Radio sucks? Here's the transcript of "Virtual Radio" on Now with Bill Moyers
Apr 29, 2002 at 6:27 PM Post #16 of 21
You guys should come to the UK.

We have next to bugger all here but we do have the BBC. God bless her and all who sail in her
biggrin.gif

Seriously though. The BBC has some fantastic stations on air. BBC Radio 2 tends to cater for the more discerning listener and on there you can generally find something decent to listen to and the engineering quality cannot be faulted in any way.

BBC Radio 3 and 4 broadcast Classical Music and Operetta's and they are renowned the world over for having THE best engineering quality of radio andwhere, and I do mean anywhere!

However, it's not all good. Commercial radio is a crap here as anywhere else. Goes with the territory I suppose?

If you want good radio then get yourselves one of these and point it at the nearest quality radio station

g23-1.jpg

Sound as ever
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2002 at 6:36 PM Post #17 of 21

We have next to bugger all here but we do have the BBC. God bless her and all who sail in her
biggrin.gif

Seriously though. The BBC has some fantastic stations on air. BBC Radio 2 tends to cater for the more discerning listener and on there you can generally find something decent to listen to and the engineering quality cannot be faulted in any way.

BBC Radio 3 and 4 broadcast Classical Music and Operetta's and they are renowned the world over for having THE best engineering quality of radio andwhere, and I do mean anywhere!

However, it's not all good. Commercial radio is a crap here as anywhere else. Goes with the territory I suppose?

If you want good radio then get yourselves one of these and point it at the nearest quality radio station

g23-1.jpg

Sound as ever
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2002 at 10:23 PM Post #18 of 21
) Quote:

Originally posted by KeVlaR

We have next to bugger all

Sound as ever
smily_headphones1.gif

Never a truer word spoken!

In the south of england, theres a choice between a 24 hour dance station (I'm sure most of you know my feelings on THAT particular subject
wink.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
) or the ***** boy/girl bands that seem to dominate everywhere at the moment and thats pretty much IT!

Thank god for total rock on saturday evenings on sky otherwise I'd be lost...
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2002 at 9:35 PM Post #19 of 21
David,

What do you think of the programming and engineering aspects of BBC R2, 3 + 4?

I must agree that some of the presenters sound a tad boring at times but overall I believe that the output is very good. So much so that there is the possibly of being the best of it's type anywhere?

Just on an engineering standpoint I think the BBC deserves a round of applause for not letting the optimod compression get too out of hand.

As for Digital Radio. Any thoughts of spending mucho bucks on that nice TAG-McLaren unit have now been quelled by the ever diminishing bitrate/bandwidth that they have been allocated for use. It's getting like MP3 on there. You yanks would really have something to crow about if they adopted over there.

May 1, 2002 at 6:44 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by KeVlaR
David,

What do you think of the programming and engineering aspects of BBC R2, 3 + 4?

I must agree that some of the presenters sound a tad boring at times but overall I believe that the output is very good. So much so that there is the possibly of being the best of it's type anywhere?

Just on an engineering standpoint I think the BBC deserves a round of applause for not letting the optimod compression get too out of hand.

As for Digital Radio. Any thoughts of spending mucho bucks on that nice TAG-McLaren unit have now been quelled by the ever diminishing bitrate/bandwidth that they have been allocated for use. It's getting like MP3 on there. You yanks would really have something to crow about if they adopted over there.

To be fair I have never listend that much to 3+4 though the general opinion seems to be that its pretty good stuff if thats the thing your into!

I DID however enjoy the Bob Harris show on 2 on saturday evenings, only problem is to remember its on! Thanks to that I discovered Dar Williams which is a complete opposite to the type of stuff I normally listen to, just goes to show.

Engineering side? Yeah Radio 2 sounded pretty damned good on the £100 Yamaha that I used to have before flogging it because there was nothing else on and I needed the space it took up!

May 1, 2002 at 8:10 AM Post #21 of 21
Find me a radio station in Los Angeles that doesn't accept label payolas, and I'll show you a listener supported radio station.

The song 'Touch, Peel and Stand' was a hit EVERYWHERE else in the United States for a year before anyone in Los Angeles ever heard it. Why?

muh muh muh myyyy pay-ola! They didn't cough up, LA didn't play!

I listen exclusively to 89.3 KPCC because they are the only all-talk listener supported station in town. I prefer the all-talk format to the talk/music programming of KCRW. More and better information, IMO. Rarely, I'll tune in 97.1 the FM talk station at night for the John and Jeff show because they can truly be funny at times.

I don't bother with any music format stations. I find myself scanning through the stations 4 or 5 times before I realize I'm not going to find anything worth listening to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back