going only from the IEM's i've actually heard:

1.) klipsch x10
2.) sf5p
3.) shure scl4
4.) pfe
5.) denon ach-551
6.) cx500

then various other stock and >=$20 earphones

this is purely preference based. But i HAVE listened to or owned all of the listed sets

Mar 16, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #18 of 85
1) Sennheiser IE8...

I only have 1 expensive IEM
redface.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #19 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ could you please explain why the scl3 beats the PFE?

well i know that this opinion is not very well regarded and I have received some flack in the past for talking negatively of the almight PFE (read: sarcasm).
wink_face.gif

Well, I just recently heard the scl3 that my good friend purchased when his scl4 had been back-ordered by musician's friend for, literally, 2 months.

So, i gave them a listen with some black foams and was VERY impressed. I found them to be surprisingly clear and smooth. As a bass lover, I typically find bass-lite headphones rather boring with the ad700 and scl3 as exceptions.

To me, the scl3 have a great soundsignature for jazz and acoustic music. They seem to be laid back whereas the PFE are more in-your-face and, I don't much like an in-your-face sound from neutral-leaning can and earphones. I like in-you-face and warm or laid-back and neutral.

Mar 16, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #20 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When it comes to the top of the line universal earphones....There is no earphone better than the other.....It is all musical preference.

x2

that said for me the best ive heard is the se530, its the next few places that id have trouble ranking

Mar 16, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #21 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by GabeJacobs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I thought it would be a pretty cool thing if Head-Fi could have a ranking of the top 20/10 IEM's contributed by completely user base. I think there should be a voting system of some kind where you rank your top 10/20 and it is put into the system. The average vote will be the outcome. I think the administrators should think about this and if you all agree that this would be cool, say so in this thread.

For now, comment off with your top 10 or so. Your choices should not be based on price, just pure quality. I'll give mine, but I definitely do not know nearly as much about these headphones as most of you.

1. UE-11
2. UE-10
3. Shure SE530
4. Westone 3
5. Sennheiser IE8
6. Triple.fi 10
7. Etymotic ER•4
8. Audeo PFE
9. Westone UM2
10. Sennheiser IE7

These are objectionable. Some may think others are better than others just because of the kind of style they like. But that is okay, say exactly what you think!

this is ridiculous; have you actually heard/owned ANY of them??

and i'm with the guys who also say that once you get to a certain level of IEM; there is only different flavours. although there are some exceptons to re rule, with some full customs likely being notably 'better' than the top universals. ES3X being the one i'm going for very shortly

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #22 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is ridiculous; have you actually heard/owned ANY of them??

and i'm with the guys who also say that once you get to a certain level of IEM; there is only different flavours. although there are some exceptons to re rule, with some full customs likely being notably 'better' than the top universals. ES3X being the one i'm going for very shortly

Hey come on man, it is his opinion, each person has individual preferences, I dont think you are in any position to comment on others likes and dislikes.

It is his opinion and not facts, for heaven sake.

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #23 of 85
The overall ranking posts never do too well here, but what I will do is rank the IEM's I have.

1) Shure SE530 (by a mile)
2) Denon D1001
3) Koss KSC75
4) Grado SR60
5) UE Super fi 5 Pro
6) Yuin PK2
7) Sony EX082
8) UE Super fi 5 EB
9) Audio Technica SQ5
10) JVC Marshmallows (modded)
11) Sennheiser PX100
12) Shure SE210
13) Sennheiser HD457

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #24 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatwunguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i know that this opinion is not very well regarded and I have received some flack in the past for talking negatively of the almight PFE (read: sarcasm).
wink_face.gif

Well, I just recently heard the scl3 that my good friend purchased when his scl4 had been back-ordered by musician's friend for, literally, 2 months.

So, i gave them a listen with some black foams and was VERY impressed. I found them to be surprisingly clear and smooth. As a bass lover, I typically find bass-lite headphones rather boring with the ad700 and scl3 as exceptions.

To me, the scl3 have a great soundsignature for jazz and acoustic music. They seem to be laid back whereas the PFE are more in-your-face and, I don't much like an in-your-face sound from neutral-leaning can and earphones. I like in-you-face and warm or laid-back and neutral.

were you in that giant PFE vs se530 thread? It's funny when the PFE gets negative reviews people have to come out and defend it. I find that it edges the scl4 in overall sound quality. Though I still perfer the scl4 in "fun" quality.

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #25 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by legend24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey come on man, it is his opinion, each person has individual preferences, I dont think you are in any position to comment on others likes and dislikes.

His opinions based on other peoples opinions which in turn could very well be based on others opinions!

A list is not a bad idea provided you have actually owned/heard the phones but when you haven't it just makes a complete mockery of it since there is no tangible constant/control present.

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #26 of 85
1-Earback 3T SBass
2-Earback Music 2Way (My favourites)
3-Earsonics EM2-Pro
4-Westone 3
5-Westone UM2//Sleek SA6 with W1 (Bass++ ,Treble +)
6-Etymotic ER4-P
7-Sleek SA6
8-Shure E4C
9-Soundmagic PL-30
10-JVC-FX55
11-Sony MDR-51 (not sure about name)
12-Koss Plug
13-Samsung Pixon in-ear phone

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #27 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by communic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A list is not a bad idea provided you have actually owned/heard the phones but when you haven't it just makes a complete mockery of it since there is no tangible constant/control present.

Again, what would we do with a list like this anyhow?

If I post a list ranking IEMs I've actually heard, then that represents my order of preference. If the community at large compiled a ranked list, then that would be a list of general preference only. I couldn't take that list and know that the IEM ranked at #2 will be something I will like more than the IEM ranked at #3 or #4. I really don't see much value in this.

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #28 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by legend24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

sorry man, but its not an opinion unless you have actually heard it; anything else is conjecture, rumour and hearsay. I just think we have enough lists around here to have another one that is simply a regurgitation of other people's opinions. I have no problem with an opinion in fact I encourage it; I just dont think its helpful to anyone to encourage lists of rated IEM's without actually having personal experience. its also a good lesson to the OP, one I had to learn myself; that it is not wise to form a judgement based purely on other people's opinions.

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #29 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry man, but its not an opinion unless you have actually heard it; anything else is conjecture, rumour and hearsay. I just think we have enough lists around here to have another one that is simply a regurgitation of other people's opinions. I have no problem with an opinion in fact I encourage it; I just dont think its helpful to anyone to encourage lists of rated IEM's without actually having personal experience. its also a good lesson to the OP, one I had to learn myself; that it is not wise to form a judgement based purely on other people's opinions.

I think you misunderstood me
Like you said opinion
opinion are of each individual preferences, even though he may or may not heard, its still up to him anyway and the public to judge
And Im sure the public can distinguish whether to take in opinion seriously based on either facts or fiction. I am totally with you on this one.

I dont have any issues pertaining to him posting top ten list online, what I meant was that, I do not think that someone posting their harmless view online deserve to be ridiculed by reply like "this is ridiculous"

Peaceout
jecklinsmile.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #30 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again, what would we do with a list like this anyhow?

If I post a list ranking IEMs I've actually heard, then that represents my order of preference. If the community at large compiled a ranked list, then that would be a list of general preference only. I couldn't take that list and know that the IEM ranked at #2 will be something I will like more than the IEM ranked at #3 or #4. I really don't see much value in this.

Not particularly advocating a list as it could never be absolute but I can see it could be of value if you can extrapolate the info from it. For example, if you can pick up on the trends of an iem owner and it's somewhat similar to yours then you can maybe deduce that their number 1 ranked iem is the one to go for. Equally, if there is another list that is comprised of mostly the antithesis to your own preferences, then again, it could be very likely their No.1 is not for you.

Pretty much forms the basis of head fi purchases as many do not get to listen to a product beforehand so it can be helpful to gauge what you're buying in hope that the right choice can be made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back