Radiohead - MFSL
Jan 5, 2010 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

non-entity

Head-Fier
Hey guys! First of all: sorry, I have to disappoint you, cause I have no information about new Radiohead MFSL releases.
redface.gif

I wanted to ask you wise guys something: do you think that there really will be Radiohead MFSL remasters? Recently I heard some rumors, but nothing really subtle - most of it were hopes, I guess. Since Beck's "Sea Change" was remastered I really hope that there will be Radiohead remasters, 'cause the same producer and the same mastering engineer worked on this album ... Could there be a bigger possibility because of this?

What do you think about this?
popcorn.gif

Jan 5, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 5
Hmm. Is Beck on EMI though? The release of the many "Deluxe Edition" Radiohead albums lately by EMI is clear evidence that they will exploit all the back-catalogue that they have the rights to, but I doubt they see MFSL rereleases as a massive money spinner for them. As it stands, I don't think the band have any control over what's done with their material prior to In Rainbows, so there certainly won't be anything instigated by them and Nigel.

Jan 5, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 5
You actually just wrote down what I was thinking, but I kinda didn't dare to write it ... Damn, if this is true, it's just too bad. You know, actually I don't really think that Radiohead albums are mastered bad, just a little bit too loud. I compared 'Sea Change' (which sounded really good on the first issue, mastered by Bob Ludwig) with the MFSL release, and I thought I enjoyed it better on the MFSL release. Maybe it's a psychological thing, I even think it is, but I think it sounds more pleasant and it's not so fatiguing to listen to the whole album.

Does anyone know if Nigel has some recording preferences? Once I heard that Radiohead only records on analogue tape, and thus remasters would be very interesting in my opinion. Then again, thanks to coloration and stuff, it could even change the feel to the remastered material ... Even after all these years I don't know what to think about remasters. Some are surprising good, others are just despicable. :/

Jan 5, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 5
I'm pretty sure they record to tape, you can hear it winding on at the start of These Are My Twisted Words.

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #5 of 5
I think there probably won't be any MFSL remasters, but the vinyls of the EMI albums already sound pretty nice compared to the CDs, which were mastered a little erratically. Nigel really does an amazing job of capturing the band on record.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back