Radiohead: Vinyl vs CD Comparisons ??
Feb 20, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #31 of 42
I'm listening to Ok Computer on Vinyl now. It sounds bloody fantastic!!! However I do have In Rainbows on Vinyl and CD, and I think there's really not much difference between the two, might even have to tip the hat to CD for In Rainbows.

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #32 of 42
I believe I had read that Kid A was recorded on analogue gear which makes a difference - when analogue recordings get mastered for CD they lose a lot of realism in the bass. Digital recordings mastered to vinyl do little improve the sound - case in point those new 'Back to Black' vinyl releases by Universal, they have been using digital masters and the vast concensus is that they suck - they only did a few from the original tapes, Hendrix's 'Axis: Bold as Love' is one - which I picked up and it sounds killer.

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #33 of 42
^ Interesting point about Kid A. I was going to post this elsewhere, but since we're sort of talking generally about Radiohead recordings, I have always thought that Amnesiac has been mastered or recorded poorly. There seems to be a very obvious amount of static noise in the background of the album; especially noticeable between tracks and in quieter passages. I've always found it quite distracting. Can anyone support or confirm their thoughts on this? Do I just have a bad version or something???

Feb 20, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #35 of 42
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't get to see it live, I had to see it on the internet.
They had it together! It gave me chills.

I got served
smile.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #36 of 42
I just heard OK Computer 180 Gram vinyl, it sounds a million times better than the cd!

Feb 20, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #37 of 42
The new vinyl re-issues being done by Ron McMaster over at Capitol best their CD counterparts.

Here is what my In Rainbows remaster looks like:

CD 1
InRainbowsCD1.jpg

CD 2
InRainbowsCD2.jpg

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #38 of 42
In Rainbows on vinyl is da bomb! It takes you to a different place.
If anyone really loves that album or CD, then I recommend that you get the video:

"In Rainbows: From The Basement".

I first saw it on the Palladia HD Music channel. It gives you great insight to the album and what everyone is doing to create their mood swings.

Feb 22, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #39 of 42
Funny, I was just thinking about starting a thread about how great a recording "In Rainbows" really is. To be honest it's my first Radiohead CD.
tongue_smile.gif

I just bought the CD a couple weeks ago and I can't stop listening to it on my rig. Amazing detail and imaging, probably one of the best recorded CD's I've bought in a long time.
icon10.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #41 of 42
people were right about the Hail to the thief vinyl, it sounds way better than the cd. The mix is alot better and so are the dynamics and details.

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #42 of 42
I have vinyl 'rips' of all the albums and HTTT is by far the most improved. In Rainbows I like better in CD though, the vinyl sounds kinda 'raspy' or something, maybe it's just the person who did a poor job transferring to digital. OKC is sublime, The Bends is waay more open and dynamic, Amnesiac didn't change much, Kid A is an emphatically more vast landscape...Pablo Honey: who cares, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back