Raising my game: what comes after the SMSL AD-18 for 2.0 + headphones?
Feb 24, 2020 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DCofficehack

100+ Head-Fier
I have a desktop the following desktop setup at home: A SMSL AD-18 powering Sennheiser HD-650 and a pair of Micca RB42. All connected either to my phone via BT or a Macbook pro.

I consider the SMSL to be adequate. And I have a small desk, so the form factor counts for a lot. However, I'm convinced I can do better, especially for the HD-650s. Indeed, I think I get better sound straight out of my Earstudio ES-100. Also, at work I connect my ES-100 to a Magni 2 and HD-600s. And yes, I believe the ES-100/Magni 2 is superior to the AD-18, even accounting for the different sound signature of the two headphones.

If all I wanted was a better headphone set up, it would be easy: a Schiit stack or the JDS equivalent would do the job. But I also need to power speakers.

What comes next? Are there better all-in-ones? Do I have to get, say, a Schiit stack and a separate speaker amp to connect to the DAC? Meaning, I have to go from one box (the SMSL) to three?

Feb 24, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #2 of 8
From what I've understood the lower end Schiit products are more designed with price : performance in mind so if you're looking for a really great DAC/AMP the Leckerton Audio UHA-6S.MKII may be a better option.

It houses a flagship Cirrus Logic DAC and the amp is also great. The fact that it's portable is also a bonus. It could be worth putting into consideration.

Feb 24, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #3 of 8
From what I've understood the lower end Schiit products are more designed with price : performance in mind so if you're looking for a really great DAC/AMP the Leckerton Audio UHA-6S.MKII may be a better option.

It houses a flagship Cirrus Logic DAC and the amp is also great. The fact that it's portable is also a bonus. It could be worth putting into consideration.

Sounds like a great option for headphones, but I'll need to power speakers as well. Or is the idea to get the Leckerton and connect them to a power amp? Then at least I keep the boxes on my desk to 2.

Feb 24, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #4 of 8
Exactly you could do that! They have three different digital inputs which makes it quite flexible.

My dad actually has some insane B&W and Wharfdale speakers with an NAD AMP that I've plugged the Leckerton's into and the increase in sound quality was really something.

I think the mix of the Leckerton's being made by an actual Cirrus Logic Audio Engineer as well as them housing their flagship chip make it a really solid product.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 8
Exactly you could do that! They have three different digital inputs which makes it quite flexible.

My dad actually has some insane B&W and Wharfdale speakers with an NAD AMP that I've plugged the Leckerton's into and the increase in sound quality was really something.

I think the mix of the Leckerton's being made by an actual Cirrus Logic Audio Engineer as well as them housing their flagship chip make it a really solid product.

What you're recommending doesn't seem to have a line out that I could connect to a power amp for speakers.

Feb 24, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #6 of 8
What you're recommending doesn't seem to have a line out that I could connect to a power amp for speakers.

A line out as in RCA sockets or do you mean a preamp function?

You can get an Auxilary to RCA adapter/cable or in terms of preamp you can set it to maximum volume on low gain mode which is +/- 0 dB unamp'd volume which serves the same purpose for all intents and purposes. That's what I did when plugging it into my dad's system and it sounded great.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #7 of 8
I believe what I need is a pre-amp, although I guess it's possible to feed audio out into an amp that can power speakers. A pre-amp out would mean, i think, less fussing with volume. Ideally I'd like just to be able to flip a switch between headphone and speakers.

Feb 24, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #8 of 8
Honestly since the low gain maximum volume setting on the Leckerton unit is basically a preamp I think you'll be okay.

The same setting is perfect for plugging headphones into as well.

Trust me once you listen to that setup on your speakers you'll be glad you gave it a shot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back