Raise your hand if you like the V600
Oct 25, 2004 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Headphoneus Supremus
I've sometimes wondered this... Does anybody on Head-Fi like the Sony MDR-V600.

If you don't like it, you don't have to say anything, but you can if you really want to.

But you like it, please by all means tell us why.

CURIOUS...

Oct 25, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 21
Reminds me of that time at best buy . . . (you know the story)

Must destroy . . . just kidding. I haven't heard the v600 enough to make a valid comment. Hard to audtion when the phone is in pieces.
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2004 at 2:04 AM Post #3 of 21
The V600 is great for hearing only the midbass part of the recording, if you don't want bottom end, midrange, or highs.

If someone was confused as to what the term midbass meant, I'd have them listen to music through V600s.

Cheers,
Geek

Oct 25, 2004 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 21
I prefer Sony's MDR-CD180 to the V600.

The V600 really is that bad. I don't know what they were thinking when they were designing it.

I don't know what consumers are thinking when they buy it.

It's not even comfortable like the Bose QC2s or Bose Triports. It doesn't look pretty, either.

Oct 25, 2004 at 3:22 AM Post #6 of 21
V-CRAP. What more can I say?
very_evil_smiley.gif

The V600 delivers a boxy, muddy bloat running from about 80Hz to about 1kHz - and then drops off rapidly beyond that narrow range.

Oct 25, 2004 at 12:40 PM Post #8 of 21
3 persons voted for yes (like the V600)....

Later i found out that the reasons were:

person 1 : accidentally voted Yes instead of no (dyslexic)

person 2 : was still drunk

person 3 : SONY rep. (working for sony)

Oct 25, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 21
I didnt care for their sound... so I got the older V6 instead. Would have got the smoother V900 but my budget was tight @ the time.
I thought the V600 was comfortable though, seemed to do a better job of enclosing my ears than the acoustically superior V6.
So, the only justification I see for (maybe) buying the 600 is if youre the tweeking/tinkering type. They can be found cheap on ebay~$30. Maybe drop in a better set of drivers, or that type of thing.... for some trial / error experimentation perhaps.

KSC-75's will blow them out of the water though IMHO, so if youre after a sub- $30 budget can V-600s still suck.

Oct 26, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #11 of 21
As of now:

4 People like the V600 (Who knows why, but lets not flame
smily_headphones1.gif
)

and as expected

38 People don't like the V600 (we ALL know why)

Nobody said why they liked it..

Oct 26, 2004 at 2:27 AM Post #12 of 21
I used to listen to a pair of CD180s, and they sounded sonically pretty decent given their price; the V600 has nothing but midbass. If the designers were going for massive bass in order to impress basshead teens and wanted to sacrifice even bass accuracy and tonality to just get lots of midbass "booom" sound, they succeeded brilliantly.

Cheers,
Geek

Oct 26, 2004 at 7:49 AM Post #13 of 21
I've had the V6's and I prefer the v600's to them. The v6's were way to bright for me. For some reason the v600's have a better soundstage also. I agree that they're over priced, but they're not as bad as some say imo. of course I haven't heard many phones. Also I listen to a lot of hip-hop ,r&b.. and the v600s work well with that sort of music.. if u read they're dj phones. don't expect them to be built for classical music.

Oct 26, 2004 at 8:29 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by anyoung
I've had the V6's and I prefer the v600's to them. The v6's were way to bright for me. For some reason the v600's have a better soundstage also. I agree that they're over priced, but they're not as bad as some say imo. of course I haven't heard many phones. Also I listen to a lot of hip-hop ,r&b.. and the v600s work well with that sort of music.. if u read they're dj phones. don't expect them to be built for classical music.

I have to take issue with that claim. The V600's sound lifeless and dull (with absolutely no impact at all whatsoever) to my ears, even with hip-hop and rap. In fact, I've found even $15 headphones to outperform the V600's with those genres.

Oct 27, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #15 of 21
600smile.gif
I've got the V600s ( purchased second hand) and the HD-280s as my closed cans. Of the two I prefer the HD-280s. They both sound like crap when you first get them. They REQUIRE break in. The v600s have a very harsh highend until they've been run for a week or so of run time. But then mine seemed to mellow out. When listened to back to back with my KCS-55s they have slightly emphasized highs and lack low end. But for a $100 closed cans, not bad. THe HD-280s sound way better however and cost about the same. That's why I have them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back