Random Shootout! Havi B3 Pro 1 vs. JVC HA-FXH30 vs. KZ ED9
Jan 17, 2016 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

B9Scrambler

Headphoneus Supremus
Greetings Head-fi,

Today I bring you a quick shootout between three very different beasties. We are going to be looking at two well-known earphones, the Havi B3 Pro 1 and the venerable KZ ED9, and one lesser known but no less impressive earphone, the JVC HA-FXH30. This was meant to be a quick and dirty comparison, but I was having too much fun so I fleshed it out a bit. Hopefully those of you who read it enjoy.

The twin 6mm micro-driver B3 Pro 1 has a reputation as one of the most neutral offerings in the under 100 USD category. KZ's ED9 has become an established budget monster cashing in at the low, low price of ~10 USD and bringing to the table two very different signatures courtesy of interchangeable filters. The HA-FXH30 utilizes a single tip-mounted, titanium coated, 6mm micro-driver and is the last to prove itself to the Head-Fi crowd as a worthy purchase. How will these three very different earphones stack up against each other? Let's find out!

I was intending to use stock tips on all, but for some reason I can't for the life of me get a seal in my left ear using the FXH30's stock tips. As a result they are running large Huawei Honor tips, the B3 is running large Senn-style dualies, and the ED9 is on their stock medium tips. Speaking of the Ed9's tips, they are way more suited to it than the UE600 tips I had on there before. With the stock tips, treble is much cleaner and more precise than I was expecting. *Slap* Bad B9 with your horrible tip choice ruining the ED9.....sheesh.

Alright, now to the comparisons.

Soundstage

I think it'll be clear which iem has the most expansive and accurate soundstage of this trio; the Havi B3 Pro 1. The ED9 (brass = b) also has a fairly spacious soundstage, especially for something so cost-effective. The FXH30's soundstage is more confined but quite deep. I was expecting it to sound congested vs. B3, but nope, separation and layering is top notch ensuring each sound has it's own distinct space. The ED9 (gold = g) also has a nice soundstage, but it's edges are more concentrated and well-defined than with the (b) filters installed.

Bass

The FXH30 has the best bass of the bunch in my opinion. Quick, accurate, and with realistic decay. It also digs deeper than the other two while still being very well-textured. The B3 certainly has the most polite and restrained bass, overshadowed quite significantly by the other two. That said, it is very pleasant and relaxed, and like the FXH30 is nice and snappy. The ED9(b) has nice punch and good sub-bass extension, but it lacks the texture and control of the other two. Toss on the (g) filters and bass is boosted. I personally prefer the bass with the (g) filters installed as it makes the ED9 a bit more fun.

Mids

I love the mids of the B3. Realistic, clean, and smooth, there is nothing they fail to portray well. The FXH30's mids are pulled back a bit and while their vocal presentation is not as forward as the ED9 or B3, guitars kick and crunch like no other. The ED9(b)'s mids are nothing to write home about, yet there's nothing bad about them either. They're not as forward as on the B3, but more forward than the FXH30. They lack the refinement of their more expensive competitors. The (g) filters don't change mids much in my opinion.

Treble

While I love the smooth treble presentation of the B3 it lacks the energy and enthusiasm of the ED9 with either filter, and especially the FXH30. Lots of detail, good separation, just a bit dull. The FXH30 is bright, sparkly, and with detail to spare. Despite this, I don;t find them fatiguing unlike a lot of other bright earphones. Some may have issues with a peak somewhere between 6-8K, but it doesn't bother me.

Some of you may know that the one thing that killed the ED9 for me was it's treble. Splashy and uncontrolled was how I described it. Well, I'm going to have to eat me hat a bit on this one. Ditching the UE600 tips and going back to the stock tips made a mountain of a difference with both filters. Things still aren't as tight as on the B3 or FXH30, but it's no longer distracting and I can enjoy the ED9 for what it is; a killer iem.

Material/Build Quality

You might not agree with me here, but I like the build and material quality of the ED9 the most. Solid metal housings, good strain relief all-around, and a durable cable, even if it is a little bouncy and noisy worn cable down. The FXH30 and B3 are both nice, but nothing about their build really stands out.

Comfort

This category is very personal, so what works for me won't work for everyone. That said, there are some things worth noting. Were someone to try all three back-to-back, the ED9 would probably win out with it's more traditional barrel-shaped housing. The FXH30 has a very thick nozzle due to a 5.8mm being crammed in there, so those with small ear canals will likely run into issues. Shallow insertion earphones with large housings seem to give people troubles, or so I've read in the forums. The B3 has a large housing and short stem. *shrug* I don't have issues with any of them, so...yay!

Value

ED9 wins by a landslide. Yeah, it's not as refined as the other two, but you get two earphones in one. With the (b) filters you have a fairly balanced earphone that offers up excellent clarity and resolution, a good soundstage, and a fun sound. The (g) filter dials down the technical ability and up the entertainment value, but is still very capable.

Overall

Without a doubt I think all three iems are worth owning.

The B3 Pro 1 is a very capable and technically adept earphone with a unique signature among it's peers. I would like to see it have a touch more bass in it's stock form, but that would kinda defeat the purpose of being neutral, wouldn't it? Oh yeah, forgot to mention earlier that an amp is recommended to get the most out of them. Not needed with the other two.

In steps the FXH30. While the B3 is relaxed and mellow, the FXH30 is loud, in your face, and screams for complicated and deeply textured beats. It is an EDM and metal monster and amazing for my favorite sub-genre, liquid drum and bass. High energy is the name of the game, and it delivers in spades.

Knowledge Zenith. You guys...just...you guys. What did you do here? You bring a knife to a gun fight, and only reveal late in the game that your knife is actually a gunblade. Sneaky. You want neutral, but not B3 levels of neutral? Go brass. You want energy, but not FXH30 levels of energy? Go gold. The ED9, while not as "good" as either the JVC or Havi, holds it own and fills in the gaps between the extremes the other two reside in.

So there you have it. Thanks to @Wokei for requesting the comparo. I had a ton of fun listening to all three earphones back-to-back, and it rekindled some of the love I had for the ED9 when I first got them. Thanks buddy! 
beerchug.gif

For those of you that made it this far, if you were forced to own only three iems, each costing under 100 USD, what would you choose? I would take;

1. JVC FXH30 (entertainment value)
2. Havi B3 (technical ability)
3. NarMoo W1M (relaxing)

Thanks for reading!

- B9Scrambler

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 14
Thanks B .....enjoy yr review shoot out ....makes me itch for the JVC FXH30

Thank you very much for the beef up comparo ...initial request is just few words and job well done 
gs1000.gif

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks B .....enjoy yr review shoot out ....makes me itch for the JVC FXH30

Thank you very much for the beef up comparo ...initial request is just few words and job well done :gs1000smile:

Sure makes me want to hear them since I love the other two:smile:

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 14
Making sure you are keeping it real in here:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jan 18, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #7 of 14
Always Pod and respect to B9 cuz Havi n ED9 are fav of mine and also going by review.. This might be a good one too

You are welcome good sir. Told you I was having too much fun comparing them :p 

Sure makes me want to hear them since I love the other two:smile:

I may be a little biased since they're still my favorite iem, but I say give em a go. They're certainly inexpensive, so you're not out much if you don't like them.

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #8 of 14
@B9Scrambler.....reason me ask for the review is afaik not many own the KZ Micro Ring and ANV which we both like very much and always follow yr sound impression ......which align very much with me take except the bright part of ED9 ....which kinda suprised me knowing how much you like the JVC sound ...btw me have  HA-FX1X and HA-FR201 which imho are really bright and piercing when me first got them but now ....its really fine with me now and enjoying it  more so after discovering them later down the line compared when initially got them.

But all in all ....FXH30 is in me list to buy when times are better ...LOL...

Cheers and love reading yr review .....when you had yr blog thingy going ...

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #9 of 14
Glad to see you've come around on my favorite KZ's B 
wink.gif

still waiting on S3....I think they really are on a slow boat from China 
confused_face.gif

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #11 of 14
  @B9Scrambler.....reason me ask for the review is afaik not many own the KZ Micro Ring and ANV which we both like very much and always follow yr sound impression ......which align very much with me take except the bright part of ED9 ....which kinda suprised me knowing how much you like the JVC sound ...btw me have  HA-FX1X and HA-FR201 which imho are really bright and piercing when me first got them but now ....its really fine with me now and enjoying it  more so after discovering them later down the line compared when initially got them.

But all in all ....FXH30 is in me list to buy when times are better ...LOL...

Cheers and love reading yr review .....when you had yr blog thingy going ...

The ANV (with filter mod) still ranks among the best of the KZs in my opinion. The Micro Ring I love to death, but it's sound doesn't hold up quite as well as the ANV vs. the newest flock of KZs. The ED9 is on the brighter side to my ears, but I'm fine with that. It was the quality of their treble I had issues with. That said, I was rocking them all day at work today now that I've gone back to the stock tips. Still baffled at why I was using the with the UE600 tips before. Sounded horrible. Maybe I put them on temporarily and forgot to swap them back to another set....I don't know. Either way, problem solved :D

If you pick up the FXH30, let me know what you think. As much as I love the Titan 1 and T3 (T5...naht so much), the FXH30 still ranks above them in overall sound quality to me.

Not sure what I'm going to do with the blog...kinda lost all enthusiasm for it. No idea what to write about... blah. We shall see. If you have any ideas I'm all ears!

Glad to see you've come around on my favorite KZ's B 
wink.gif

still waiting on S3....I think they really are on a slow boat from China 
confused_face.gif

Yup! I'm glad about it too. They're still not my fav, but at least they'll move up the list when I eventually get off my butt and rework the KZ Shootout. That'll probably happen when the HDS3, ZN1 Mini, and EDR2 arrive. I'm pretty hyped for the ZN1...

Looking forward to your impressions of the S3 :D

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #12 of 14

The ANV (with filter mod) still ranks among the best of the KZs in my opinion. The Micro Ring I love to death, but it's sound doesn't hold up quite as well as the ANV vs. the newest flock of KZs. The ED9 is on the brighter side to my ears, but I'm fine with that. It was the quality of their treble I had issues with. That said, I was rocking them all day at work today now that I've gone back to the stock tips. Still baffled at why I was using the with the UE600 tips before. Sounded horrible. Maybe I put them on temporarily and forgot to swap them back to another set....I don't know. Either way, problem solved :D

If you pick up the FXH30, let me know what you think. As much as I love the Titan 1 and T3 (T5...naht so much), the FXH30 still ranks above them in overall sound quality to me.

Not sure what I'm going to do with the blog...kinda lost all enthusiasm for it. No idea what to write about... blah. We shall see. If you have any ideas I'm all ears!

Yup! I'm glad about it too. They're still not my fav, but at least they'll move up the list when I eventually get off my butt and rework the KZ Shootout. That'll probably happen when the HDS3, ZN1 Mini, and EDR2 arrive. I'm pretty hyped for the ZN1...

Looking forward to your impressions of the S3 :D

Which mod is this? I like the ANV quite a bit but the treble does get abit harsh after a while. Also hi @Wokei ! Long time no see~

Jan 19, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #13 of 14

Which mod is this? I like the ANV quite a bit but the treble does get abit harsh after a while. Also hi @Wokei ! Long time no see~

A nice simple mod that tames that treble just enough to take away the harshness, imo.

- Get some Sony Hybrids, I used large
- Cut a tiny square of fabric, which I took from a sock (don't judge me!)
- I cut a small chunk about the size of my fingernail, split it in two, pulled it apart until it was individual strands, then balled it back up
- Stuff it into the tip
- Install the tip on the ANV and use the end of the jack to pack it down

The bore of the Hybrid tips keeps the fabric from coming out. I've used them like this for well over a year and no issues at all. Sounds wonderful. Probably my fav KZ with this mod. I was thinking of trying it with the ED10 since I've found they're getting a little harsh the more I use them. Also going to try it with the ED4 at some point.

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #14 of 14

A nice simple mod that tames that treble just enough to take away the harshness, imo.

- Get some Sony Hybrids, I used large
- Cut a tiny square of fabric, which I took from a sock (don't judge me!)
- I cut a small chunk about the size of my fingernail, split it in two, pulled it apart until it was individual strands, then balled it back up
- Stuff it into the tip
- Install the tip on the ANV and use the end of the jack to pack it down

The bore of the Hybrid tips keeps the fabric from coming out. I've used them like this for well over a year and no issues at all. Sounds wonderful. Probably my fav KZ with this mod. I was thinking of trying it with the ED10 since I've found they're getting a little harsh the more I use them. Also going to try it with the ED4 at some point.

Good stuff! Was thinking of getting the hybrid tips anyway, at least now the large ones won't be wasted. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back