Ranking for last 3 Sennheiser generations?
Aug 3, 2005 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

sgrossklass

Headphoneus Supremus
(The "ordinary" HD5xx stuff, I mean.) For the last two, I guess it's 555 < 590 < 595 if you don't mind the different presentation of the 590 and 590 < 555 < 595 if you do. But where does, say, the old 565 fit in?

Aug 3, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 19
I haven't heard any 5xx of the newest generation, but from the previous two generations this is my experience based on models I've owned or listened to extensively:

HD570 < HD590 < HD545 < HD580

The funny thing is that the one I like least is the one I've kept the longest because of its comfort and cheap price.

Aug 3, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 19
HD565 > all 5x5
biggrin.gif

But seriously. I have the 565 and the 595 and there is no contest between the two. The 565 is so much better in every area, except maybe the bass (the 595's bass is a little tighter and better defined). The HD595 was a big disappointment for me
frown.gif
. I bought it without auditioning, and it was kind of an expensive mistake...
I was thinking that because it's "new generation" it must sound better than my 8 year old 565... i was wrong. If the 595 is any indication (i haven't heard the 555/515) this new 5x5 line is a disgrace to the old 5x5's...

IMO of course

Aug 3, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 19
There are actually only a few rules that even approach constant...

HD500 < HD570 < HD590

HD515 < HD555 < HD595

HD525 < HD535 < HD545 <= HD565 < HD580
(afaik, never tried the 525 and 535 myself but they were at the bottom of the old line; HD545:HD565::HD580:HD600)

Exactly how each of these meld together depends on what sort of sound signature you like. Each of those lines that I listed has a fairly common sound signature, and each of them sound quite different from each other. I don't think that anyone would place the HD500 and HD570, at least, anywhere but the bottom of a common list, but hey, maybe someone feels differently.

If you can't audition them all (which you probably can't, the old ones are difficult to locate), then try to get one from each sound signature line and figure out base sound signature which you like most.

Aug 3, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 19
nothingface: What are you running the 595 off? (Particularly the 50 ohm variant needs an output with low output impedance and decent current drive capability, like the stuff used to drive Grados except maybe with a touch more gain.) Have you broken 'em in reasonably well? My new 535s (NOS
biggrin.gif
) sounded pretty hollow until I fixed that with a few hours of insane-level playback (to accelerate break-in).

Aug 3, 2005 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
nothingface: What are you running the 595 off? (Particularly the 50 ohm variant needs an output with low output impedance and decent current drive capability, like the stuff used to drive Grados except maybe with a touch more gain.) Have you broken 'em in reasonably well? My new 535s (NOS
biggrin.gif
) sounded pretty hollow until I fixed that with a few hours of insane-level playback (to accelerate break-in).

Break-in is done (several hundred hours).

I use the 595 (50 ohm) with a Marantz CD67SE and a Pioneer A401 intergrated amp. I don't know the impedance of the Pioneer's headphone out, but it's probably pretty high. I also tried it with a NAD integrated, but it wasn't any better. Anyway, i'm planning to buy a Corda HA1-MKII, which has a zero ohm output, so we'll see if the 595 sings better with it... although I don't expect any miracles.

Sorry for my bad english, everybody...

BTW, what's NOS??

Aug 3, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by nothingface
Anyway, i'm planning to buy a Corda HA1-MKII, which has a zero ohm output, so we'll see if the 595 sings better with it... although I don't expect any miracles.

Lessee... LM6171 with BUF634, pretty good. Shouldn't have much trouble driving the HD595... you might be in for a surprise.

Quote:

BTW, what's NOS??

New Old Stock. I.e. it gathered dust in some hi-fi shop for years (or at least the packaging did
wink.gif
) - until it found its way to eBay, in this case.

Aug 3, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #8 of 19
Out of all the Senns that I'm intimately familiar with:

HD500 (garbage) <<<< HD280 Pro (nice for budget) < HD590 (nice in general) < HD595 (slightly nicer) < HD600 (nicer still) << HE90 (Godlike)

HD500 is for grade-school gangsta' wannabe commercial rap listening kiddies who think that distortion = bass. The HE90 is in a different universe sonically from the rest of the Senns, save for probably the HE60, which I haven't heard yet. If there are headphones in Heaven, they would be these! All the rest are very good dynamic phones.

Aug 4, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #9 of 19
Interesting opinions so far. Keep 'em coming!
smily_headphones1.gif

(BTW, a HD565 has been on my "me want" list for some time, maybe I'll get lucky on eBay one day. One has to be a bit careful when buying these, as the TCO will be too high if the pads have to be replaced instantly. 565 w/ worn-off pads + new pads will cost more than a lightly used 580...)

Aug 4, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 19
IMHO, among comparably priced Senns (originally) at the $150 and the $200~$250 price points:

$150: 570 < 545 <= 555
$200~$250: 590 < 565 < 595

Put all of my rankings together, and I have this:

570 < 590 < 545 <= 555 = 565 < 595

(Note that I did not include the 580, since it is in a different (and higher) class altogether.)

Aug 5, 2005 at 3:41 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Break-in is done (several hundred hours).

I use the 595 (50 ohm) with a Marantz CD67SE and a Pioneer A401 intergrated amp. I don't know the impedance of the Pioneer's headphone out, but it's probably pretty high. I also tried it with a NAD integrated, but it wasn't any better. Anyway, i'm planning to buy a Corda HA1-MKII, which has a zero ohm output, so we'll see if the 595 sings better with it... although I don't expect any miracles.

Sorry for my bad english, everybody...

BTW, what's NOS??

I can't comment for the above Marantz but I've had only bad experiences running Grados (SR-60,225,325 and RS1) from marantz headphone output. They all sounded lifeless and sterile. When I bought my SR-60 home to my amp (both Xcan and cheap CMOY) the improvement was tremendous.

I've never tried my HD 595 with a Marantz though
eek.gif

Aug 5, 2005 at 4:09 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

FWIW My 595s (120 Ohm) sound pretty bad with my Kenwood or JVC receiver's headphone jack (my Rotel receiver and Proceed PAV don't have headphone outs so I can't really compare them). They sound much, much better from the tape out on either receiver with my little Total Airhead.

EDIT: Of the little I've heard I would have 590 < 595

Ant

Aug 5, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #13 of 19
Of those I've heard/owned:

570 < 525 < 545 < FrankenSenn < 600 < 595/650

FrankenSenn is what I'm currently using at work, it's my old 525s with 545 pads and 580/600 drivers. Probably very similar to the 565 now that I think about it. It's my junker pair, but it sounds nice, like a relatively tame wolf in sheep's clothing
smily_headphones1.gif
The old senns should get bonus points for interchangable parts.

I consider the 595 and 650 on par for my taste because I much prefer the 595 presentation and detail over the classic "Senn Sound" and find it a more enjoyable listen, even if the 650 is technically superior. I only like the 650 on equipment that is beyond my price range - though I also think the 595 actually sounds worse on some high end gear than they do on mid-fi stuff. Go figure.

I've never heard the 590 but based on what I've read I imagine it would place near the 545 by my ears.

The 570 is a $50 pair of headphones, not at all worth what I paid for it way back when, the 525 was a little sloppier depending on the music, but cheaper, more detailed, better soundstage, better bass.

Aug 5, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild
FrankenSenn is what I'm currently using at work, it's my old 525s with 545 pads and 580/600 drivers. Probably very similar to the 565 now that I think about it. It's my junker pair, but it sounds nice, like a relatively tame wolf in sheep's clothing
smily_headphones1.gif
The old senns should get bonus points for interchangable parts.

That's some pretty 1337 cans!
cool.gif
I've actually thought about such crazy mods in the past, but then remembered the cost... (The 545/565/580/600 pads alone are pretty expensive, with shipping included they cost 45€ or more.
eek.gif
) How did you get the idea? And isn't transplanting drivers a bit of a delicate business?

BTW, is the 595 more forward than the 5x5 oldies? I like my 535s for some stuff (like trance or anything else that benefits from some bass impact - I guess these were the
basshead.gif
cans of the bunch and got some bass boost to attract younger listeners), but find them kinda boring on other material that could use some treble sparkle, which the 590s then render more excitingly. Most notably, the HD535 doesn't really rock.

Re: value of 570s, yup, these are probably worth about as much as they cost now, which is somewhat less than the 515s over here (which may be better sounding, but probably aren't as comfy).

Aug 5, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
That's some pretty 1337 cans!
cool.gif
I've actually thought about such crazy mods in the past, but then remembered the cost... (The 545/565/580/600 pads alone are pretty expensive, with shipping included they cost 45€ or more.
eek.gif
) How did you get the idea? And isn't transplanting drivers a bit of a delicate business?

BTW, is the 595 more forward than the 5x5 oldies?

The pads I bought long ago to replace my originals back when I used the cans for many years. I stopped using them when I had that effin' annoying intermitency problem. The drivers (with inner housing) I got recently used and fairly cheap, kind of as a for-the-heck-of-it tribute to my first real cans. The drivers transplant easy, because the entire inner driver housing is interchagable between all the old senns. This is the part you have to pop out to get at the terminals to fix the afformentioned intermittency issue. I plan on buying the 650 cable from Senn next time I order parts since that's pretty cheap, and make my cans 4 Senns in one.
580smile.gif

The 595 is more forward than any senn prior. And have more "sparkle" for rock, and more detail on guitar which I like (maybe I should say require) for rock. It has often been described somewhere between classic senns and grados in presentation. They (or at least the 555) are fairly easy cans to find in stores so I suggest taking a listen first of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back