rant about the hobby
Oct 31, 2005 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 88

helix

100+ Head-Fier
i was reading thru posts and saw members telling other members to burn in their cables (power and line level), also to burn in their cd player to make it sound better???
rolleyes.gif

are we living in fairy magic land where things don't have no rhyme or reason they just happen. i would really like to hear the reasoning behind this.
confused.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 10:04 AM Post #2 of 88
I've never heard burn-in. I've also never bought two of the same item and tried to hear.

"give it 100 hours and it'll get better"
rolleyes.gif

No thanks.
No one seems to mention burn-in with their new TVs; they're great straight away.
confused.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 12:47 PM Post #3 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by helix
i was reading thru posts and saw members telling other members to burn in their cables (power and line level), also to burn in their cd player to make it sound better???
rolleyes.gif

are we living in fairy magic land where things don't have no rhyme or reason they just happen. i would really like to hear the reasoning behind this.
confused.gif

You've been a member for less than 40 days and this is what you post for your second post?

Do you really want to stir this pot?
rolleyes.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #8 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
No one seems to mention burn-in with their new TVs; they're great straight away.
confused.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

actually... with plasma tv's... there's break-in to prevent burn-in.

you want to run the tv at reduced brightness/contrast levels for the first 100-200 hours or so, and then still be somewhat careful about static images for the first 1000 hours or so, to prevent ghosting.

after the pixels are aged evenly through this process, plasmas are much more resistant.

so there you have it, at least one empirical example of an electronic device that does benefit from some sort of break-in.

Oct 31, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #9 of 88
Quote:

confused.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually yes they do, if you are into home theater at all it is fairly common knowledge that all TV's need to callibrated to some degree and it is always recommended that callibration does not get done sometimes till a few months into ownership.

Oct 31, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #10 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
actually... with plasma tv's... there's break-in to prevent burn-in.

you want to run the tv at reduced brightness/contrast levels for the first 100-200 hours or so, and then still be somewhat careful about static images for the first 1000 hours or so, to prevent ghosting.

after the pixels are aged evenly through this process, plasmas are much more resistant.

so there you have it, at least one empirical example of an electronic device that does benefit from some sort of break-in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
Actually yes they do, if you are into home theater at all it is fairly common knowledge that all TV's need to callibrated to some degree and it is always recommended that callibration does not get done sometimes till a few months into ownership.

Oh, OK.
It's true I don't know much about HT.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm pointing to the contrast with audiophilia where you'll often read of someone not listening to a component or cable for up to 150 hours of use because they're burning it in.
I don't recall anyone saying they won't watch their new screen until they've given it some burn-in time. Maybe I missed those comments?

Oct 31, 2005 at 4:47 PM Post #11 of 88
I'm pretty sure that I've heard it with speakers and headphones.... Break-in is pretty well confirmed (by measurement of T/S parameters, see DIYAudio) for transducers.

For everything else I'm a bit more skeptical. I thought I heard a difference with power amplifiers but it was so gradual that I could be wrong. There is a (somewhat) scientific explanation for it though... given a bit of use the internal chemistries of caps change a bit... Whether or not that change also changes the sound probably depends on implementation.

For CD players I don't know if I back burn in per say... except to the extent that caps effect their sound. What I do know is that some DACs take an insanely long time to warm up to their potential. Indeed, some people have suggested (and my own listening more or less confirms) that it takes a DAC 48 hours to reach its potential. Thus a lot of burn in may just be just letting the DAC have its morning stretches. (I didn't believe this one either until I experimented some!)

Cables? Can't say I've observed it.

Oct 31, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #12 of 88
Quote:

Oh, OK.

I'm pointing to the contrast with audiophilia where you'll often read of someone not listening to a component or cable for up to 150 hours of use because they're burning it in.

Ah right I see your point and also agree it is pretty stupid to not even listen until you've put a few hundred hours on it.

Oct 31, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #13 of 88
Well I suppose the headphone burn-in is on more solid ground but cable burn-in seems to me to be one of those false memes that replicates like a virus
frown.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #14 of 88
I haven't noticed cable burn-in either. Amps yes (although it doesn't take long), headphones definitely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back