Randy Newman-- greatest singer-songwriter of rock era?
Aug 9, 2001 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
I never paid much attention to Randy Newman until very recently. I knew he was THE influence on Elvis Costello, my all-time favorite musical artist, but my exposure to him consisted of the video for "I Love LA" and his soundtrack work like Toy Story ("You've got a friend in me"). I always thought he was what they now call "dadrock", and so to be ignored. I also disliked his "affected" way of singing.

Well, I was watching some award show recently where Randy Newman was performing (can't remember which one), and I sat there literally with my jaw open. I don't know what song it was now, but I remeber being floored in a way that I hadn't in a long while.

So I went out and purchased "Bad Love" his latest independent, non-soundtrack work. Well my jaw was open the whole time I listened to this CD. I really conneceted with this music, but I don't think I would have as a younger man. He is one twisted man, but what a genius. Angry bitter lyrics of amazing high quality. He spares his worst venom for himself. Just totally self-lacerating.

So I then ran out and purchased the Randy Newman box set-- 4 CDs full of his music. What an IMPRESSIVE body of work! I am definitely hooked.

If you like Elvis Costello, or are a fan of the singer-songwriter genre, you owe it to yourself to check out Randy Newman. He will indeed stand out as one of the most original and idiosyncratic composers of the latter half of the 20th century.

markl

Aug 9, 2001 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 11
Some people hate him, but to others, like myself, he is a god. So funny - that's what you need to listen to him and appreciate his work - a fairly cynical sense of humor. He also writes some heartbreakingly beautiful songs. I consider him more an entertainer than a strict musician than, say, Costello. There's that awareness that you're there to listen to the quirky stories Newman is spinning, more so than just putting on his music to hear a tune. Anyway, I'm glad you've discovered a new joy. Try and hunt down "Randy Newman Live",just him playing piano at a club, very intimate.

Aug 9, 2001 at 4:02 AM Post #3 of 11
Randy Newman-- greatest singer-songwriter of rock era?

no. as you suggested in your post, elvis costello is THE greatest singer-songwriter in rock music.

i think randy newman was only an influence on costello's first album ("my aim is true"). none of costello's work from 1978 onward sounds anything like randy newman. i'm a huge elvix fan but i've never cared for randy newman--he's way too mellow.

everyone reading this--pick up "get happy" (1980), "this year's model" (1978), "armed forces" (1978), and "imperial bedroom" (1982).

Aug 9, 2001 at 4:53 AM Post #4 of 11
"i think randy newman was only an influence on costello's first album ("my aim is true"). none of costello's work from 1978 onward sounds anything like randy newman. i'm a huge elvix fan but i've never cared for randy newman--he's way too mellow.
"

You should check out "Bad Love", Newman's latest. It is by far his most rock-oriented work. Pete Thomas of the Attractions plays drums, if that matters to you.

No, I don't think Costello and Newman share the same basic writing style. Costello has been known to write entire albums over a weekend. His lyrics are very stream of consciousness and off-the-cuff yet remarkably coherent.

Newman on the other hand, as I learned from the booklet included in the box set, agonizes over every last syllable of his songs. It takes him years of writing effort to complete an album. I think it shows in terms of the multiple levels on which his songs can be enjoyed. Newman's songs are more direct and "traditional", but there is also much more subtext in his songs. He is extremely subversive. His ideas may offend some, but I think he redeems himself by constantly including himself in his scorn.

Costello fans-- Rhino will be re-releasing remastered versions of all his albums (replacing those AWFUL Ryko remasters) in packs of 3. These are not chronological, but grouped by "theme".

Between those and the forthcoming XTC remasters I'm going to be one broke person!

markl

Aug 9, 2001 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 11
markl,
XTC remasters? cool! when are they coming out?

(you've got great taste in music, man)
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2001 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 11
In my opinion, Randy Newman is a great songwriter. The lyrics are fantastic, the melodies great, but some of his overly sweet arrangements are just hard to stomach for me. [I will refrain from going on an abstract interpretation rant re. the intentional contrast between the sickly sweet string arrangements and the subversive lyrics....
smily_headphones1.gif
]

Legoman

Aug 9, 2001 at 2:46 PM Post #7 of 11
"I will refrain from going on an abstract interpretation rant re. the intentional contrast between the sickly sweet string arrangements and the subversive lyrics...."

legoman, this might not qualify as a rant, but it is true nonetheless! And this ironic contrast makes his musical subversion so effective. Besides, his at times strikingly beautiful melodies seem to hint at a longing, at a loss, that is probably at the core of every cynic's heart. BTW, I have always felt, that there is even more intensity to his songs, when he himself sits at the piano without accompaniment. He might not be much of a singer, but he is certainly one of the great American songwriters.

Actually, I think I am with markl, Randy Newman is my favourite one.

Aug 9, 2001 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

elvis costello is THE greatest singer-songwriter in rock music

ROFLMFAO!

Aug 9, 2001 at 4:59 PM Post #9 of 11
Hi arnett,
XTC are easily in my top 10 all time favorite bands. Another knock-out catalog of amazing songs.

Looks like the XTC remasters are out!
http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver...l/ArtistID=XTC

These seem to be import-only (GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!). I was really hoping they'd be available domestically. Maybe they will be eventually.

There are 2 versions: a "limited edition" in a LP-like cardboard sleeve (forget it!) and regular jewel boxes. I intend to get all of them except the first two and Mummer. This will be expensive.

markl

Aug 9, 2001 at 6:46 PM Post #10 of 11
Oooh, XTC remasters
wink.gif
I have 7 or 8 XTC albums already. English Settlement is my favorite top-to-bottom.

Although I refuse to buy from CDNow (the link posted), but that's another story...

Aug 10, 2001 at 1:10 AM Post #11 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back