Radiohead the new Coldplay?
Jan 22, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #16 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can understand being underwhelmed, but the new Coldplay? That's harsh.

x2

I really don't like coldplay at all. Radiohead's new album is great in my opinion...nothing amazing, but very beautiful and one of the best of the year. It's not overproduced, it's fresh, simple and concise...you can pick out the instruments. it's intimate. in my opinion that's what good music is all about. Comparing it to OK computer doesn't do it justice cause they're so diffent. The album is more like Kid A in that it's quite, consise, less explosive, in my opinion.

Jan 22, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #17 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian loves music /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

I really don't like coldplay at all.

Hehehe, I don't think some of you have really listened to a Coldplay album. They sound almost exactly like this.

Jan 22, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #18 of 50
...non-fan crashing the party. I've always felt Radiohead should answer for making the world safe for Coldplay. The other day I actually pulled out Kid A (the "difficult" Rh album I thought I dug) and couldn't get through it. Admittedly, a minority opinion in this forum...

Jan 22, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #19 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehehe, I don't think some of you have really listened to a Coldplay album. They sound almost exactly like this.

How so? I'm listening to "All I need" right now. Piano, Yorke singing, heavy cymbals, some electronic instruments thrown in it sounds like...perhaps the most similar in terms of setup for Coldplay track outside of Faust Arp which has the strings and acoustic guitar...but the way the songs are constructed as a whole are just wholly different, save for Faust, which could have been a Coldplay song I suppose. For some bands...like say how She Wants Revenge sounds like Interpol. Heck sometimes I can't tell the two apart. But I'm not sure that this album necessarily has such a resemblance, in fact, in my opinion not even close. There are similarities between the two groups because well...Chris Martin acknowledges Radiohead and U2 as heavy influences, yet enough distinction, that I never feel there is exact copying going on. Coldplay though seems to copy its own music. Scientist and Clocks for instance sound very similar.

Jan 22, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #20 of 50
First off, I don't see the point in making direct comparisons to the bands previous efforts. This is an all new album, with radiohead taking inspiration from all their previous efforts and mixing it up, at the same time making it more approachable. Just saying not as good as OK computer, doesnt work because the its as ridiculous as making a direct comparison between Kid A and OKC. If you wanna say Kid A is better, better in what way? There will always be a counter statement to an aspect which you say is better in one of those albums because they are two completely different albums with unique style,presentation and approach.

I have to admit In Rainbows is not as great as I wanted it to be, but its a good album, but its definitely not pop, chick music like coldplay. That is a completely baseless comparison. Does anyone in coldplay know anything other than straight beats and the absolute simplest song structures? Easy listening at best, but there are no details, no subtleties, no complications, hardly any effort put into making any new ground, stick to the same format, similar tunes.

Have a catchy chorus? lets just put a verse before and after that and we are done, that seems to be coldplays approach. There is absolutely no way radiohead can be put in the same category just because they have a couple of emotional slow numbers.

While this doesnt mean Coldplay is "bad", neither does it mean Radiohead is "better", the point is they arent even in the same page to be compared. Coldplay's approach might work for the easy listening, radio friendly music liking crowd,

Radiohead is different in that you need a totally different perspective on music and understanding the complexities to appreciate it more.

well all IMO anyway, I enjoy songs by both, I personally am a bigger fan of Radiohead, and like only a couple of songs by Coldplay, but I won't compare the two.

Jan 22, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #21 of 50
I actually like Coldplay's big singles from the first two albums.
tongue.gif
I certainly don't turn off the radio when they come on.

Of course they're not in the same category artistically as Radiohead, but for what they do (watery shimmery love ballads), I think they do it well.

Jan 22, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #22 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First off, I don't see the point in making direct comparisons to the bands previous efforts. This is an all new album, with radiohead taking inspiration from all their previous efforts and mixing it up, at the same time making it more approachable. Just saying not as good as OK computer, doesnt work because the its as ridiculous as making a direct comparison between Kid A and OKC. If you wanna say Kid A is better, better in what way? There will always be a counter statement to an aspect which you say is better in one of those albums because they are two completely different albums with unique style,presentation and approach.

I have to admit In Rainbows is not as great as I wanted it to be, but its a good album, but its definitely not pop, chick music like coldplay. That is a completely baseless comparison. Does anyone in coldplay know anything other than straight beats and the absolute simplest song structures? Easy listening at best, but there are no details, no subtleties, no complications, hardly any effort put into making any new ground, stick to the same format, similar tunes.

Have a catchy chorus? lets just put a verse before and after that and we are done, that seems to be coldplays approach. There is absolutely no way radiohead can be put in the same category just because they have a couple of emotional slow numbers.

While this doesnt mean Coldplay is "bad", neither does it mean Radiohead is "better", the point is they arent even in the same page to be compared. Coldplay's approach might work for the easy listening, radio friendly music liking crowd,

Radiohead is different in that you need a totally different perspective on music and understanding the complexities to appreciate it more.

well all IMO anyway, I enjoy songs by both, I personally am a bigger fan of Radiohead, and like only a couple of songs by Coldplay, but I won't compare the two.

well said...admitedely I haven't listened to much coldplay, just their hits every once in a while so I can't say much. But from what I've heard, radiohead is very different. Their voices might be somewhat similar, but the instruments and song structure is soo different. Coldplay is pop, radiohead rarely has the chorus repeated in their new album...nothing is very catchy...very different than coldplay

Jan 22, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #23 of 50
I could throw as many adjectives at Coldplay as I want - safe, repetitive (both in structure and the fact that they're making the same songs over and over again), complacent, cold, uninteresting, merely pleasent, etc. - but it'd hardly be of any use to you because you'd probably use the same ones to describe In Rainbows
tongue.gif

And yes, I have listened to Coldplay before. I have X&Y, and I've heard A Rush Of Blood to the Head multiple times. (I have a friend who worships them.)

Jan 22, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #25 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...but its a good album, but its definitely not pop, chick music like coldplay.

Got something against chicks? I'll just say for the record that that reasoning has nothing to do with my dislike for either band's music.

But I think I'm on Jonny Greenwood's side in the following debate:
:: The Playlist ::: Milkshake Drank: Jonny Greenwood's 'Blood' Score Deemed Ineligible For Oscar Nomination

...and more year-end stuff from Idolator.com—the last sentence in the 1st paragraph of the Williams mixtape takes a shot at you-know-who.

Idolator, All About the Music... If Only It Were

Idolator Pop 07: 2007 in the Mix, Part Three

Jan 22, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #26 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by jules650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like In Rainbows. I prefer it over *gasp* The Bends.

Blaphemy!
wink.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #29 of 50
Quote:

I could throw as many adjectives at Coldplay as I want - safe, repetitive (both in structure and the fact that they're making the same songs over and over again), complacent, cold, uninteresting, merely pleasent, etc. - but it'd hardly be of any use to you because you'd probably use the same ones to describe In Rainbows
tongue.gif

And yes, I have listened to Coldplay before. I have X&Y, and I've heard A Rush Of Blood to the Head multiple times. (I have a friend who worships them.)

Have you listened to Parachutes? Of course if you really don't find Coldplay very interesting there won't be much point, but even with all the hype over A Rush Of Blood To The Head I think Parachutes had a touch more variance.

As to if they are the new Coldplay, I'd say no. I thought the same thing of Keane when I first heard them, but as with Radiohead there is a difference that for me makes them both "as well as" rather than "replacements".

Jan 23, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #30 of 50
Quote:

tongue.gif

Well, certainly not all of the songs on In Rainbows are like that, and as I said in the beginning, some of it is very good and reminds me of why Radiohead is so well liked by most of us music lovers, and Coldplay has some very good songs too. I'm just a bit surprised that most of you don't feel the same lack of substance on some of the songs, but no big deal. We all hear differently. Kind of surprised at the low opinion of Coldplay as well, but I've never been a big fan. A Rush of Blood is a very good record, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back