Radioshack 18/24v adapter to Porta Corda
Feb 8, 2004 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

canfraggle

New Head-Fier
Um ... I got the PC second hand from the for sale boards, works nice. Then I went and bought a power adapter from Radioshack, it was an 18/24v 1000mA power adapter and I got the right plug for it too but when I plugged it in, I heard *fzzt* and saw smoke rising. Fortunately for me, battery power still works and there doesn't seem to have been any negative effects, but for anyone intending to use a Porta Corda with this particular Radioshack adapter, you may want to investigate your choices a little more thoroughly.

If anyone has any suggestions what may have caused this mishap, I'm all ears.

Feb 8, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 7
Yeah I did the same thing!...

You bought an AC Adapter...
booh! so did I... but if your lucky you won't have any issues with your corda..

Now if someone would link me to a 28-30v AC/DC adapter on the net for United States... I'd hug them...
smily_headphones1.gif
thanks!

Feb 9, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 7
don't feel bad. i smoked my 1st porta corda about a year or 2 ago. i think i followed the instructions correctly. a plume of smoke billowed forth!

jan said i must have done some damage & he translated what the instructions said or should have said or how i should have read them or something. i still did not understand his explanation & never used a wallwart on the 2nd porta corda. i have listened to both units extensivly & can not tell any difference whatsoever.

enjoy

Feb 9, 2004 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 7
You did make sure the polarity was correct, right?

Feb 10, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #5 of 7
Um, now that I look at the plug (it's one of those plug into a plug adaptaplug types) I had it reversed. Well done me. I wonder if it would have worked had the polarity been right :/

Feb 10, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by canfraggle
Um, now that I look at the plug (it's one of those plug into a plug adaptaplug types) I had it reversed. Well done me. I wonder if it would have worked had the polarity been right :/

Sounds like you found the problem. If you want to do it again, just send the amp to me instead.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back