Ramsey Electronics - SHA1C - Stereo Headphone Amplifier
Sep 27, 2004 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

kfh227

100+ Head-Fier
Well, on another foum, someone pointed this one out. He actually makes it. he claims it's on par with a $400 headphone amp. Not an audio forum. Just sorta bumped into him.

SHA1C - Stereo Headphone Amplifier
$30. $40 with AC/DC converter.
This is not the Melos SHA1!!!

Found this humorous:
Quote:

Did you know the leading manufacturer of high-end table radios recommends the SHA1 to all their customers?!)

By the way, that leading manufacturer is Bose. I think I know where this is headed.

Here's the makers full post from another fourm:
Quote:

Ha! I would like to argue. When I designed this, (one of my first products) we did some double-blind tests. Our little SHA1 beat out a $300 unit (this was 10 years ago). Better S/N ratio and much better dynamics.

We use an inexpensive National 1W audio amplifier IC. Integrated parts are arguably better than discrete these days since the parts are well-matched, and silicon processes are much better than they were in the 70's and 80's. The key is in the power supply. The power supply should not introduce any additional noise, and this happens to work well with components that have a huge power supply rejection ratio. The 1W part has a great PSRR, and the power supply is huge overkill with low noise.

The audiophiles will argue that discretes will outperform ICs any day, but that is just marketing hype and wishfull thinking. Discretes allow for some tiny tweaking to optimize some portions of the amps, but nothing that hasn't been thought out already and built into a good IC.

The problem with a discrete design is the surface area of the board and layout, and how it will pick up EMI. With good shielding, this is reduced, even eliminated, but an IC has it "built in" by being so small.

Just my 2 cents. You can spend your money any way you like, but I don't have to spend $50 on something that is no better than a $30 unit because $50 was $200 once and boy, look at that glossy photo! (And if it was used, the previous owner really loved it!)

Ok, so I am over the top, but I have one at home that just sounds great, and I am a nut about good sound. I hope I helped, though I may be a bit boased since I designed it. It was my baby back then...

Anyone have experience with this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back