Radiopaq Jazz vs Sony MDR-EX500LP please help
Sep 28, 2009 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

dimp

New Head-Fier
Hi to all,

I'm looking to buy a new IEM set, I'm going to use them for commuting, unamped, so far I have found the:

Radiopaq Jazz for 40 euro
Sony MDR-EX500LP for 57 euro

I have heard a lot of nice things about Radiopaq Jazz and Sony MDR-EX500LP but can someone comment on how these are in terms of speed? Are they fast and rhythmic?

How are these two are generaly compared? Which one has the best mids,highs and clarity? Also if someone has one of the two IEMs can you elaborate a little on the sound?

I listen mostly rock,indie but also jazz and acoustic music and I am quite sensitive in vocal quality. I like the bass to be fast and not bloated.

Thank you all, you have a really nice community here, and realy sorry for my english

Sep 28, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 16
Thank you mark, yes please elaborate more when you can. I've also read you review, you are really helpful. The truth is, I liked almost every Sony IEM and earbud I've tried in the past, unlike lets say Sennheiser (although, to be fair, I've only tried cheaper ones).

But you are right, I'll use them about 2 hours every working day in the bus and the metro so isolation is important.

And also are the Radiopaq and Sony deep insertion IEMs? Because I don't really like the feeling of these.

Sep 29, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #4 of 16
The Radiopaqs are rather fat, so they aren't really deep-insertion IEMs. Haven't tried the Sonys, but if you like your sound warm, smooth, and refined, I can't imagine that the Jazz will disappoint.

Sep 29, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #5 of 16
right as you have read i liked the jazz, they are warm but not so warm i want to sleep like the sonys make me. the sonys are just so warm and smooth even the highs are warmed and gentle in a way i just think is the audio equivalent of a warm bath and scented candles. very gentle and relaxing.

bass is good and quite big on both, softer on the sony. on the jazz it can punch on the sony unamped its a bit slow, pleasant but not bouncy

mids are nice on both but clearer on the jazz the sony warms and softens vocals a tad much for my liking.

highs the sony softens them way too much, to me they just sound wrong the jazz is much better here

Sep 29, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #6 of 16
Well, looks like the Radiopaq Jazz is for me then. I don't really like overly warm sound. In comparison with an armature design like the Philips SHE9850 does it loose a lot of detail?

Thank you both of you guys

Sep 29, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #7 of 16
Haven't heard those Philips, but I can definitely tell you that its incorrect to assume that dynamics produce less detail than armature phones. The Jazz are very reasonably detailed for the price - not on-par with the Ety Er6i or RE2s, but certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #8 of 16
If you want isolation, the EX500s are automatically game over. The isolation is horrible with them, i could not stand the noise protruding into my music when i wore those taking the subway..

Sep 30, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, looks like the Radiopaq Jazz is for me then. I don't really like overly warm sound. In comparison with an armature design like the Philips SHE9850 does it loose a lot of detail?

Thank you both of you guys

does it loose detail compared to the 9850? yes

but the jazz are the far more fun of the 2 and they cant go near what the jazz does with the low end

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #10 of 16
Where did you find Radiopaq Jazz for 40 Euros?
The cheapest I have found is 49 pounds
frown.gif
(except amazon which doesn't ship to Romania it seems)

Oct 8, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #14 of 16
Although I am a little harsh concerning the Jazzs' sound staging, there's no way I'd pick the Sony's in place of them. Radiopaq Jazz are my new sub £50 favourites over my previous favourite, bass heavy, metro.fi 2. in fact, i'm going to have a little listen now.

As for the hifiheadphones, i got mine for £29 offer, and that was a few weeks ago. I assume this offer was a one off, and so even though you may want the Jazz headphones, I'd certainly have a go on any others there ... before I buy them all!

Oct 8, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #15 of 16
currently, the 'Pops' are the only ones left. I also have to add that so far they have good build quality, a really good feel to them, and they look sexy without trying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back