Radiohead vs. Pink Floyd
Mar 23, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #31 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabrage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a stupid, elitest, hipster dumbass thing to say. A lot of Korean companies blatantly rip off American and Japanese cell phone designs, and many times the phones they rip off aren't even good. Saying presumptuous things like "You probably don't listen to any other international bands" was one of the most dumb and elitest actions I have ever seen. As for a band that spawned a legion of followers and copycats with just one album? The Sex Pistols. Pack up your bags and leave, because you look like an idiot.

Your lack of intelligence and and civil manner is the most dumb thing I've ever seen. Even though Sex Pistols have only one studio album, they've been very active in recording singles and concerts. Even so they're not nearly influential enough to be compared to other great bands, even Radiohead. I know this because I used to live oversees and listen to other country's music as well, mainly underground. I may not be a total expert in music but I know enough to recognize who's trying to sound like who and lots of underground bands just all sound like Radiohead, even Thom York's vocal style. If you used your brain and read this fact, you will know that I'm speaking fact, not assuming. And your example of Korean cellphone companies is just so unrelated and has nothing to do with what we're discussing in this thread. What does a cellphone company have to do with Pink Floyd? Your poorly executed argument doesn't hold any credibility to the argument at point.

Mar 23, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #32 of 55
This Radioheads influence thing became suprise to me. Don't see Pink Floyd influencing a lot either.
I think both are the kind of bands that many listen but copying them is not going to do you any good.
You can not reach them. You can just try to make their music more avarage joe friendly.

Edit: There is one progressive rock album that I qualify besides Pink Floyd - the Wall
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crescent_(Gackt_album)
Go and try it out, hope you'll like it.

Mar 23, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #33 of 55
Thanks for the comment Sabrage, but analogbox has revealed himself as a fanboi who can't be reasoned with. He doesn't want to talk about music, he wants to win an argument, and I'm not here to argue.

I assure you my weirdo music credentials are well in order, and I am pretty sure I have at least as catholic a taste for music as anyone else on this site.

Mar 23, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #34 of 55
I really hate this comparing bands thing because it just comes down to opinion. In my opinion Pink Floyd was much more original than Radiohead in the timeframe they originated, and every Pink Floyd album seems more like a "complete work" or "cohesive piece" in itself than anything Radiohead has produced. Furthermore, I could come to this conclusion looking at only 5 years of Pink Floyd focusing on Dark Side and Wish You Were Here. Radiohead is a good band but c'mon, are we going to compare The Black Crows and Led Zeppelin next?

Mar 23, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #35 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the comment Sabrage, but analogbox has revealed himself as a fanboi who can't be reasoned with. He doesn't want to talk about music, he wants to win an argument, and I'm not here to argue.

I assure you my weirdo music credentials are well in order, and I am pretty sure I have at least as catholic a taste for music as anyone else on this site.

You say I can't be reasoned with and yet you haven't put any efforts to reason with me with any credible evidence. Your first statement was vague and I already expressed that I might have misunderstood your argument since you weren't clear in your words. Also, I might have been too blunt in assuming your musical taste so I do apologize for my words, but if I was a simple fanboy with no knowledge what so ever, I wouldn't have voted for Pink Floyd in this thread. I just say what I believe is true and disagree what I believe is a false statement which it sure sounded like.

Mar 24, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #38 of 55
Analogbox, In post that I was responding to, you asserted that Radiohead was influential because you had heard copycat bands in Asian countries. By that logic, I was able to assert that a crappy cell phone might also be influential because there are copycat cell phones in Asian countries. I have related this to the matter at hand using the magical transitional device known as a "metaphor." Whether your seeming ignorance of this device is due to a lack of education or years of glue sniffing is not up to me to ascertain.

Also in your original post, you made several presumptuous and idiotic statements, so trying to play this off with a holier-than-thou dismissal isn't going to gain any sympathy from me or the people you insulted. Don't tell me that Radiohead is more influential than The Sex Pistols, that's ******** and we both know it. Where Radiohead has enamored the mainstream alt-rock devout, The Sex Pistols influenced every ******* punk band that has come since the release of Never Mind the Bollocks. They spawned an entire angry, anarchistic culture where Radiohead has managed to make a few more people bob their heads at concerts instead of dance. Guidry is absolutely right, you are a fanboy in its worst, basest form and until you admit it and move on I will be ignoring your posts.

Mar 24, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #39 of 55
Pink Floyd versus Radiohead = The Beatles versus Oasis get my drift
smily_headphones1.gif

Though I love both bands

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #40 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabrage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Analogbox, In post that I was responding to, you asserted that Radiohead was influential because you had heard copycat bands in Asian countries. By that logic, I was able to assert that a crappy cell phone might also be influential because there are copycat cell phones in Asian countries. I have related this to the matter at hand using the magical transitional device known as a "metaphor." Whether your seeming ignorance of this device is due to a lack of education or years of glue sniffing is not up to me to ascertain.

Also in your original post, you made several presumptuous and idiotic statements, so trying to play this off with a holier-than-thou dismissal isn't going to gain any sympathy from me or the people you insulted. Don't tell me that Radiohead is more influential than The Sex Pistols, that's ******** and we both know it. Where Radiohead has enamored the mainstream alt-rock devout, The Sex Pistols influenced every ******* punk band that has come since the release of Never Mind the Bollocks. They spawned an entire angry, anarchistic culture where Radiohead has managed to make a few more people bob their heads at concerts instead of dance. Guidry is absolutely right, you are a fanboy in its worst, basest form and until you admit it and move on I will be ignoring your posts.

Your use of "metaphor" is very poor. How can a crappy cell phone be influential in anyway? Do people go out and copy crappy cellphones? No. They try to copy good designs but fail to succeed in doing so that's the result of the crappy cellphones. And by your logic of "metaphor" you're actually implying that the Radiohead is a crappy band which sounds you're just ignorant and don't see the reality. Call me whatever you like, I'm a fan of Radiohead alright, so of Pink Floyd. I love both bands and I'd go to their concerts if they had one every single night, but just because their music is not your taste doesn't make them "crappy". Whether you agree or not, to majority of the people, they're regarded as the most repected and celebrated band of of this decade. Sex Pistol isn't even nearly as influential compare to either of them. If anything, Clash had more to do with it than Sex Pistols. Just because you like them doesn't make them any more influential than it really is. Really, your hater attitude is much more clear than my "fanboyism". Guess what? You're just added to my ignore list so don't even bother replying cuz I won't be able to see your post and more importantly, have no time to talk to ignorant fool like you.

Bye now.

Mar 25, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #41 of 55
I haven't listened to any Radiohead. They don't seem to be a worthy band to me. I on the other hand like 1) progressive rock, 2) british rock, 3) PF-likes. Perhaps I should give it a shot?

Mar 25, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #42 of 55
The trouble with this poll is it is rather like the Radiohead versus Coldplay one - one band is much better than the other. In this case Radiohead stands musically so far ahead of Pink Floyd it just isn't fair to compare them.

Pink Floyd is simplistic nonsense - schoolboy profundities backed by souless and lifeless music - your father might have liked them, but thats no reason to be listening to them way beyond their use by date. They weren't critically acclaimed in the 70s (even then people knew better), and time hasn't made their bloated music sound even one tiny bit better.

Put me in the Radiohead camp I guess...

Mar 25, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #44 of 55
Pink Floyd during David Gilmour era is my fav.

Mar 25, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #45 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pink Floyd during David Gilmour era is my fav.

Couldn't agree more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back