RadioShack Volume Control as 75 Ohm Adapter
Dec 26, 2005 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

xluben

500+ Head-Fier
I just got a DMM and adjusted my RadioShack Volume Attenuator to ~75 Ohms, and I was wondering if this would be equivalent to an Etymotic P->S adapter?

This would be used with my Koss UR40/KSC35/KSC75 and I think there was still a discrepancy with this mod that wasn't cleared up in other posts. It seems that Drew from Moon Audio (and probably others) does the '75 Ohm Mod' by putting the resistor from the + to - tab on the headphones. This would put the resistor in parallel and lower the total resistance (33.33 Ohms). While kramer5150 (and probably others) use the Ety P->S adapter or put 75 Ohms in series with each channel by some other means, which would increase the resistance (135 Ohms).

But somehow they both seem to expect/hear similar results. So, what are the differences in the these two methods (sonically)?

Dec 26, 2005 at 7:45 AM Post #2 of 6
Im also interested in an exploration of question 2.

As for the volume-control, in theory, it should be just like the Ety adapter, adding in-line resistance. Thought the quality of the resistors/cabling in the volume-control may have an effect on the sound.

Dec 26, 2005 at 8:58 AM Post #3 of 6
sorry but, what is the 75 ohm adapter for? i have no idea on this at all. Could someone please explain what it is, and what it does?

Cheers
eggosmile.gif

Dec 26, 2005 at 9:16 AM Post #4 of 6
Generally used to turn the ER-4P into its high impedance brother, the ER-4S. I am no electrician so I don't know WHY a higher impedance would mean better sound quality. Please would someone explain? This adaptor is also used to turn the Koss KSC35 into a "higher-end" piece of equipment. (again, HOW??)

Dec 26, 2005 at 9:23 AM Post #5 of 6
Fwiw, with my Portapros I hear no appreciable difference using a 75 ohm adapter (Ety-style). To my ears, there's just less volume. It does offer a bit more play with the volume pot, but this is not a big deal.

Nov 28, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #6 of 6
High impedance allows you to use an amp. You know how your music sounds the best right before you've turned it up too loud? That's because the amp (whether it be the one built into your music player or otherwise) is providing enough power to get all the details correctly and, more importantly, even. Higher resistance allows you to turn up the music so the amp throws out all the right sounds, but keeps it from blowing your ears apart. When you use the radio shack controller, try turning up your iPod or whatever as far as it goes, and then use the controller as it is intended. I noticed a pretty big difference on my Ety hf3s, and a HUGE difference with a Fiio E6 amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back