Rank the best sounding daps that you heard
Jul 24, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #406 of 857
My preferred DAPs (and some DAC/Amps), why and noteworthy remarks in a few words.

Main headphones used: Grado Labs RS2e with G-cush pads, single-ended
Main IEMs used: Campfire Audio Solaris 2020 (previously Dorado 2020, Andromeda Special Edition: Gold and Gaudio Clariden), single-ended

✕​

1. Shanling M6 Pro / $759 - $639

Powerful and versatile with it's single-DAC option which I absolutely love, 'seems to have one of the best amplification section in this price range, it also has the best Android UI I've seen after A&K's fully customized UI, the external controls work well, excellent size and weight for a DAP which can stream, official case doesn't interfere with screen controls

Worthy of note: currently listening to Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue, I'm melting it's so smooth, layered and detailed. If you're looking for the Dethonray Honey H1 in a DAP, I think that's pretty much it. The Honey H1 would be here as #1 otherwise.

2. Astell & Kern A&norma SR25 / $699

A truly portable and excellent overall little DAP with amazing battery life, fit, finish and looks

Worthy of note: too small for its own good, external controls are unusable with a case, I prefer the M6 Pro in single-DAC mode although the soundstage is better on the SR25 with the Solaris 2020.

3. Luxury & Precision W2 DAC/Amp / $299

The SR25, cheaper, in DAC/Amp format but with two tuning options (wondering if it's actually single-dual-DAC mode named differently) as well as filters

Worthy of note: battery-hogue on an iPhone XR

Previous DAPs
  • Astell & Kern A&norma SR25, yes I bought it twice
  • Cayin N3 Pro, we didn't click, what can I say
  • Astell & Kern SP1000M, not worth it
  • Hiby R5, Hiby player and overall Android UI was a turn off, overall cheap build quality/sensation (I'm a horrendous snob)
  • Sony NW-ZX300, great battery life, stunning matte glass display (I would get it again solely for this), underpowered, perfect format/size for a DAP which can't stream

July 24th, 2021, update​

Lots of introspections these past few weeks.

I decided to update three different threads which helped me the most. One, two... three.

After which, I think I'll reach my 1000th post and will likely take a break from the mad circus of researching-buying-commenting-reviewing...

✕​

1. Astell & Kern A&norma SR25 -- The DAP I keep coming back to, there must be a reason.
  2. Sony NW-ZX507 -- I love Sony's DAPs and their UI but... there's the SR25.
  3. Luxury & Precision W1 & W2 -- W2 ≈ SR25 & W1 ≈ ZX507.
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes, well, you might find
You get what you need

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #407 of 857
My preferred DAPs (and some DAC/Amps), why and noteworthy remarks in a few words.

Main headphones used: Grado Labs RS2e with G-cush pads, single-ended
Main IEMs used: Campfire Audio Solaris 2020 (previously Dorado 2020, Andromeda Special Edition: Gold and Gaudio Clariden), single-ended

✕​

1. Shanling M6 Pro / $759 - $639

Powerful and versatile with it's single-DAC option which I absolutely love, 'seems to have one of the best amplification section in this price range, it also has the best Android UI I've seen after A&K's fully customized UI, the external controls work well, excellent size and weight for a DAP which can stream, official case doesn't interfere with screen controls

Worthy of note: currently listening to Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue, I'm melting it's so smooth, layered and detailed. If you're looking for the Dethonray Honey H1 in a DAP, I think that's pretty much it. The Honey H1 would be here as #1 otherwise.

2. Astell & Kern A&norma SR25 / $699

A truly portable and excellent overall little DAP with amazing battery life, fit, finish and looks

Worthy of note: too small for its own good, external controls are unusable with a case, I prefer the M6 Pro in single-DAC mode although the soundstage is better on the SR25 with the Solaris 2020.

3. Luxury & Precision W2 DAC/Amp / $299

The SR25, cheaper, in DAC/Amp format but with two tuning options (wondering if it's actually single-dual-DAC mode named differently) as well as filters

Worthy of note: battery-hogue on an iPhone XR

Previous DAPs
  • Astell & Kern A&norma SR25, yes I bought it twice
  • Cayin N3 Pro, we didn't click, what can I say
  • Astell & Kern SP1000M, not worth it
  • Hiby R5, Hiby player and overall Android UI was a turn off, overall cheap build quality/sensation (I'm a horrendous snob)
  • Sony NW-ZX300, great battery life, stunning matte glass display (I would get it again solely for this), underpowered, perfect format/size for a DAP which can't stream

Didn't you own a Cowon M2? where would that fit?

Aug 6, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #408 of 857
Shout out to immortal soul for sending me the link to this thread.

My DAP experience is fairly limited compared to some. Anyway here is my list for better or worse

Disclaimer I have owned all these DAC's.

1) Cayin N6ii My current DAP hits the sweet spot for me on price to performance. The motherboards in order of preference R01, E02, A01 came with DAP

2) AK SP1000SS Lovely sounding DAP although a bit heavy & on the larger side for me

3) Sony WM1Z Lovely sounding DAP extremely heavy and lacked streaming features. great battery life though.

4) Questyle QP1R Beautiful sounding just not the best UI just do not ask me about the wheel and volume knob issues.

5) Sony WM1A Had this at the same time as the WM1Z, preferred the 1Z but ended up selling both.

6) AK70Mkii great little sounding DAP for the gym on taking on holiday

7) IBasso DX300 Never really liked sound on this player. Sold it on really quickly

8) AK100 or 120 not 100% sure which model it was . My 1st ever DAP. Pretty basic but sounded goos at the time.

*I would love to buy the Cayin N8 BB as my next DAP or wait for an updated release from Cayin

Aug 10, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #411 of 857
1. A&K SP2000/Luxury & Precision LP6
2. Cayin N6Ti R01
3. iBasso DX220 MAX
4. Shanling M8
5. HiBY R8
6. iBasso DX300
7. iBasso DX160

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #412 of 857
1) Sony wm1A / Poly Mojo
2) Ibasso Dx220
3) CalyxM
4) Sony zx300
5) Ibasso Dx160
6) AK 70mk2
7) Cowon Plenue R
8) Fiio X7ii
9) Sony A35
10) Sony A15
11) Shanling Q1
12) Hidyz AP200

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #415 of 857
DAPs don't sound that different to me to warrant spending a lot on them, and things like ease of use, battery life and features like a parametric EQ play a big role in how i rate them:
1. Lotoo Paw 6000: super fast to boot up, great EQ, neutral sound quality.
2. L&P W2 - best dongle i've tried so far.
3. E1DA 9038D - powerful dongle, with neutral sound, but has some bugs.
4. Sony ZX507: warm and smooth, sometimes too much so. Android is useless to me and only slows it down and reduces battery life.
5. Shanling Q1
6. Shanling M0

Sep 13, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #416 of 857
DAPs don't sound that different to me to warrant spending a lot on them, and things like ease of use, battery life and features like a parametric EQ play a big role in how i rate them:
1. Lotoo Paw 6000: super fast to boot up, great EQ, neutral sound quality.
2. L&P W2 - best dongle i've tried so far.
3. E1DA 9038D - powerful dongle, with neutral sound, but has some bugs.
4. Sony ZX507: warm and smooth, sometimes too much so. Android is useless to me and only slows it down and reduces battery life.
5. Shanling Q1
6. Shanling M0
Wow really? You don't find daps sound any different to warrant the price premium. I guess you just saved a whole lot dough in this hobby.

Sep 13, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #417 of 857
This is the list of the ones I've owned and listened to extensively:
1) P6 Pro
2) Cayin N6ii R01
3) Calyx M
4) iBasso DX312
5) Cayin N3Pro
6) Sony WM1Z
7) Sony WM1A
8) iBasso DX220 MAX
9) Dethonray DTR1

Last edited: