Radiohead: help me discover a "quality" recording
Apr 28, 2004 at 11:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TonyTripleA

500+ Head-Fier
Well, Radiohead just visited Australia and got some rave reviews - despite the lead singer cancelling the last show last night due to "voice hoarseness that could lead to vocal cord damage".

Having read here some suggestions I went and bought "OK computer". Hey, I recognised a few songs as favourites already (paranoid android is one). I was toe tapping on my first listen.

But after listening for a while with speakers I switched to my etymotic 4P canalphones to get that special "ety detail". Well... yuk is the only way I can describe the clarity and detail I got. Very poor is how the recording sounded.

Don't get me wrong. Great music. But this album seems poorly mixed/recorded as far as using the etys goes.

Is there a Radiohead album you would recommend that delivers both their great music and quality sound? Or am I doomed to need a groovaliser to enjoy them?

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Apr 28, 2004 at 2:36 PM Post #3 of 12
I agree that there's something "wrong" with the sound of OK Computer, I'd blame bad mastering rather than bad recording. To me it sounds muddy and hashy, kind of bleached out in a way. If you listen to other Radiohead albums produced by Godrich (and other stuff he's worked on) they sound excellent.

If you are looking for recording quality, Hail to the Thief is one of the finest rock recordings I've ever heard. It sounds hi-rez not like a mere CD. Musically, Kid A/Amnesiac are where it's at for Radiohead. Great headphone fodder those two.

Apr 28, 2004 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 12
Come to think of it, there's something that bothers me about Pyramid Song, too. It has some sort of weird extra echo that I suspect belongs to the song, but almost gives it a muddiness to my ears. But I still thing it's great.

Apr 28, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 12
I agree with Markl. Hail to the Thief is one of the best recorded albums I've heard in a long time. A definite step up in sound quality as compared with Ok Computer and even Kid A/Kid B that will give your phones a good workout. Although they were recorded during the same sessions, I find Kid B (Amnesiac) a better recording than Kid A. There's just something missing from Kid A. Songs like 'Everything in its right place' and 'Idioteque' just don't groove like the live versions.

There is definitely something missing in the mastering of 'Ok Computer'. You'd expect it to sound orgasmic over a set of good phones/speakers given such fantastic songs, but you're left feeling a bit "let down and hanging around"
tongue.gif
dut to the thin and somewhat uninvolving sound.

If you haven't already, you have to see Radiohead live. Nothing compares...

Apr 28, 2004 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 12
gosh, of course its just my opinion here but i have to disagree with you guys on this one, i dont think ok computer sounds bad at all, but you guys are audiophiles and i am not so...... i don't know how to say amnesiac and kid a could possibly sound different but to each his own, like i said my opinion only, not discounting anyone else's. i just think theres a bit of over analyzing going on here, i hope i don't ever get this particular about the sound of cds

Apr 28, 2004 at 11:28 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyTripleA
despite the lead singer cancelling the last show last night due to "voice hoarseness that could lead to vocal cord damage".

Oh man would I be pissed. I saw them last October in West Palm Beach, FL and it was an amazing show. I agree that OK Computer doesn't really sound right when listened to analytically, and prefer it on loudspeakers (LOUD being the key word). Hail to the Thief is mostly a great recording except for the first song (2+2=5). That song has never sounded right to me in headphones, and I tried it with many combinations at a meet. Kid A is a little too seperated without crossfeed for my tastes, and makes my ears itch
confused.gif

Apr 29, 2004 at 11:30 AM Post #8 of 12
I was fortunate enough to be at the first and second Sydney shows and my god Radiohead were fantastic, they are such a great live band.
THeir sets mainly consisted of Amnesiac, Kid A and Hail To The Thief, with a few songs from OK Computer, but it was all great stuff.

Myxomatosis was my favourite song of the night, were powerful.

On the subject of recordings I find Kid A and HTTT to be the best through my headphones.

But my favourite Radiohead album has to be Pablo Honey.

Apr 29, 2004 at 12:08 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by silencer
But my favourite Radiohead album has to be Pablo Honey.

I wouldn't say that too loudly around here....

wink.gif

Apr 30, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #11 of 12
A ha! Another one who can't stand the sound of OK Computer. This cd doesn't give me headaches so much when I'm using a tube amp (the rolled off highs). Maybe that'll help.

About Pablo Honey:

This album is slagged off more than it deserves to be. It's a nice album, but it just suffers from the most dreadful track sequencing job I've ever seen. Thinking About You is one of my all time favorite Radiohead songs. Blow Out is another great song that needs to be heard.

May 1, 2004 at 1:59 AM Post #12 of 12
Well thanks folks. Now I'm ready to go and and get a few more CDs!!! It makes me feel much better to know its not just my ears that feel OK Computer could have been recorded "differently". And yep, on my mid quality speakers I still love it. But that's the trouble with etymotics... they make you analyse music.

That said some ancient music, like all the beatles albums, Cat Stevens, Dylan, especially Clapton Unplugged all sound FANTASTIC on the etys.

I gotta get some more forgiving cans...

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back