Random Review 580 vs. 770
Jun 25, 2005 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

dmb367

100+ Head-Fier
I just got a pair of Sennheiser HD-580’s from eCOST today, so I thought I would post my opinions, as the result shocked even me. Keep in mind they are not burned in so obviously they are going to sound terrible (blatant sarcasm). Also this is my first review; so feel free to criticize my method, as long as you’re constructive with it.
My setup is the following:

Source:
Apple iBook G4 (iTunes – no EQ) and
External USB Waveterminal U-24 (24 bit, 44,100 hz settings)
ICs:
Custom 1/4” Mono to RCA with Canare cable and Neutrik connectors
Amp:
PIMETA built by DIY Head-fier, OPA227 series I think
Headphones:
Sennheiser HD580
Beyer DT770 (recabled by Larry the Great)

I listen to a lot of random music (mainly Trance) so I’ll do a few test tracks in order to get some variety. Lets try:

Music:
Daft Punk – Something About Us
Dave Matthews – American Baby
Postal Service – Such Great Heights
ATB – The Summer
Interstate – I Found You

Interstate I Found You:
By the way this is a trance song with a strong beat and light, repetitive female vocals. Let me first say both cans did this song very well, IMHO. With the 580’s, bass is more deep and controlled – but in no way less than the 770’s. 770 seems slightly tubby and overpowering the rest of the spectrum. 580’s have better separation and are definitely more involving, more musical I would say. 770’s highs do light up the song, but at the point in the song that I A/B’ed, the 580’s just had something there that the 770’s did not. Basically the vocals from 580 are of a different tone. The vocal on the 580 seem to grab me a little more.

ATB The Summer:
The 580 played this song perfectly to my ears. The song is rather progressive, but very short for trance. By the end of the song, there are 3 or 4 different hooks attacking you. The notes on the 580 are very full and flowing, albeit from the much better mids. Vocals are crisp and engaging. 770 again did rather well, but didn’t make me think – damn that song was nuts – when it was over. Here 770 highs sparkle a little more, but with pleasure comes pain. The 770 sparkle comes with the patented Beyer harsh highs headache… can you say alliteration??

The Postal Service Such Great Heights
This is a fairly un-complex tune from “Garden State”. I not sure of the genre, for those who have heard it, I’ll call it Nintendo rock. The intro is a left to right opposing beep that sounds like a video game. The 770’s over-analyze the beeps making them no fun. 580, due to its openness, makes this beat almost surreal, like it’s actually bouncing from wall to wall at a decent distance. Other than this intro, both cans were right on par for this tune.

DMB – American Baby
I’m a huge Dave fan – been to 8 shows – personally I don’t like this pop crap, so I don’t know why I picked this song? Well here goes. 580’s were pretty neutral here. The only thing that really stuck out was about in the middle of the song, all instruments are trying to fire together and you can hear the congestion. Not really sure if this is good or bad. At the same time I could clearly distinguish keys, violin plucks, bass and sax. Roy’s sax on the 770’s was not believable. It sounded very whistle-y and high pitched. Although, due to its impact, I have to give this song to the Beyers. The 770’s added (yes added) just a little something to make this song bearable.

Daft Punk Something About Us
Extremely impressed both ways. 770’s strength here was the bass. Here the tone of the bass was slightly lower, so the booming Beyers pulled it off. If forced to choose, I think the Senns get this one. The transparent wave that slides across your ears on these delicate vocals if to die for. The bass isn’t lacking, the 580’s hold they’re own, they are just being compared to a powerhouse. Again, this track with the 580’s just grabs you and keeps you there.

Encore:
Trick Daddy, Twista & Lil John Lets Go
This is the official “rock out with your c*ck out” test song. The ideal can should have me on my feet bouncing by 2 minutes. 770 is a slap in the face, while the 580 is a brass knuckle to the jaw! The 580 takes the crown here for simple reasons. They are more musical, ie seriously I standing up after 30 seconds dancing. 580’s can be cranked just a little heavier to really get your blood moving. 770’s really have nothing for me here. Bass is weaker and when I try to volume up past 12 its headache land. All 770 can offer for this hip hop genre is piercing highs and average bass. Which brings me to ask why everyone always regards this as a fun can?

Conclusions
Well you already heard them in the music.
In addition, the 580 is far more comfortable (lighter yet stay on better). The 770 is only good on my clock for around 45 minutes of listening (due to comfort AND harshness factors).
Overall, I am very pleased with the 580’s. I bought the 770 here first thinking what everyone else thought; that it is the can for electronic. Which brings me to the purpose for this review: I think that too often cans are looked at by potential buyers and rely too much of the head-fi FOTM or what a select few members think. Don’t get me wrong – I love this place. It just seems that a lot of times your MUSIC will bring out what you want in a set of cans. Also, let ye be known that I generally have a “warm” setup. I would be very interested to see what a PPA with AD chips or a different “faster” amp could do for any set of headphones – not just ones known for bass/ known for highs.

Let me know if anyone wants pics

Whaddya think crew?

Jun 25, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #2 of 13
I think I need some more money
smily_headphones1.gif

That was pretty informative as far as I'm concerned and it helped clarify a few things about the two (as I was looking to buy another pair of phones).
Good job!

~Tom

Jun 25, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 13
thanks for the review, i listen to similar kinds of music and have been looking at the 580s, and your comments make me think that's the way to go, especially w/ the ecost deal
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #5 of 13
Nice review.... hardly surprising though. You get into the DT770/880/990, HD580/600, MS2/325, K271/501 plateau... and theyre ALL good, at their own respective things. It really comes down to personal preference. Does not surprise me one bit that someone would prefer the HD580.. its a GREAT sounding can in its own unique way.

If I had the $$$ My collection would include an HD600, DT880, SR325i and a K501 to compliment my MS2 and DT770.

Garrett

Jun 28, 2005 at 10:31 AM Post #6 of 13
The Bass of the hd580 has been my main concern, so I really appreciated you a/b-ing it with the 770. Looks like I'm going to give the hd580 another try...once I get the funds of course.
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 1:56 PM Post #7 of 13
Glad it helped a few people, I have an M3 on the way (hopefully this week) and really can't wait to hear it with both cans. The waveterminal took a huge step for my setup, I'm hoping the M3 will boost things up as well.

Dont get me wrong by this review too, I still think both of these cans are really awesome. I've been listening to both equally, mostly because the of the lure of the Darth Beyer.

Jun 28, 2005 at 2:06 PM Post #8 of 13
The M3 should be interesting. Bass on the DT770's should really tighten up. Definately tell us how it goes. I might build an M3 soon.

Jun 28, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb367
If the bass tightened up and they become a little more refined, then my 580 might become obsolete
biggrin.gif

You're not going to get the same kind of midrange, but it does get a lot less boomy. Next review, ksc75 vs HD580.
smily_headphones1.gif
I just bought a pair and they have a very similar flavor to my HD650's.

Jun 28, 2005 at 2:42 PM Post #12 of 13
While I haven't heard the 770's, I have heard the 580's paired with an M^3 and I can say the two pair VERY well together... you should be very pleased with that duo.

Jun 28, 2005 at 2:54 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by S_Dedalus
You're not going to get the same kind of midrange, but it does get a lot less boomy. Next review, ksc75 vs HD580.
smily_headphones1.gif
I just bought a pair and they have a very similar flavor to my HD650's.

That might be a better paired comparison, but I think everyone around here is sick of hearing how these 20$ clip ons are better that their full size, full price cans
biggrin.gif

I have 75's too, and I like them; its just I dont enjoy them as much as a full size 580 or 770. I guess I just like the "big" style better.

I have a pair of SR60's on the way too (I got a good deal on used - I'm getting addicted to headphones), so I will toss those in the mix with the M3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back