radio shack product:cd repair kit called "cd doctor".
Oct 19, 2004 at 6:28 AM Post #2 of 6
You mean Disc Doctor? I tried to use a returned one that was claimed to destroy discs put into it to destroy a CD-R of mine and had no luck. It still played fine. As for scratch repair I can't say
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2004 at 6:42 AM Post #3 of 6
it's basically a slow hand cranked wet sander for cds. It works, basically but I don't know if you can expect a miracle if the scratch is deep. You can only take off so much plastic.

Oct 20, 2004 at 5:57 AM Post #4 of 6
i own one and have used it to bring CDs back from the dead.

it will only work if the scratches are on the cd side (a scratch in the label is unfixable)

air bubbles in the label have killed more of my CDRs than anything else.

f

Apr 11, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #5 of 6
I have tried them both - CD Doctor and DVD Medic from Radio Shack. Excellent results and no complaints. I bought another repair kit as a gift called Merlin's Disc (or DVD Magic or something) - no RS around so I went to Futureshop. It's about the same price and it also worked well. Be careful though, I scratched the center part around the hole of a game and it wouldn't register in my PS2. Anyway I found it and fixed it. These kits are all about the same price, 6 or 7 bucks. Hope that helps. What ever you get make sure it fixes more than minor scratches. I got sucked into some lame repair in the past.

James

Apr 18, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 6
headphonegeek

You might want to try a plastic refinisher or polish to rejuvenate your CDs. Back in the mid-80s when CDs were still fairly new, a lot of guys I worked with failed to protect the playing surface of their new discs and would just throw them on top of the cabinet when they were done listening (remember, we were told they would last forever). The gritty dirt scratched the heck out of the playing surface and caused them to skip.

I sprayed a product called Glazit, or possibly Glayzit (it's been so long that I can't remember the name) Telephone Refinisher on their discs to hide the scratches. It was a spray on product that filled in fine scratches and was lightly buffed off. It worked well enough to eliminate all but the heaviest scratches. We were able to play and record almost all of the discs after that.

Since telephones aren't repaired and reused the way they once were, I don't know if the product is even available anymore. Try a good quality plastic polish or light wax on the playing surface, hopefully something without abrasives or solvents in it. Experiment on a junk disc first. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back