Rant RESOLVED: Audiogon 'Staff' is screwing me over!
Apr 2, 2008 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

skullguise

Headphoneus Supremus
I listed a FS ad yesterday. A Turntable "package," consisting of the TT, an upgraded platter, an external power supply, and optionally a phono pre. Did NOT list a sepaarte price for anything, and said 'd sell the phono pre as part of the deal.

I get a violation email, saying I failed the one-item-one-ad rule. Since it was my "first violation" they credited my account and expired the listing.

I replied in email, asking HOW it violated, since I wasn't listing the items separately, ONLY offering as a package. I got a decent reply back, apologizing & saying it was NOT a violation, and I could relist.

So I do that....

...and find this morning I got a SECOND violation of their one-item-one-ad rule. Since it's my second, I lose my listing fee.

What??????!!!!!!

I reply again, this time sending their own email back to them...the one where they said I WASN'T in violation. I asked for several things:

1) Remove any violation flags on my account
2) Credit my account for the listing fee (again!)
3) Allow relisting without further harrasment

I also asked to be in contact with the head of their "moderating" team; s/he needs to know what they did, and _I_ need to know that this won't happen yet again.

I sent that early this morning. No reply. To their credit, they replied within about 10 minutes the first time I emailed.

Emailed again this evening. No reply.

Any suggestions on how I can get this resolved? I'm tempted to pass this around to ANY audio site I can find....it is ridiculous that they did this.

I have had almost 200 excellent transactions on Audiogon. Aside from picture loading issues, I've NEVER had a problem with them, or the people with whom I've dealt from there.

But this is just incompetence IMO.

End rant....

Apr 2, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 16
You know some people just troll Audiogon and eBay looking for any and all violations to report. Some one might be messing with you and reporting your listings? I doubt anyone is actively checking listings unless they are reported.

Mitch

Apr 2, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 16
"optionally a phono pre. Did NOT list a sepaarte price for anything, and said 'd sell the phono pre as part of the deal."

So in essence you listed 2 products? It’s nit picking but true?

I believe multiple listings are only allowed in Accesories and Tubes.

“So if I list a pair of headphones with removeable cables they're going to consider them separate items?”

Only if you offer the cable for an additional price. Stock HD650’s for $300 and $250 more for an aftermarket cable.

It’s their forum and they make the rules.

Mitch

Apr 2, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #7 of 16
Oh my!
Their forum and their rules. Like it or not...

Apr 2, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 16
confused.gif
I see so many multiple item listings on audiogon...I didn't even know there was a rule against it since I see so many of them.

Apr 2, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh my!
Their forum and their rules. Like it or not...

That hardly seemed to be the case. According to the OP Audiogon staff already apologized for the previous "violation" and said it was a mistake on their part to take down the listing.

And then they went ahead and took down a second listing that should not be in violation IN THEIR OWN WORDS.

I guess it just amounts to bad communication between their mods.

Apr 2, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #10 of 16
"Their forum and their rules. Like it or not..."

When people visit your house whose rules do they obey?

Enough said. If you don't like it start your own sucessful Audio Website. People bitch about Audiogon policies ad-nauseusm but truth be told it's The Place to sell audio gear. It's called "The Gone" for a reason.

Mitch

Apr 2, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Enough said. If you don't like it start your own sucessful Audio Website. People bitch about Audiogon policies ad-nauseusm but truth be told it's The Place to sell audio gear. It's called "The Gone" for a reason.

Mitch

Mitch,

What's so hard to understand about Todd's complaint? He got approval from them to run the add (after the first deletion) and then got his add deleted again and his fees confiscated as a result. Seems like a pretty clear cut and dry matter to me, either he was given some bad information by Audiogon Admin's the first time around and is entitled to a refund of his fees and no black mark on his record or the add was errantly deleted the second time around and should be reinstated, again with a clean record intact. Get it through your head, he's been told that he's not in violation of the rules. So when people come to your house do you get upset with them for following your rules?
rolleyes.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Mitch

Wow -- did you read the post?

Apr 2, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mitch,

What's so hard to understand about Todd's complaint? He got approval from them to run the add (after the first deletion) and then got his add deleted again and his fees confiscated as a result. Seems like a pretty clear cut and dry matter to me, either he was given some bad information by Audiogon Admin's the first time around and is entitled to a refund of his fees and no black mark on his record or the add was errantly deleted the second time around and should be reinstated, again with a clean record intact. Get it through your head, he's been told that he's not in violation of the rules. So when people come to your house do you get upset with them for following your rules?
rolleyes.gif

Thanks Nate, that is exactly the point. Once they told him his ad was not in violation and asked him to resubmit it, then they need to assume full responsibility. There is no fuzzy line here.

Apr 3, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #14 of 16
Wow, didn't check this thread....some fun updates.

Thanks for all the good comments. Mitch is right in a way, if indeed I DID list multiple things with separate prices, they have every right to take it down. But as others pointed out, Audiogon DID say it was OK, no violation. But it's their site, and their rules. I DO respect that.

Just to clarify my ad, though: I had the phono pre as a package option, and even stated in my ad I wouldn't sell it separately; that if not sold, I'd keep it or list again standalone. I ultimately think that's what kept it "legal" in their eyes when it was reviewed again.

The scary part is, I see a LOT of ads for speakers, where it's a HT set that has individual parts itemized for sale, or even speakers with stands itemized. By definition, these should be violations. But - and to their credit IMO - Audiogon allows it because they are so very closely related, even if they may not sell together. I think it just makes sense.

Anway...this all has a happy ending. Though it took them about 30+ hours, they apologized again, refunded my fee, told me FOR SURE
tongue.gif
I could relist, and even confirmed in a follow up that my "record" was cleared. Heck, I even got a more personalized note from someone with a name! I was just frustrated because it took so long, especially when their first correction/apology was within about 10 minutes!

So, all is well in the world again. I still like and will use Audiogon, it has the best exposure to the "target market" for audio of all sorts, and a flat $6 fee - while not as good as the free ads here at our glorious site - are a far cry from the costs of selling on eBay.

Thanks again for all the posts.....still love it here the most, but I'll still buy and sell there, too.

Apr 3, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Mitch

Did you even read what happened? +1 to the ignore list because I'm tired of reading useless posts, i.e. "Fat Fingers."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back