Ramen-Fi!
Dec 17, 2007 at 8:25 AM Post #106 of 185
Isn't the Japanese mayonnaise a tad different? I've seen it in stores but never bought it... maybe I should someday
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #107 of 185
You know, I really expected someone from head-fi to come around and post pictures of cupboards filled with hundreds of boxes of ramen documented by flavor, rating and origin with a couple of bizarre recipes...

I guess this is the first thing no one on here got into too seriously lol!

Dec 20, 2007 at 8:43 AM Post #108 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by fat pat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wait...your in college and not eating ramen??

Sad isn't it? The only grocery store nearby doesnt have any sort of easy to make noodle product.

Dec 20, 2007 at 10:03 AM Post #109 of 185
mmmmm, ramen
580smile.gif
got myself a supply of Shin Ramyun hot&spicy and kimchi, should get me through the holidays!

2124728462_5f8ec29a8e.jpg"

well, crap, why isn't the picture working?

Dec 25, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #110 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to enjoy eating it dry, usually with a beer.

Haven't had that much lately, but it was enough with an empty wallet. I still cook it here and there, but I like to stir in a couple of scrambled eggs, some onions, and maybe some veggies.

Erik,

At what point in the preparation do you add the scrambled eggs? Just curious, I may want to try that myself, sounds great.

JC

Dec 25, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #111 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Erik,

At what point in the preparation do you add the scrambled eggs? Just curious, I may want to try that myself, sounds great.

JC

You usually do it at the end, when the noodles are getting soft. A neat trick is to put the cracked egg into a spoon of some sort - preferably metal - so that it remains in one piece and time how long it takes to cook it that it's only half-cooked when everything else is done. The half-cooked yolk is delicious!

Dec 25, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #112 of 185
Any one here make Ramen from scratch? Been thinking of doing so, getting a lot of stock for the week or freezing the stock......

Anyone got any good recipes? ....pretty please?

May 2, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #113 of 185
Holy thread necro batman!

I am currently eating Maruchen Chicken flavored Ramen (the one in a cup) with:

-Old Bay - best. spice. ever. (at least if you're from maryland)
-Tabasco sauce
-Sliced cheddar cheese
-crushed red pepper

May 2, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #114 of 185
I've been eating Ramen pretty much one a day since as long as I can remember. My favorite is Shin Ramyun and Neoguri with seaweed. Seaweed gives the soup a refreshing taste. It's very nutrient as well.

May 2, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #115 of 185
Do you mean you added additional seaweed or just those included?

I'm thinking of buying either another box of shin ramyun (which I loved) or one of neoguri... I'm torn!

I have a half box of Kung-Fu beef and a half box of Nissin's sesame oil. Sesame oil was excellent at first, but I grow tired of it. Although it excels with chopped hot dog sausage in it!!!

May 2, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #116 of 185
Yeah, I boil the water with about 3-4 pieces of 1X1 inch cut seaweed in it. Neoguri used to come with one but they stopped doing that a few years back which was a real bummer. There are actually many kinds of seaweed but I use dasima which is kombu in japanese. I don't know the name in english but you'll be able to find them easily in any oriental stores.

May 2, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #117 of 185
There are several noodle shops here in the north bergen(NJ) area. One sells this soy based udon that is killer. Know what I'm going to get one today! BTW I never thought to find a Ramen discussion here on Head-Fi! I freaken love this place!! So dam random at times!!

May 2, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #119 of 185
Well I spent all my money on buying headphones and can not afford to have a decent meal. So, it makes perfect sense to me.
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #120 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My favorite is Sapporo Ichiban, original, chicken, or beef.

I know the Maruchan is popular but I feel that it has no flavor.

There's also a few kinds in bowls by Nong Shim (I think) that are pretty good.

Well geez, nong shin or sapporo ichiban now lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back