Rap Canalphones/Open Home Phones
Jun 14, 2005 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

sahwnfras

500+ Head-Fier
im looking for a pair of canalpohones for rap music. im lookign at spending about $200. I would get the super.fi 5EB's but i cant get them in canada. So if anyone knows of a bassy canaphone please reccomend it, dont include the ex-51/71 because i have them and they suck.

I am also lookign for a open home phone with then same criteria and same price range, so please roccomed me some nice phones

Jun 14, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 13
not sure how much the e5's can be had for, but they're probably the best canalphones for rap in that price range, cause of how exaggerated their bass is.

Jun 14, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #5 of 13
yeah but that is still way over my budget

I have been looking at shure e3, and e4's. but how much better is the e4. and would either be good enough for rap

Jun 15, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 13
I just posted a review of the E4c's and I'm definitely a hip-hop fan. I wasn't using an iPod and apparently there are some bass issues with the E4c's and the iPod, but people say the mp3gain works wonders in that department (there's a thread about it, where to get it, etc). I think the Shures are awesome, been working well with all hip-hop I've been listening to.

Jun 15, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #8 of 13
Hmm..

In this kind of situation, why not just combine the two different funds into one, and get one "mega phone"?
wink.gif
The Shure E5s are far beyond suitable for home phone use.

Otherwise, though, I think people are forgetting that rap music has a lot of emphasis on vocal, which means that you want a pure midrange as well. The Beyer cans don't do this so well, IMO - maybe you want to go for a Grado, which has AWESOME bass impact and really pure midrange? Just a thought
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #9 of 13
Grado? i always thought they were really a rock headphone. i never thought that they would go well with rap. but maybe it would go well. what would you reccomend for me

Jun 15, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #10 of 13
I agree 100% with Aman - whatever you end up going with, focus on the entire sound. I'm really enjoying hearing the mids in my hip-hop collection right now. I'm hearing lyrics that I never understood before, little musical elements that I didn't even realize were present.

Can't you order the Super.fi's from a US website and have them sent to Canada?

Jun 15, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #11 of 13
I really like listening to the mids when listening to rap, but i also like good bass and nice highs, will grados offer that. And cknelson are you using grados for rap, if so how do you liek them

Jun 15, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #12 of 13
Using Shure E4c's and really loving them. I'm on an iRiver though where I can boost the bass up to 24db's. Around 16db is when it really starts to get thick. Can't speak to how they sound on an iPod, but I think they're awesome. I've been listening to De La Soul, Mos Def, Outkast all while writing this and they sound fantastic. Bass in pronounced but not rattling.

If you really want the BIG bass, I hear the Super.Fi's are the way to go with canalphones, but that they lose some of the midrange detail the Shure's offer. Check out the other posts on mp3gain...people say these really bring otu the bass with the E4c/iPod combo.

Jun 15, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #13 of 13
i heard that the grado's bass is more of a slam than a boom. rap needs the boom. and the head rattling mids. i wish there was a type of headphones that could do anything.... sound wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back