Rank the best sounding daps that you heard
Jun 4, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #601 of 847
For me a DAP has to be portable and comfortable for on the go use, and so reflects in my rankings. I have a desktop setup for headphones, and use a DAP exclusively when out and about with my VE EXT IEMs.

I am tempted to repurchase a SR25MK2 again as I love its form factor. Most of the recently released DAPs I have looked into look more to be desktop-based units rather than on the go use due to their bulky size.

I would love for someone to list the size/dimensions of each DAP as it would be easy for me to cross them off or add to the checklist based on size alone. I recall being set to buy a Fiio M17 then was shocked to see how large it is on a YT video. It seems the top-tier DAPs are not what I would call portable at all.

Open to suggestion of a great sounding (not neutral), exciting DAP that is small enough to take out and also has Tidal.

1) Cayin N6ii (the best combination of sound q / portability, exciting sound)
2) A&K SR25/MK2 (the king of portability, sound q lacking a bit to the N6ii)
3) LPGT Ti (brilliant form factor, sound, but I couldn't live without Tidal in the end)
4) A&K SP1000M (a good portable DAP, perhaps too neutral for my liking)
5) A&K SP2000T (too bulky & heavy, too neutral)
6) Shanling M8 (enjoyed the sound, too bulky for regular on the go use)

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #602 of 847
- update to answer my own curiosity above, I researched the size & weight of a small selection of DAPs, listed from heaviest first::

Fiio M17
157 x 89 x 28
610g

Cayin N8ii
147 x 78 x 25
442g

Shanling M9
152 x 82 x 22
409g

A&K SP2000
132 x 76 x 16
400g

Cayin N6ii
121 x 70 x 21
290g

L&P P6 Pro
124 x 68 x 20
248g

A&K SP1000M
117 x 68 x 17
203g

A&K SR25 Mk2
108 x 63 x 16
178g

Jun 4, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #604 of 847
What would you say, how close is a good sounding dap to a good desktop setup. how much sound performance are you losing?
I think that's both a great question, and almost impossible to answer in any meaningful way...... And now for the longer version of an answer:

Portables (aka 'DAPS') have to conform to a size and weight range to be fit-for-purpose. So-called 'transportables' bridge the gap between 'sane' portability and so-called desktop gear. Size requirements mandate trade-offs. (For speakers, the saying is "small size, efficiency, low-bass response--pick 2!")

Desktop stuff can run directly from AC, which has approx. 1800 watts available on demand.
There's plenty of room for component lay-out/heatsinking etc. avoiding some of the size constraints.
Bigger parts/larger circuit board traces can be used for lower impedance power and signal routing. You can use beef, full size connectors (think 20 amp iec vs loose barrel connecotr, 2.5mm trrs vs 4-pin xlr etc.)
Bigger screens/displays can be used, and you do not have to fight bright sunlight for 'legibility'

Portables have gotten incredibly good inn recent years, and have started to be priced accordingly. There are, however, bigger trade-offs involved with portables. What people want (and act as-if it is someb=how possible to attain all of the following) is:

1. small and lightweight
2. inexpensive/affordable
3. amazingly awesomely great sound
4. connections for every kind of iem plug built-inn (2.5, 3.5, 4.4 etc.)
5. connections for balanced headphones, and th power to drive any headphone extremely well to ear-splitting volumes with no clipping or distortion.
6. Near infinite battery life
7. runs cool to the touch
8. has huge internal storage and multiple card slots
9. can load all sorts of streaming and server-client apps
10. Can just also function as a desktop device, usb dc etc, alog with its role as a portable

OK, I'll shut up already. There are both great and terrible portables and desktop gear- and in some ways they are NOT sinply different sized versions of the same thing. It is 'horses for courses', and your specific needs and budget also have to factor in.

All of the above is, in some sense, obvious already, but sometimes someone has to state the obvious-- that's what us old guys are for.

Jun 5, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #606 of 847
- update to answer my own curiosity above, I researched the size & weight of a small selection of DAPs, listed from heaviest first::

Fiio M17
157 x 89 x 28
610g

Cayin N8ii
147 x 78 x 25
442g

Shanling M9
152 x 82 x 22
409g

A&K SP2000
132 x 76 x 16
400g

Cayin N6ii
121 x 70 x 21
290g

L&P P6 Pro
124 x 68 x 20
248g

A&K SP1000M
117 x 68 x 17
203g

A&K SR25 Mk2
108 x 63 x 16
178g

This might help:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hi-res-portable-daps-comparison-chart-2022.961903/

Jun 5, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #607 of 847
This is a great thread for folks like me - you're opening up a new universe of possibilities, and appreciate all the perspectives and reviews.

I'd gladly offer up a list of rankings, but haven't had the opportunity to audition many DAPs, as the local dealer I support only carries desktop items like the Sony HAP-Z1ES and the dCS line. However, I do own the Questyle QP2R, and have directly compared it to a Sony WM1Z. I liked the Questyle considerably more, as it seemed to have a better analog flow to the sound. The Sony was a brilliant digital player, but the Questyle had an extra dash of turntable-like audio magic. I'm wondering if there are players in the same sound signature camp as the Questyle, but even better - Questyle now offers the QPM, but haven't seen it listed often in this thread.

I recently reached out to the good folks at MusicTek, and they gave me a great comparative assessment of their top end DAPs. Based on my preferences, they recommended the Luxury Precision P6 Pro. Looks like I might add that to my very short ranking list soon. :)

Jun 5, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #608 of 847
I did not ever owned ToTL DAP. My daily driver is Fiio M11, but I had opportunity to listen some cool daps in local audiophile shop. So far here is my ranking using LZ A7 Gold On:
  1. A&K SP2000 (the reference. If there exist something better, you are going to refer to SP2000 to describe it). I describe sound as following, compared to M11. Sounds detailed, bass is textured with sub bass out of this world, it is deepest ever existed and no other dap reaches this sub bass even close. mids are textured, highs are textured, stage is holographic and layered, wide and deep.
  2. Fiio M11 Plus Ltd. Overall close to the reference, sub bass is very deep too. Highs are lacking compared, yet stage is impressive.
  3. A&K SE180. Lacking compared to the reference. Highs are peaky, bass is mid bass focused, mids are nothing impressive compared to the Reference
  4. LPGT. Mid bass focused and otherwise neutral.
  5. A&K SE200. Disappointed for the price. Two leagues above Fiio M11
  6. Fiio M11. Does nothing good, also does nothing bad. Has stage compared to Xiaomi Mi9T
  7. Xiaomi Mi9t. Dynamic, mid bass focused, lacking stage, otherwise as good as Fiio M11.
  1. AK SP2000
  2. Shanling M8 / iBasso DX240.
  3. LP6000. LPGT disqualified because I don't remember how it sounds
  4. Fiio M11 Plus Ltd
  5. AK SE180
  6. AK SE200
  7. Fiio M11
I finally have auditioned DX240. It is rather neutral, detailed and oh boy it is dynamic. In some tracks, loudness kicks in so hard, your heart stops. My wife confirms this:)

I would say DX240 it the best value for the price DAP ever created. Hitting high end with 820-950$ price tag is astounding

Jun 8, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #609 of 847
What would you say, how close is a good sounding dap to a good desktop setup. how much sound performance are you losing?
You can get a desktop setup to rival a good dap for relatively cheaper. A good dap might cost you more. The price of portable convenience. Sound quality is about equal.

But a good dap will wipe the floor with your average desktop stuff, all by itself.

Jun 8, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #610 of 847
Completely depends on what you intend to drive.

For IEMs (most IEMs anyway) the difference might not be that big.

For headphones the differences start becoming apparent as soon as your headphones start demanding more juice (current or voltage). Most portables can't handle the amplification as deftly as desktop amps.

That said, things like the QA390, DMP-Z1, M30 etc have really bridged the performance gap. Sure there is a price factor to consider but you can never underestimate the convenience of transportability.

Jun 25, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #611 of 847
There it goes
1 AK SP2000CU
2 Sony nwwm1z
3 Cayin N8
4 AK SP1000CU
5 LOTOO PAW GOLD
6 AK380CUPLUSAMP
7 FIIO M15
8 DETHONRAY Dtr1
9 AR MR2
10 HIFIMAN HM801
11 Questyle QP1R
12 IBASSO DX200
13 FIIOX7MK2
Maybe I am being unfair with the M15, I listen to it very short time, after listening to the M15 more time, I think is on my top 5
Are you sure Astell over Cayin, your experience is really appreciate it 🤟🎧🎷🎻🎺🎸

Jun 25, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #612 of 847
Unfortunately, even today, a lot of people think so... And not just in the audio world. On a more positive note, decent sounding DAPs are quite cheap nowadays.
Which ones sound close to a&k sp 1000, here I'm enjoying Luxury and Precision W2 131 Dongle DAC amp, and please tell me which cheaper options sound close to sp 1000
I really appreciate your experience 🤟🎧🎷🎻🎺🎸

Jun 25, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #613 of 847
Which ones sound close to a&k sp 1000, here I'm enjoying Luxury and Precision W2 131 Dongle DAC amp, and please tell me which cheaper options sound close to sp 1000
I really appreciate your experience 🤟🎧🎷🎻🎺🎸
Cannot help a lot here, because it’s been more than 2 years since I had listened to the SP1K. The W2 is a very good dongle, so if you are happy with it and your smartphone, no real need to get a DAP. If you have a SD card full of your tunes, then I highly recommend the Lotoo Paw6000. Incredible device, without streaming feature, though.

Jul 6, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #615 of 847
Off the topic. On acoustic research ar-m20, ive noticed that files that are located on internal storage sound noticeably better than on card (it's standard micro sdxc card). So are there any type of sd cards that fix this issue or you have to live with that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back