Rant - unresanable buyer wants to return items.
Apr 28, 2015 at 8:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jasper9395

100+ Head-Fier
I've been having a bit of trouble with someone who bought a bunch of capacitors from me. Don't worry it's not someone from head-fi :). The sale happened through a Dutch site called marktplaats.nl, its our equivalent to gumtree. The caps I sold can be seen in this add. I used the same pictures.

I sold these caps to this guy and now he wants to return most of the items. He is saying that the leads on the caps are so short that he is unable to solder them to his pcb. He wants to return the 100uv 100v Elna caps, the Jantsen caps and the volume pots. Now in all honesty, I think he is being unreasonable. First of all, I am not denying the leads are short, but the caps are still usable. The Elna caps have short leads, of course they do. I used them. I had them on a pcb for a while. However, they are not short to the point that they are unusable. I am not saying its going to be a breeze soldering them but its not impossible. As for the larger Jantsen caps (which I previously used in a crossover) I think he is being really melodramatic, it is really easy to solder some wire to the leads if they are to short and connect them to a pcb that way. Last there are the volume pots. One of these has two solder lips cut short. Again, to me this does not make them unusable, there are still points to connect some wire to.

So, this guy wants a return. I told him 'no, I sold you usable materials, everything is is in working order, and as pictured'. The pictures I took are quite detailed so he should have noticed the short leads. Now here is the annoying part, this guy is actually claiming that I took the pictures in a way which makes the leads look longer. Also, throughout the entire transaction he never once wrote me a full sentence. When he got the package I immediately received a rude message from him. All of this just made me not want to accept his return. My suspicion is that he never acutely looked at the add properly. Now he's pissed because he spent money on things which he can't use the way he intended to use them and he is unwilling/unable to think of a solution that does not involve a return.

Anyway, thanks for reading my rant. I was just wandering what you people think of this situation. Would you have allowed him to return the items?

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 7
Ye that's what I thought, luckily my brother forgot to write a return address on the package when he sent it off for me. Now the guy who bought the caps keeps nagging me for it
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 7
I'm sorry to hear about your trouble with an unreasonable buyer. I once had an experience with an Amazon buyer who wanted to return something she bought from me because her son complained that he wanted something new and not used. This was despite the fact that the listing very clearly stated in the condition notes that it was used. Since it's Amazon, I had no choice but to authorize a return (lest I get slapped with an A-to-z claim), though since it was her mistake, she had to pay shipping.

The worst part: She gave me neutral feedback for her miscommunication (or perhaps non-communication) between her and her son. Thankfully for once Amazon removed the feedback after I complained to them.

Apr 29, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 7
Double check the headfi BST forum rules.  AFIAK all sales are final, unless the seller specifically states his terms for a refund/return in the FS ad.  Its not the other way around.

Your pictures are more than adequate to show what was being bought.

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #6 of 7
It wasn't sold on HF kramer ^^ but anyway, in my opinion the rule ''sales are final'' doesn't leave room for building trust and does not make a good deal a great deal. Ofcourse it doesn't need to be great and fantastic all the time but it makes a difference. Sales are final comes across as a seller saying, put your money in my account and after I send the goods you are on your own. I wish you lots of luck with whatever situation you will be in. I don't like that approach none too much. Why not leave a little bit of room left for unforseen or special circumstances. In the OP's case though I think I wouldn't have honored a refund either for the sole reason the buyer went rude. If you can't speak respectfully you're permanently closing ALL doors real quick! BAM!

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #7 of 7
Yes, in the end it was his rudeness that just did not make me want to accept any return. If he had been polite and explained his situation I would have seriously considered it. All he had to do was say to me 'listen, this is not what I had in mind when I bought this stuff could I return some of it'. Instead he said 'your not going to get away with this' was going to report me and that my pictures were misleading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back