Rank the best sounding daps that you heard
Feb 2, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #466 of 847
Soon I will update my list, but for now I have a battle of the old kings..., from top to bottom Calyx M, Acoustic Research AR-M2, Cayin N8 and Sony WM1Z with ultimate K mood
20220202_155045.jpg

Feb 2, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #467 of 847
Hi all,

1- QLS-QA361
2- LPGT
3- SP 2K
4- LPG 2017
5- A&K SA700
6- 220 MAX
7- WM1A NPaudio (EXPmV3)
-
-

........ and soon a Cayin N8, to see where it will be placed in the list!!

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #468 of 847
Hi all,

1- QLS-QA361
2- LPGT
3- SP 2K
4- LPG 2017
5- A&K SA700
6- 220 MAX
7- WM1A NPaudio (EXPmV3)
-
-

........ and soon a Cayin N8, to see where it will be placed in the list!!

I can agree about that QA361. Damn that thing sounds out of this world. I've never heard things sound that good from a portable. Really gives every dap (regardless of the price) a run for it's money. For those who just want to listen to their music collection; this is a no brainer. It would've been a steal even at double the current ask.

Will look forward to where you place the N8 too😁👍

Feb 2, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #469 of 847
I can agree about that QA361. Damn that thing sounds out of this world. I've never heard things sound that good from a portable. Really gives every dap (regardless of the price) a run for it's money. For those who just want to listen to their music collection; this is a no brainer. It would've been a steal even at double the current ask.

Will look forward to where you place the N8 too😁👍
Yep :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
This DAP offers a wide stage where the details are the masters of the place, a breathtaking transparency that makes these mediums its premier card :thumbsup:

Feb 2, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #470 of 847
Now you guys make me curious to try the QA361

Feb 2, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #472 of 847
Yep :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
This DAP offers a wide stage where the details are the masters of the place, a breathtaking transparency that makes these mediums its premier card :thumbsup:
Well said my friend:beerchug:.
The manufacturer has indeed put a lot of effort in this product. It may be a one trick pony in terms of the feature set, but the sound. Ohh lawd!!!😱

I recently also got to hear the QA390. IMHO it's the best untethered device there is (in terms sound quality). I'm hunting for the limited edition so that I can go hear it.

Now you guys make me curious to try the QA361

If you get a chance, please do. I'm sure you'll find it intriguingly good.

Feb 2, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #473 of 847
I just finished reading the qa361 thread and I am intrigued by it, the only thing is that I don't know if I want a dap with no touch screen. It reminds me of the Questyle qp1r that I had, the sound was good but if you have a big music collection it takes a long time to scroll. If I will find one on the classified for a decent price I might grab it to try it

Feb 2, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #474 of 847
I just finished reading the qa361 thread and I am intrigued by it, the only thing is that I don't know if I want a dap with no touch screen. It reminds me of the Questyle qp1r that I had, the sound was good but if you have a big music collection it takes a long time to scroll. If I will find one on the classified for a decent price I might grab it to try it
It's true that without a touch screen, at first it can curb the desire but once this change has been made, the surprise of this sound immersion made me forget the ease that I found comfortable... I don't think about it not even anymore :thumbsup:

Feb 2, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #475 of 847
Absolutely understandable. Convinience is a key thing with DAPs. The sound quality does make you forget everything else as @pascallito rightly pointed out, but in the end everything depends on your use case and expectations.

Scrolling on the Quloos is actually easy as it has folder navigation but it still ain't no better than an ipod nano in that regard.

Btw, how did you like the Questyle?

Feb 3, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #476 of 847
When I had the Questyle I thought it sounded really nice, clean sounding with great details but at that time I was enjoying the Ibasso DX200 with amp 7 a bit more because it was a bit more on the warm side and Questyle was more toward neutral/clinical sounding

Feb 6, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #477 of 847
Update 6th February 2022:

Updating my list as follows:

1. Quloos QA390 (WAV only Ultimate Firmware)
2. Shanling M30
3. Luxury & Precision LP6
4. Sony NW-WM1Z/Fiio M17 (DC Mode)
5. iBasso DX220 MAX/Lotoo Paw Gold Touch Titanium
6. Sony NW-WM1A/Fiio M17 Battery/QLS QA361 (Extreme Firmware)
7. A&K SP2000T/Shanling M9
8. AR-M2
9. Cayin N8/Questyle QP2R/Chord Hugo 2 + H2Go
10. Shanling M8/Cayin N6ii R01
11. Fiio M15
12. Dethonray DTR1
13. Aune M2Pro

Notes: Heard the M9 at length today. Tuning is very similar to M8; resolution has jumped a step. Power, dymamics and driveability have also got a shot in the arm. Marvellous build and a sight to behold; Superb looks. Pricing is a bit controversial but a very competent entry nonetheless.

Feb 12, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #478 of 847
Dear Friends,

here's my individual and totally subjective perception …

single ended

on T5P 2nd

1. AR-M2​
2. Ibasso DX220 Max​
3a. Ibasso DX220 Amp9​
3b. Ibasso DX200 Amp1​
4. M17 - E-Over Ear Mode - still burning in​
5. M17 - Over Ear Mode- still burning in​
6. FiiO X3 II​
7. Onkyo DP-X1​
8. Pioneer XDP-100R​
9. FIIO-X5​

... claiming for myself to adapt this ranking without pre-warnings in later posts/statements …. :beyersmile:

Feb 13, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #479 of 847
Some additional remarks to my single ended ranking above:

RankDAPFW/ Player usedSettings usedAdd. Info, concerning SoundHistory
1.AR-M2AR music Player Prodefault settingsjust soooo close to perfection 😊 (only soundwise)my 5th and 9th DAP
2.Ibasso DX220 MaxLurker FW Adddon
Mango OS & Player
gain low, Digital Vol. 150huuuuuuuuuggggeeee Soundstagemy 8th DAP
3a.Ibasso DX220 Amp9Lurker FW-Addon
Neutron Player
individual settingsreliable solid workhorse …
(sry Ibasso - found no other descr.)
my 7th DAP
3b.Ibasso DX200 Amp1Lurker FW
v2.8.198
USB Audio + Hiby
individual settingsmaybe my judgement here is not so neutral/ I was probably conditioned over the time by its magic and clear sound, listening to it some hundred nights on long distance flightsmy 6th DAP
4.M17Pure Music Mode Player
E-Over Ear (DC) Mode
Filter Fast/partially Slow Roll-Off, minimum​
could still change – still burning in phase … - single ended sound seams to be far behind its capabilities when used balancedmy 10th DAP
5.M17Neutron PlayerOver-Ear Mode
Filter Slow Roll-Off, minimum + individual settings
could still change – still burning in phase … - single ended sound seams to be far behind its capabilities when used balancedmy 10th DAP
6.FiiO X3 IIthe beginning of everything - and I am still loving it and its transparent and crisp sound 😊my very 1st DAP
7.Onkyo DP-X1having Dual Sabres and Slots for two sd cards already - a pitty the built in amp is so weak … - so is the sound - needs additional ext. amp, then sound is nicemy 3rd DAP
8.Pioneer XDP-100Rmy 2nd DAP - given away
9.FIIO-X7 (not X5)my 4th DAP - given away

When I find some time I will also post the Ranking in Balanced operation – hope the replacement for my HD800s (0km defect) will arrive soon, to include it in the balanced comparison.

Spoiler Balanced Ranking:
It’s much harder to compare and rank my DAPS using balanced gear, as the DX220MAX and the M17 are very close together, also in terms of soundstage which was (according to my perception), amongst others, missing a lot to the M17 driven single ended; whereas the Ibasso DX220 and DX200 have problems to follow. The AR-M2 (only single ended) stays of course same, but the oponents are much stronger driven balanced ….

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #480 of 847
Some additional remarks to my single ended ranking above:

RankDAPFW/ Player usedSettings usedAdd. Info, concerning SoundHistory
1.AR-M2AR music Player Prodefault settingsjust soooo close to perfection 😊 (only soundwise)my 5th and 9th DAP
2.Ibasso DX220 MaxMango OS
Mango Player
gain low, Digital Vol. 150huuuuuuuuuggggeeee Soundstagemy 8th DAP
3a.Ibasso DX220 Amp9Lurker FW-Addon
Neutron Player
individual settingsreliable solid workhorse …
(sry Ibasso - found no other descr.)
my 7th DAP
3b.Ibasso DX200 Amp1Lurker FW
v2.8.198
USB Audio + Hiby
individual settingsmaybe my judgement here is not so neutral/ I was probably conditioned over the time by its magic and clerar sound, listening to it some hundred nights on long distance flightsmy 6th DAP
4.M17Pure Music Mode Player
E-Over Ear (DC) Mode
Filter Fast/partially Slow Roll-Off, minimum​
5.M17Neutron PlayerOver-Ear Mode
Filter Slow Roll-Off, minimum + individual settings
6.FiiO X3 IIthe beginning of everything - and I am still loving it and its transparent and crisp sound 😊my very 1st DAP
7.Onkyo DP-X1having Dual Sabres and Slots for two sd cards already - a pitty the built in amp is so weak … - so is the sound - needs additional ext. amp, then sound is nicemy 3rd DAP
8.Pioneer XDP-100Rmy 2nd DAP - given away
9.FIIO-X7 (not X5)my 4th DAP - given away

When I find some time I will also post the Ranking in Balanced operation – hope the replacement for my HD800s (0km defect) will arrive soon, to include it in the balanced comparison.

Spoiler Balanced Ranking:
It’s much harder to compare and rank my DAPS using balanced gear, as the DX220MAX and the M17 are very close together, also in terms of soundstage which was (according to my perception), amongst others, missing a lot to the M17 driven single ended; whereas the Ibasso DX220 and DX200 have problems to follow. The AR-M2 (only single ended) stays of course same, but the oponents are much stronger driven balanced ….
Great to see another person loving the sound of Acoustic research ar-m2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back