Rank your portables in terms of sound quality
Mar 3, 2003 at 6:58 AM Post #31 of 87
Quote:

Originally posted by NEO
1) D-555 (airy and neutral sound) = Denon DCP-100 (most accurate and strongest output)
2) D-777 (fun and dynamic,but dark sound)

Overall (sound+portability) = D-777

Still havn't heard D-303,D-515,D-311,DCP-150 (guess it's pretty much the same as DCP100), Philips AZ-6xxx,Technics SL-XPS900 and Optimus 3400 and that expensive($400) Marantz PCD.

this is why the d777 makes such a good match with the v6. lots of power, punchy bass, and tames the v6 treble.

Mar 3, 2003 at 7:56 AM Post #33 of 87
Quote:

Originally posted by krayzie
What do you guys prefer? Accurate sounding or colorful sounding?

It's like this, true taste or with seasoning? hehe

I like it accurate, but not-so-accurate-it's-clinical, and kills the music.
So I guess I like my portables to play with a pinch of salt.
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2003 at 8:32 AM Post #34 of 87
Quote:

Originally posted by krayzie
What do you guys prefer? Accurate sounding or colorful sounding?

It's like this, true taste or with seasoning? hehe

I like natural and detailed sound, so I guess that means accurate.

Overly smoothed sound with a warm spectrum sounds pleasant, but compare to an accurate player it's not as nice.

I like sushi
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2003 at 10:54 AM Post #35 of 87
I only had few players… but here is my list

1- d25 turbo ( what else can I say
cool.gif
)
2- d-303 nice, warm, relaxed, it does some things my turbo can’t and it misses some things that the turbo does very well….they make a great couple
3- d-35 almost as fun as a 303 and lots of funny bottons, my favorite looking player
4- d-555 cool looking but it never impressed me, too much hype around it... expensive, fragile
5- d-25 stock…not bad for 40$ new in box..well built and good sound
6- d-12 powerful player, ugly, plastiky and cheap
7- de-565 – fine, nothing especial, convenient because of battery and skip protection..

I am in the process of turbifying a d-33…it seems to have potential to became a giant killer…

If I had to keep 2 players only, I would go for a d-303 and my modified d-25

m.

Mar 3, 2003 at 11:46 AM Post #36 of 87
Quote:

Originally posted by mekanoplastik
I only had few players?but here is my list

cool.gif
)
2- d-303 nice, warm, relaxed, it does some things my turbo can’t and it misses some things that the turbo does very well?they make a great couple
3- d-35 almost as fun as a 303 and lots of funny bottons, my favorite looking player
4- d-555 cool looking but it never impressed me, too much hype around it... expensive, fragile
5- d-25 stock…not bad for 40$ new in box..well built and good sound....
...If I had to keep 2 players only, I would go for a d-303 and my modified d-25
m.

my my...the d303 is better than the stock d25 and even the d555 and d35.
wow...now i'm so stoked to get my 303. only 3 days left.

thanks for your list mekanoplastik. looks like you're one mammoth in old-school pcdp collecting.
smily_headphones1.gif

btw, do you wanna sell me your stock d25
wink.gif
?

Mar 3, 2003 at 6:01 PM Post #38 of 87
Quote:

cool.gif
)
2- d-303 nice, warm, relaxed, it does some things my turbo can’t and it misses some things that the turbo does very well….they make a great couple
5- d-25 stock…not bad for 40$ new in box..well built and good sound
6- d-12 powerful player, ugly, plastiky and cheap
7- de-565 – fine, nothing especial, convenient because of battery and skip protection..

I am in the process of turbifying a d-33…it seems to have potential to became a giant killer…

If I had to keep 2 players only, I would go for a d-303 and my modified d-25

m.

i also have a d33. i did some monir repairs to the power supply, and dusted it with compressed air, now we use it for our kitchen source. the headphone out is pretty boomy, but the line out has lots of air and detail. mine is probably older than some head-fi members, and is still going strong. how did you "turbofy" yours?

Mar 3, 2003 at 7:45 PM Post #39 of 87
Tina, the D-303 is the first Sony Discman to utilize the 1-bit DAC... some think it provides a much cleaner smoother sound... others prefer the old 16-bit DACs of the D-Z555, D-35, and D-25... The only thing I don't like is that they all use that BP-2EX "car battery"... argh! LOL!

Mar 4, 2003 at 7:31 AM Post #40 of 87
Quote:

cool.gif
)
2- d-303 nice, warm, relaxed, it does some things my turbo can’t and ....

m.

I must have missed your thread. What is D-25 turbo? Does it also have a turbo lag problem?
biggrin.gif

NEO

Mar 4, 2003 at 10:48 AM Post #41 of 87
Quote:

I must have missed your thread. What is D-25 turbo?

biggrin.gif

turbo is the modified version of the d-25, with better opamp, much better power supply (both, player and adaptor), dual paralleled dac and some other minor tweaks... :p

m.

Mar 4, 2003 at 12:33 PM Post #42 of 87
Personal preference, all compared with EQ off and all have driven my Etys at some point:

1. Panasonic SL-S270 (not the best by any means but once it plays you don't doubt that it may not be good)
2. Sharp DS8 (if you don't know what noise floor means, try this one)
2. (tied) Sharp MT831
4. Panasonic MR200 (best modern example of the Panasonic sound, albeit limited by a low output)
5. Sharp MT770 (831 with no power sounds like this)
6. Sony N505 (not bad at all, but I wouldn't e-mail my mom over this)
7. Sony R900, E900 (the beginning of the no comment clan)

Over a period of 4-5 years I went from not knowing what accuracy is to becoming aware, but I still vote for the S270. It makes me feel wholesome. Although MD is pleasant, they tend to sound thinner than CD (try recording both to another location, you'll hear it), so number 1 is a CDP on my list.

Some cassette portables are great, but I haven't heard most of them in ages, so I'd rather not compare them alongside MD/CD (they don't beat a well-recorded cassette for "supple" highs though).

Mar 4, 2003 at 12:41 PM Post #43 of 87
*bows down in awe silence and praise.

if leon says it, then it is.

leon, we are lost without you. hope you'll post as often as your tired guru mind can offer to this place.

smily_headphones1.gif
the 831 tied with the auvi at flat eq! *nods in acceptance

Mar 4, 2003 at 1:16 PM Post #45 of 87
Quote:

Originally posted by leon
Thank You! ...but relax, honey, I haven't cleaned earwax in 3 weeks!
tongue.gif

eek.gif
you should have used your em7 in ranking your portables. better change those ety tips soon
biggrin.gif

btw, i don't see your ipod in the list. that bad, eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back