Radiohead the new Coldplay?
Jan 22, 2008 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Davey

Headphoneus Supremus
Guess that would be a compliment for some bands, but most of you probably get the irony. Kind of like when Dylan got his groove (and audience) back and was playfully tagged the new Springsteen, or whoever else had also worn the "new Dylan" tag and moved beyond it (though I'm not sure Coldplay has aspired to move beyond it, more like a refinement I think).

Just got the CD release of In Rainbows a couple weeks ago (at $8 how can you resist, record companies should really take note, although I'm not one who normally complains about high CD cost since I tend to buy less expensive indie stuff and don't particularly mind the cheapass packaging, and I'm not really thinking of it as something I'll still be spinning 10 years from now - hmm, that's almost like a whole post-worthy subject just in the parenthesis
smily_headphones1.gif
), having not listened to the mp3 download at all except for a couple of the more popular songs that passed by my ears, and after a few listens it does seem kind of underwhelming on the whole. Based on so many best of the year lists and all of the fan hoopla, I guess my expectations were higher than they should have been, but this isn't the Radiohead that made us all such big fans. Pleasant music to be sure, but no sense of adventure until almost the end of the disc. I do like the openers, but nothing really new or exciting, and they still don't seem complete, or even show any real passion for rocking out, especially Bodysnatchers which is just a vamp, almost like a couple incomplete song fragments expanded with some connective guitar riffs. The obligatory rock tracks? Well, I won't go that far, but kind of a big letdown for a new Radiohead album as it moves into Nude (which I know is an old song that has been spiffed up for prime time, but still, doesn't work for me, they really needed an epic here, a "Lucky" to shore up the opening). The shifting dance rhythm on Weird Fishes/Arpeggi is a welcome diversion, especially when it starts building and swirling. I like that, but yikes, sounds just like Coldplay to me. I do love Reckoner, first song on the record I can say that about. Sounds like the real Radiohead is back. And Jigsaw Falling Into Place, followed by the beautiful closer is almost enough to salvage it for me. But man, a bit too little too late, talk about an under-achievement, some of this is just too nice, too bland, especially that crucial middle section of the CD that I think is not very good at all. Have a feeling that I might be in a small minority on this, though. So how's it feel for you a couple months or so down the road? Admittedly, I'm only on about the 4th listen so I'm sure the appreciation will become more with exposure, but are you really satisfied with this? All I Need? Even U2 has better filler than that lately!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 50
Well, it was my album of the year last year, for what it's worth (possibly not much). I find Coldplay pretty dull: good at the one ballad that they keep rewriting, but very little instrumental competence or imagination. Radiohead have created more an entertaining than a ground-breaking album, for sure, but I wouldn't be as dismissive of the material as you seem to be ... as with OK Computer, this album is a major grower.

Jan 22, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 50
I keep giving "In Rainbows" another chance, then another, and another, but I think it's time to face it. This ain't no real Radiohead album...

Jan 22, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 50
it took me about 10 listens and then something just went 'click.' three months later and i love it. seems to be a radiohead thing though, i didn't much like hail to the thief to begin with either. my advice is to give it a month before you give up on it. maybe it'll grow on you.

Jan 22, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... as with OK Computer, this album is a major grower.

Seriously? OK Computer was packed full of inventive, vibrant rock songs that drew me in immediately. I thought that appeal was nearly universal, hmmm. There's really nothing to do with OK Computer on here, doesn't seem to be even the same band except for a couple songs. But yea, I do like some of it, just curious what songs other people think are the ones that represent the Radiohead to them, the ones that are more than just entertaining.

Jan 22, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #6 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously? OK Computer was packed full of inventive, vibrant rock songs that drew me in immediately.

"Paranoid Android" drew me in immediately, then it semed to come to me song by song until suddenly I knew the entire album and liked it so much that I couldn't remember what "the good song" was. It happens that way sometimes with great albums, and it's happened that way with In Rainbows as well: at first there was one song I liked, then three, then four, then I kept thinking I'd hit one of my favourites only to realise that it was a song that I hadn't even liked when I first heard the album.

If it doesn't work out that way for OP, fair enough.

Jan 22, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 50
It's so funny, so many people complained that Kid A and Amnesiac were too "difficult", cold, and off-putting. Now this one is too "easy listening" and "song-based". Some bands just can't win.
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 50
I agree with many of the OP's points, but not the Coldplay comparison. Even an uneven Radiohead album is vastly superior to almost anything else out there. I like the record a lot.

Jan 22, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #9 of 50
The other thing is, you aren't the same you you were back in 1997 when OK Computer came out. Maybe it seemed more radical and you connected to it more emotionally because you were younger, hadn't heard as much, and Radiohead had spent less time being Radiohead. Now, we've heard more from the band, seen the height and width of what they can do. So, it seems "old hat" now.

Also, where do you go after Kid A / Amnesiac? Maybe if they made a hip-hop album, that would be "shocking" again.
confused.gif

Eventually, every artist/group maps out its territory, and continues to plow the field they've cleared. Then they just do what they do, and I think that's fine. You only really get one shot to startle or shock with something new. After a while, it's inevitably going to be "oh, it's you again."

Jan 22, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #10 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's so funny, so many people complained that Kid A and Amnesiac were too "difficult", cold, and off-putting. Now this one is too "easy listening" and "song-based". Some bands just can't win.
biggrin.gif

Huh? It was still the top album in most of the world for the last couple weeks. And one of the most critically acclaimed last year. I just find some of it bland. Certainly never found any Radiohead music all that difficult, just a little surprised that this one isn't a bit more interesting. And it seems they are winning big time, regardless of my opinion
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #11 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even an uneven Radiohead album is vastly superior to almost anything else out there.

Yea, I'd agree that's our big separation. Not vastly superior to many things I've heard in recent times, which is OK, but just kind of a let down. And I do like some of it a lot, like I said.

Jan 22, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #13 of 50
Quote:

The other thing is, you aren't the same you you were back in 1997 when OK Computer came out.

Well, not really. I'm probably one of the oldest guys around here, so 10 years ago I wasn't really that much younger in music years. OK Computer was a much better album, if that's your comparison, but it was hardly radical at the time, or in context. I grew up in the 60s and 70s. I'm just talking about whether music is interesting or not. Whether there is any passion behind it. Most of this fails on both counts. OK Computer had a detached, dark feel, it was exciting, there wasn't an emotional connection for me, I never worshipped Radiohead, but it was very good guitar-based rock music, a fitting follow-up to The Bends, at a time when most popular guitar bands were mostly very anemic. They were a band with a strong identity.

Jan 22, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #14 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can understand being underwhelmed, but the new Coldplay? That's harsh.

So say something to prove me wrong.

Jan 22, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #15 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can understand being underwhelmed, but the new Coldplay? That's harsh.

I agree. Way harsh!

Quote:

The other thing is, you aren't the same you you were back in 1997 when OK Computer came out. Maybe it seemed more radical and you connected to it more emotionally because you were younger, hadn't heard as much, and Radiohead had spent less time being Radiohead. Now, we've heard more from the band, seen the height and width of what they can do. So, it seems "old hat" now.

Also, where do you go after Kid A / Amnesiac? Maybe if they made a hip-hop album, that would be "shocking" again.
confused.gif

Eventually, every artist/group maps out its territory, and continues to plow the field they've cleared. Then they just do what they do, and I think that's fine. You only really get one shot to startle or shock with something new. After a while, it's inevitably going to be "oh, it's you again."

Great insight. I agree. I think many listened to Ok Computer and Kid A/Amnesiac and were blown away by this great new sound. Personally I prefer Kid A over OK Computer, though the latter moved them into a new direction, Kid A demonstrated them perfecting it. Still, as Mark commented on, once you do something like this, blow people away with something incredible, novel, inventive etc...how do you best it? Few get to do it once, let alone a second time. This is a nice easy listen. I prefer it to HTTT and I quite like Nude. A track I apparently had heard quite a few times on bootlegs but only really was introduced to it properly on my first listen to the album.

Coldplay...didn't like their first album, enjoyed a few tracks from their second, really enjoyed their third but inventive these guys are not. Radiohead in my opinion has more talent in one member's pinky than all of Coldplay's efforts forever and ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back