Rant over Sony`s DAPs
Feb 10, 2017 at 11:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rochester21

New Head-Fier
I`ve learned that sometimes it is best to express the anger inside rather than simply wait for it to pass. And i have been fustrated with sony`s portable players for years, and especially with their digital players from the last 10+ years.  If it weren`t for their total lack of interest towards creating a decent portable digital player, probably nobody would have heard of the "Ipod", Sansa Clip, Iriver and Fiio.  But because Sony and other top companies focused more on developing extremely cheap-sounding and cheaply built portable players, obviously someone else was bound to fill the gap.  And then they complain about losing market share etc.

Let me just give one example. Compare a totally average cassette walkman from the early 2000s like the wm-ex500 or a high-end minidisc walkman like the R900 with a modern player like say nwz-E390 or a high end nwz-ZX2.  I cannot directly comment on the sound quality of the ZX2 simply because it is ridiculously expensive, but it`s safe to say that the R900 and the EX500 will beat the average mp3 walkman by a large margin.  Better sound even when coming from a obsolete medium like the audio cassette, better build quality, better volume, better serviceability, much easier to use and far lesser chance of damaging it beyond repair.   Not to mention the fact that not even the 1000 dollar worth ZX2 does not have a microphone or audio input or the ability to record audio(except maybe for a crappy microphone and the option to record voice memos).  

Unlike music kept on flash memory which gets corrupted after about 3 years, a cassette or minidisc will last for more than 20 years, allowing you to enjoy your music even after the warranty expires(imagine that).

None of the current models have a replaceable battery, something we took for granted until the ipod came along.  But no worries, because sony guarantees us a battery life of at least "30 hours" for any model. Well guess what, i never found any digital player from sony with a battery life of more than 7 hours. If you`re on a long trip or on vacation, might as well buy a bunch of players or carry a few external chargers with you.  Or you could listen to 64kbs files at low volume and without ever using the screen- genius.

It took sony a decade to develop the current "high resolution" players, after realising that people were so desperate for a quality portable player that they turned to virtually unknown companies such as Iriver or Fiio or even worse they started using their mobile phones as mp3 players simply because the integrated audio of these phones was on par or even better than their top of the line A series digital player.  I mean, is that stupid or what?  A japanese corporation worth 18 billion was incapable of developing a proper DAP before everyone else started doing it, even small companies.  That`s what i call inspiration.

As a final slap in the face to the devoted sony customer which i used to be, the new "high resolution" players from sony are so ridiculously overpriced that a person working for a living like me has few chances of actually affording one.  Most of the sony walkmans in my collection(about 20) are bought used and most of them work fine until today, even though they are are 15 years old or more and they were built in Japan, unlike the modern c**p. What are my odds of finding a proper functioning "high resolution player" 15 years from now? I would say slim to none.  If anything, 15 years from now these players will have worn-out internal batteries which probably will be impossible to replace.

So in the end of my rant, i would like to thank sony for killing the walkman and for treating all their customers like mindless idiots(a marketing strategy they copied from Apple).  Now, who`s got a Fiio X3 for sale?

Jan 7, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #2 of 9
Lol. Was fun to read. Thanks for sharing.

It was fun to read partially because I jist bought the wm1a brand new and is my very very first sony new "high resolution player"

Jan 7, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #3 of 9
I`ve learned that sometimes it is best to express the anger inside rather than simply wait for it to pass. And i have been fustrated with sony`s portable players for years, and especially with their digital players from the last 10+ years. If it weren`t for their total lack of interest towards creating a decent portable digital player, probably nobody would have heard of the "Ipod", Sansa Clip, Iriver and Fiio. But because Sony and other top companies focused more on developing extremely cheap-sounding and cheaply built portable players, obviously someone else was bound to fill the gap. And then they complain about losing market share etc.

Let me just give one example. Compare a totally average cassette walkman from the early 2000s like the wm-ex500 or a high-end minidisc walkman like the R900 with a modern player like say nwz-E390 or a high end nwz-ZX2. I cannot directly comment on the sound quality of the ZX2 simply because it is ridiculously expensive, but it`s safe to say that the R900 and the EX500 will beat the average mp3 walkman by a large margin. Better sound even when coming from a obsolete medium like the audio cassette, better build quality, better volume, better serviceability, much easier to use and far lesser chance of damaging it beyond repair. Not to mention the fact that not even the 1000 dollar worth ZX2 does not have a microphone or audio input or the ability to record audio(except maybe for a crappy microphone and the option to record voice memos).

Unlike music kept on flash memory which gets corrupted after about 3 years, a cassette or minidisc will last for more than 20 years, allowing you to enjoy your music even after the warranty expires(imagine that).

None of the current models have a replaceable battery, something we took for granted until the ipod came along. But no worries, because sony guarantees us a battery life of at least "30 hours" for any model. Well guess what, i never found any digital player from sony with a battery life of more than 7 hours. If you`re on a long trip or on vacation, might as well buy a bunch of players or carry a few external chargers with you. Or you could listen to 64kbs files at low volume and without ever using the screen- genius.

It took sony a decade to develop the current "high resolution" players, after realising that people were so desperate for a quality portable player that they turned to virtually unknown companies such as Iriver or Fiio or even worse they started using their mobile phones as mp3 players simply because the integrated audio of these phones was on par or even better than their top of the line A series digital player. I mean, is that stupid or what? A japanese corporation worth 18 billion was incapable of developing a proper DAP before everyone else started doing it, even small companies. That`s what i call inspiration.

As a final slap in the face to the devoted sony customer which i used to be, the new "high resolution" players from sony are so ridiculously overpriced that a person working for a living like me has few chances of actually affording one. Most of the sony walkmans in my collection(about 20) are bought used and most of them work fine until today, even though they are are 15 years old or more and they were built in Japan, unlike the modern c**p. What are my odds of finding a proper functioning "high resolution player" 15 years from now? I would say slim to none. If anything, 15 years from now these players will have worn-out internal batteries which probably will be impossible to replace.

So in the end of my rant, i would like to thank sony for killing the walkman and for treating all their customers like mindless idiots(a marketing strategy they copied from Apple). Now, who`s got a Fiio X3 for sale?
Thats the corporate way.

No respect for their loyal customers. Sony is more than capable of making great products but they're very greedy, cheap, and expect customers to pay ridiculous amounts of money for it.

Japanese companies especially love proprietary things. Ripping off their customers with proprietary software, connectors, etc.

You'd think they'd learn their lesson by now but unfortunately, it works because people in general are idiots.

Look at what apple does, same thing but they take it to an exponential level. When the iphones were in at their peak demand, they made their customers wait like animals outside of the stores to buy an overpriced smartphone. They charge $80 for a crappy 1 button mouse. They make inferior and extremely overpriced products and somehow brainwash their customers into buying these products and thinking they bought some kind of top of the line product.

The apple fanboys are the worst, like cult worshippers that refuse to believe they've been duped regardless of what evidence you show them.

If we've learned anything from history, it should be that we as consumers can dictate to these companies that these things are not acceptable and boycott all their products in protest. Its been done and its worked in the past. But again people in general are idiots.

In the end, its the blindly loyal customers that are to blame for supporting this behavior. After all, they wouldn't do it if it didn't work...

Jan 7, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 9
Dunno, Man. My ZX300 provides excellent battery life. Compared to my Shanling, xDuoo, and HiBy players it's no contest. Excellent build quality and form factor. Pretty happy with it TBH.

Jan 7, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #5 of 9
Mechanical media on the go? There's a great reason it's gone and every walkman cassette player needed repair after a couple years. Nothing like those disposable batteries, LOL.
Sony prices have always been higher than their mainstream competition but it's a company with proven competency. As for SD cards lifespan, it's typically over 5 years fro any decent card and the quality of card can increase that by a factor of 2 or more. Who doesn't back up that sort of data anyway and storage is cheap? Want even more reliability? Get an industrial card with MLC and wear leveling.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 9
Lol.

I thoroughly enjoy my Sony DAP’s.

Jan 8, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #7 of 9
Not sure why it is a must to have internal microphone for a music player? It’s not a sound recorder. Although Sony has a PCM-D10 which is both a high res player and sound recorder and also runs on 4 x AA batteries

Cassette tapes and minidisc have very limited song storage.

Cassette tape will lose magnetism over time, subject to read head wear and tear and also suffer from mould and fungal growth. Data rot can happen to all media including minidisc, just a matter of time, backing up is the key here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/minidisc/comments/g64vna/disc_rot/

Legacy cassette tape and minidisc media are now hard to find and might increase in price as rarity goes up.

Cheap flash memory don’t cost a lot and can be found almost anywhere around the world. Even if it gets corrupted after 3 years, it doesn’t cost a fortune to buy a 512GB. Also most memory card would last a much longer time, especially if you buy the higher endurance cards or even better go for industrial models which has specifications that can retain data for as long as 10years.

Minidisc may develop issues with its laser mechanism or even motor drive failures.

So the FiiO X3 still has internal battery, runs on Nand flash as well? What makes this FiiO any better than the cheaper Sony Walkmans like the A50?

Also the battery life quoted by other dap manufacturers also don’t hit the mark. I think these other dap manufacturers have even worse real world battery life.

Can you point to the article where Sony complained about losing market share?

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #9 of 9
I like old threads that are randomly resurrected 🤭

Users who are viewing this thread

Back