Ram Signature vs. Sacmod 555es
Oct 29, 2004 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

cd3000

100+ Head-Fier
compare2.jpg

I'm not sure this is an interesting discussion, but I'll give it a go.

I'm doing a little comparison between the above cdp's. I'm trying to make up my mind as to which of my two remaining cdp's I'm going to keep. Currently I have the Ram Signature and the Sony 999es. Instead of using the 999es in this comparison I'm using my co-workers Sacmod'd 555es since that's what my 999es will sound like ( I think ) if it get's modded.

I'm amping these cdp's through an Mpx3 with a solen stage 2 upgrade. I also have a PPX3 that just arrived and needs a little more burn in. Both amps sound great but you can really hear the difference between them in favor of the Mpx3.

The tube's I have to play with are shown below. Sacdlover sent these as a gift to go along with his old Mpx3 which is now mine. I have yet to experiment with them.

Early report:

First of all both cdp's sound awesome through the Mpx3. I'm going to keep it super short because I'm tired and need to go home soon.

-The Ram is smoother, more musical. Big bass, big stage.
-555es has incredible resolution and also good bass.

When you mix in the price, I think they are both about equally expensive.
Although for what I paid for the Ram ( $800 + ) it is currently a better value since the 555es goes for $500-650 plus another $650 to mod.

Tomorrow I will bring in the Cdk3 and the Senn 600 woodies to add to the mix.
I'm listening to the Senn 650/Zu woodie right now. Please feel free to jump into this thread and ask questions or offer opinions or correct me on the facts.

t1copy.gif

Oct 29, 2004 at 9:13 AM Post #2 of 7
The one thing that tubes do that cannot seem to be replicated is the soudstage they have. The great bass seems to be part of that too. However, I have to say that I feel the Zap Filter is very smooth and linear and gets very close to that linear tube sound.

My only question about the RAM mod is if the smoothness and musicality is a result of hearing the less detailed presentation of a stock clock and the euphonics of the tube sound in general vs. the more accurate signal generated by the X03 and Zap Filter in the 555. Therefore, it boils down to personal preference for the sound signature.

Isn't the mod to the 999 much more substantial than the RAM mod in terms of the power supply and other changes?

Oct 29, 2004 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 7
I can tell you from my experiences when I auditioned a Jolida that I felt it was too much tube sound and roll off as well. I much preferred to have my MPX3 tame the solid state beast. The Zap Filter with the MPX3 was about as relaxed as I wanted to get.

Nov 6, 2004 at 12:00 PM Post #7 of 7
I dont know where you plan to get the mods done on your 999ES, but if you get the Modwright ultimate truth tube mods the player is a much , much, nicer unit than the sacd mods 555ES. Not even close.
BTWE, this is coming from a big fan of the 555es mods player. I have got to listen to the modwright 999 and sacd mods 555 side by side and the resolution, detail, bass control and power, and mainly the overall smooth presentation of the modwright player is much better. Sorry if this is to far off topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back