Raleigh/Durham NC Triangle Social Event / Listening Party - Sunday, December 14th, 2014 - 1PM-9PM
Nov 24, 2014 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

NightDayAudio

Member of the Trade
Everyone,

I got my feet wet again hosting folks for an audio focused social gathering / get together at my place just yesterday.  That get together was primarily focused on speaker based system listening, although I had a bunch of headphone stuff setup and some folks took the opportunity to listen.  Even though I'm wiped out today, I'm already planning the next opportunity to hang out and talk audio with fellow audio obsessed folks....

This next get together, I'd like to primarily focus on headphone based listening and all the gear we use to enjoy our head-fi based music systems.

So the official date for the meet is Sunday, December 14th, 2014 from 1PM - 9PM at the latest.  Location will be at my place in South Durham, NC close to The Streets at Southpoint Mall.  

Lots of folks asked for a Sunday date as having this last meet on Saturday was the main reason conflicting with why they couldn't attend.  So set your calendars for Sunday the 14th and make arrangements to come hang out and socialize.  Significant others and families are welcome.  It doesn't have to be a bunch of dudes salivating over electronic goodies :)  My 2.5 year old son would appreciate a playdate if that is the only stumbling block to keep you from making it.

One of the attendees from yesterday has already committed to coming back for this event and is bringing his stack of Auralic components.  So for those interested in hearing the Auralic Aries streamer, Vega DAC, and Taurus amp, it will be in attendance.  He's also bringing his Mr. Speakers' Alpha Dogs for those that haven't had a chance to hear that model.

One of the other attendees from yesterday is our resident circuit genius that is a savant with a soldering iron in his hand.  He's got a couple cool designs he's built up, including a little class A headphone amp that he'd like more opinions on.  So far, everyone that has heard it has raved about it.  His brother knows CAD.  So he did up a couple raw circuit boards for him to be able to build a few easily for locals if they liked it.  He's huge on the concept of high end sound on a budget and getting maximum value.  So it's not pricey stuff he's playing with.  His i15 integrated amp that we listened to until nearly 3AM this morning was ridiculously good for what it costs to build it.... important to note I am not describing a business here.  Just a hobbyist that is a fountain of knowledge with great soldering skills and likes to share.

As for what I can add to the party, I need to confirm with the distributor, but I should conceivably have a few of the first production run of Unison Research's new SH DAC/tube headphone amp in my hands by then.  So that will be in addition to the gear that folks were listening to yesterday:

Headphones:
Audeze LCD-2 Bamboo and Rosewood, LCD-3, LCD-X, and LCD-XC
Fostex's new TH-500RP, as well as TH-600, TH-900, and T50RP with modifications
Sennheiser HD600, HD650, HD700, HD800, IE800, Urbanite XL, and Momentum Over Ear

Headphone specific DACs & Amps:
PS Audio DirectStream DSD DAC can feed any of the headphone amps
Abbingdon Music Research (AMR) DP-777 tube output DAC
B.M.C. Audio PureDAC DAC/balanced headphone amp
Bakoon Products HPA-21, HPA-01 battery powered current drive headamps - I might have HPA-01M mobile version as well if they get into production in time.  I pre-paid/pre-ordered some and I think I'm scheduled to be the first in the USA to get some :)
iFi Audio's complete lineup including Nano iDSD & iCAN, as well as the Micro iDSD that everyone is raving about, Micro iUSBPower, Micro iDAC, Micro iCAN, Micro iTube, Micro iPhono, Mercury, Gemini, iPurifier, etc.
Fostex HP-A4, HP-A8C, and HP-V1 battery powered portable amp with tube driver
Red Wine Audio Signature 16 with single ended headphone amp built in
Sennheiser HDVD 800 DAC/balanced headphone amp

Cables: 
- WyWires RED Series headphone cables and adapters as well as other cabling in their Blue and Silver series
- Tellurium Q interconnect cabling and power cords including their top of the line stuff
- iFi Audio cables mentioned above (Mercury, Gemini) as well as included cables with their gear like those with the iRack w/ cables
- Custom made headphone cables using high end cable manufacturers' wire that is cut and built into custom headphone cables for my own listening pleasure.  Everything from Furutech to some commerical stuff that I cut up and converted...

I can't make any promises, but I could have a few other surprises by then as well.

If anyone is interested in stopping by to socialize and meet the group, please just PM me here or shoot me an email (sales at nightanddayaudio dot com) so I can give you directions and get an accurate headcount to make sure there are enough snacks.  

You're welcome to come listen to anything that is here.  This is *NOT* a sales event at all.  It's a social gathering to listen to gear you otherwise might not get to hear and an opportunity to socialize.  I had some head-fiers email and PM that they were coming yesterday and then did not make it... had they made it, they could chime in here about how true my statements are that this is a social gathering and how it is completely against my nature to be a sales pitch kind of guy.  There will be *zero* sales pitches at this event or me initiating anything of the sort.  Come eat my food (or bring your own to share) and listen to my (and others') gear.  If you have something you want to share with the group, by all means bring it along.  We'd all love to listen to it and compare how it sounds with the rest of the stuff here.  That's one of the perks of these listening parties is getting to hear things and then hear things head to head against one another that you often wouldn't even get to do in an audio show environment.  There's no replacement for getting to see, touch, and listen something and even getting to compare it directly with the competition.  Not everyone is as crazy as I am to buy practically everything out there just to compare it to what I already own (or visit the various audio shows to get a feel for what is out there equipment wise).  Maybe someone will get some benefit out of my crazy obsession for this stuff... and I might get to make some new audio buddies in the process.... that's my only motivation in all this.  

Again, please PM or email me with any questions, as well as to confirm your attendance for the event.  Thanks!

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 53
I'm very much looking forward to this event.  

Yes, Shane is NOT a salesman at these events but will happily answer any questions you have.  Oh, and if you want to purchase something, he'll sell it to you too.  :)

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 53
Anyone else?

Nov 29, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 53
Question for you NDA - are your LCD2 Fazor or not?  I've listened to both and find that I enjoy my non-Fazor more so if yours are Fazor then I'll be toting mine along with me.  Decided to post this out in the open instead of PM in case anyone else was wondering.

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #5 of 53
All of my Audeze demos are now Fazor.  The non-fazor LCD-2s were my introduction to the brand and I love what they do... but i must admit, I now prefer Fazor based ones.... 

Please do bring along your non-Fazor LCD-2s!.... that would be a great comparison for folks to hear!...

I'm definitely going to have the Unison Research SH DAC/EL-84 headphone amp here... hopefully I get enough time on it to get it fully seasoned for folks....

I'd love to have more tube based amps here for folks to compare to the solid state things.  I'm thiiiiiiiiis close to ordering up some Woo Audio stuff just to have here so folks can listen and compare... and I'll likely grab a few of the current indiegogo darlings as I'm curious to hear how they implemented things... it's certainly an interesting business model they have going over there...

as I type this up, I'm currently enjoying the fruits of my labors in building some headphone cables and comparing them with the commercial offerings I have... talk about making the Sennheiser HD800s sound different with just a simple cable swap! :)  this little hobby can get outrageously expensive in a hurry... but it's so darn fun :)

I'm really looking forward to meeting some new folks in a couple weeks.  If you're interested in attending, please let me know.  Thanks!

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #6 of 53
I've got a WA7 that I'm a little scared to move around but I may get a wild hair that day and decide to bring it as well.  Problem is I'll be arriving the later half of the demo and it takes a bit to warm up.  I'll think about it between now and then.

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #7 of 53
  I've got a WA7 that I'm a little scared to move around but I may get a wild hair that day and decide to bring it as well.  Problem is I'll be arriving the later half of the demo and it takes a bit to warm up.  I'll think about it between now and then.

That's what they make inverters for.  :wink:

Dec 8, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #8 of 53
Hey, I live in the Raleigh area and am very interested in coming to this! I have a pair of HD600's and Alpha Dogs that I wouldn't mind tugging along for curious folks as well.

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #9 of 53
Living in the Hampton Roads area in Virginia, I'm very interested in attending this since Raleigh is just a couple of hours drive and wouldn't mind going.  I've never been to a Head-Fi meet before and hopefully able to make it to this one.  I currently have the Sennheiser HD700's , HD650's, and my newly acquired Audio Technica ATH-W1000X woodies. 

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #10 of 53
  Living in the Hampton Roads area in Virginia, I'm very interested in attending this since Raleigh is just a couple of hours drive and wouldn't mind going.  I've never been to a Head-Fi meet before and hopefully able to make it to this one.  I currently have the Sennheiser HD700's , HD650's, and my newly acquired Audio Technica ATH-W1000X woodies. 

Nice.  Come on down!  I go up from CLT which is about 2.5 hrs.  Shane is a super host and the guys are great fun.  I've been looking forward to this for weeks.  

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #11 of 53
  Hey, I live in the Raleigh area and am very interested in coming to this! I have a pair of HD600's and Alpha Dogs that I wouldn't mind tugging along for curious folks as well.

You must come if you're local!

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #12 of 53
Oh definitely, I've been meaning to meet some fellow Head-Fi'ers in the area. The fact that I'm scouting out a summit fi option makes this even sweeter. 

Do we just PM you for the address, or how do we get that detail?

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #13 of 53
  Nice.  Come on down!  I go up from CLT which is about 2.5 hrs.  Shane is a super host and the guys are great fun.  I've been looking forward to this for weeks.  

Thank you!  I just sent the OP a message, too.  I've also been looking forward to something like this in a while.   Should be really interesting!  

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #14 of 53
  Thank you!  I just sent the OP a message, too.  I've also been looking forward to something like this in a while.   Should be really interesting!  

Great!  The hardest part is not wanting to buy everything.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #15 of 53
  Great!  The hardest part is not wanting to buy everything.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Haha I know what you mean!  Looking forward to seeing and meeting everyone there.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back