Rant on iPod : nagging flaws that would be easy to fix! Bad Apple!
Nov 20, 2003 at 1:52 PM Post #16 of 49
I like the touch buttons (maybe I am the only one) and I also tend to overshoot when scrolling, so I like the fact that it does not wrap z->a.

I agree about the scrolling text though. I have a few albums that are two cd sets and I can never tell which disk I am playing.

Nov 20, 2003 at 5:04 PM Post #17 of 49
When you're talking about having scrolling titles, is that in the song/album/playlist selection screen? When a song is playing, I know that the title scrolls. Do you want album and artist to scroll too?

Nov 20, 2003 at 5:57 PM Post #18 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by FrostyMMB
When you're talking about having scrolling titles, is that in the song/album/playlist selection screen? When a song is playing, I know that the title scrolls. Do you want album and artist to scroll too?

For me, it's annoying when browsing classical music. Unless you have a piece memorized, you can't tell until the song is playing (when the title scrolls) which movement it is. Sometimes, I just want to listen to a adagio or allegro movement.

--Chris

Nov 20, 2003 at 6:14 PM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by Lilac_Wine
I like the touch buttons (maybe I am the only one) and I also tend to overshoot when scrolling, so I like the fact that it does not wrap z->a.

I agree about the scrolling text though. I have a few albums that are two cd sets and I can never tell which disk I am playing.

List wrap is a really useful feature. So what if you overshoot Z to A. Just scroll back up. How is that any different if you were looking for something in the R's and accidently scrolled past to the S's? You just scoll back.

You'll really appreciate being able to list wrap when you're looking for ZZ Top, Yes and U2 and have to scroll down through thousands of artists.

redface.gif

Nov 20, 2003 at 7:32 PM Post #20 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by GSTom1
List wrap is a really useful feature. So what if you overshoot Z to A. Just scroll back up. How is that any different if you were looking for something in the R's and accidently scrolled past to the S's? You just scoll back.

You'll really appreciate being able to list wrap when you're looking for ZZ Top, Yes and U2 and have to scroll down through thousands of artists.

redface.gif

Exactly, no reason anyone shouldn't want it, unless you like to just keep holding up for 3 minutes just to make sure you get to your A.A. Milne and not ABBA
tongue.gif

Nov 20, 2003 at 7:40 PM Post #21 of 49
Actually I like just holding down so that I know I will get to Yo La Tengo - usually last on my list. Although I do occasionally sync Warren Zevon or The Zombies in which case my system gets messed up.
etysmile.gif

Nov 21, 2003 at 5:41 AM Post #22 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
sure. anything. just give me a few more options. sheesh

You're asking the wrong company.

I'm disappointed at all the apologists here. How can you justify these two glaring mistakes? Has no one had a song big enough that it rolls over the tiny 2" screen? Hell i couldn't even imagine this in Winamp, which has plenty of pixels to play with. Scrolling song names is a must, not a "feature".

Same with the "ability" to stop at the end of the list. So you're always looking for the last song in the playlist? How convenient.
rolleyes.gif

If you think you'll overshoot, you can just scroll back. What a concept huh?

Sorry to go on a rant. Apologists of a company, any company always piss me off.

Nov 21, 2003 at 5:51 AM Post #23 of 49
Sorry, just can't agree with you here. My Audiotron (a sterei comonent MP3 player) scrolls around, and it is annoying to me -- I really prefer scrolls that stop at the end of the list. I can understand how others could feel differently, though.

Nov 21, 2003 at 2:41 PM Post #24 of 49
Those are two of my very biggest beefs with my ipod, especially number. It would so much easier to browse with the wrap around list.

Unfortunately for gen1/2 users, you will probably never see another firmware upgrade.

Nov 21, 2003 at 8:54 PM Post #27 of 49
Think about it this way. They control 60%+ of the market last time I looked. As we all know, quality MP3 players are far and few between. Now I don't want to start a debate here, I just want to state that the competition has finally begun to follow Apple's lead. Also, remember this. It was only recently that Toshiba was able to sell the smaller 1.8" HD to companies other than Apple. They have been in an exclusive selling agreement until this year. Now, we should start to see the longer battery life, wrap text, and better UI, along with the A to Z feature. If it isn't Apple to step up, I'll bet my last GB that one of the other co's will beat them to the punch.

My three cents.

PS. I'm keeping my 3G 30G'er until I see a 60 with EVERYTHING on my wish list. It may be a while. And by the way, I travel with my power plug
frown.gif

Nov 21, 2003 at 9:20 PM Post #28 of 49
Better UI from other HD player might be tough. Apple's implementation of the "wheel" is by far the best navigation method out of all the HD players, imo. So if it works so well, why does other company work so hard coming up with other methods?

The easy answer: Apple has patents. They've already sued one or two company that tried implementing the "wheel" ideas, albeit just slightly different; and they've won those lawsuits.

Nov 22, 2003 at 4:47 AM Post #30 of 49
That's odd, song titles do scroll on mine. Perhaps that is something added in the 2.1 firmware update? (Which I do not recommend applying unless it shipped with it, as mine did. I have heard far too much grief on the Apple boards.)

My biggest gripe with it is not doing a simple buffer carry-over to the next song for gapless playback. I listen to a lot of stuff like ambient that tends to move seemlessly from track to track, and the little pause-click-pause in between tracks interrupts the experience.

I also wish it handled the ER4S a bit better all by itself -- but really, that would be too much to expect. The thing would be the size of the Cosmic.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back