rap is easily the biggest step in Western popular music for several decades. You have to go back to what... the 70's and punk? What else even competes?

Biggest step? Into what? Dog****?

Quote:

Originally posted by waylman
Eminem will never be considered old school you putz.

No, Eminem and school should never be mentioned in the same sentence.

Can't bash all rap though. There is some good stuff in all genre of music. Just gotta find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back