Radio Shack 3-12V 800mA AC-DC adapter
Jan 5, 2002 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Audio-Me

Headphoneus Supremus
I currently use 4.5V 250mA adapter for my Panasonic SL S261C (takes two AA batteries). Would it hurt to use a more powerful adapter??? (800mA) I'm wondering if it will increase the sound output more (awesome already, but can always get better can't it? Hehe.)

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=273%2D1667

I could also use this for the Sony D-25S (how convenient)
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2002 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 15
Quick lesson...

"powerful" refers to the quantity described in "watts" whereas "mA', or "milliamps" refers to current.

Anyways,
That transformer draws 800mA, the pcdp only uses as much as it needs. The voltage must be 4.5V (well probalby not "must" but that is what is recommended, higher will fry the pcdp, lower will make it perform poorly)...

It will work, though the quality of transformation versus your current wall wart could be in question. Your output volume (is this what you are asking?) *may* (I'm not sure) increase if you increase the voltage, but that *may* fry some electronics.

Jan 5, 2002 at 3:37 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
I currently use 4.5V 250mA adapter for my Panasonic SL S261C (takes two AA batteries).

Well, don't continue to use that adapter! 250mA is nowhere near enough current capacity to power any PCDPs!

*checks the current capacity of his Panasonic PCDP stock adapter*

My Panasonic SL-CT470 (which, BTW, uses the SAME standard AC adapter as the SL-CT580 I used to own - and the 580 is broken) comes with a 4.5V 0.6A (0.6A = 600mA) adapter. NEVER use an AC adapter rated to deliver any less than 600mA!! Or else you'll burn out the AC adapter and/or your PCDP - the overly low-current adapter will heat up to dangerously high temperatures, which at best will shorten the useful lifespan of both the adapter and the PCDP, and at worst will destroy both of them!! And when the latter happens, you'll have a BIG mess to clean up!!!!!
mad.gif

Jan 5, 2002 at 4:28 AM Post #4 of 15
Eagle is right! Immediately STOP using that power supply...

I have the particular RS supply you are aking about and it is pretty good. You can use it for the Pana or d-25 (what i have) or whatever... well 3-12 V electronic devices.
DO NOT try to 'get more volume' by increasing the Voltage of the suppy either-this WILL eventaully or in an instant puff o' smoke blow something out...
eek.gif

Since you have been using 250mA the sound will probably get much better with the 800mA RS supply. (due to the fact that at that low current (250mA) you are robbing you phones output because the motor usually takes preference in most cdp designs)

BTW, the RS supply is fairly BIG ... so be prepared for it

Jan 5, 2002 at 4:38 AM Post #5 of 15
***correction 5.5V DC adapter, but the player is rated for 4.5V. Hehe, no wonder it sounds so much louder than with batteries. Am I shortening the life of my pcdp or will I be ok? (I'll be getting the 800mA universal adapter, and will keep using 5.5 if it doesn't hurt it, it seems fine to me anyway, no distortions or any other problem.)

chych - So the extra 200mA that isn't being used won't hurt the pcdp (such as overheating)? What I meant by more power is just more impact (drivers moving air with more intensity).

Eagle_Driver - might I remind you that my pcdp is old and runs off 2 AA 1.2V NiMH rechargeable batteries, the 250mA adapter powers them fine (adapter doesn't even get warm), I could use some extra current though.

drob - the adapter I am currently using (using them right now actually), is from my Aiwa XP-V713. Been using it for a year without problems or loss in sound quality. (maybe cause of the low current? maybe bad idea to try 5.5V 800mA? What if this player only uses 250mA?)
BTW, I don't mind lugging a large adapter, as I carry all my portable equip in a hiking bag.

Jan 5, 2002 at 5:01 AM Post #6 of 15
Audio- are you using the adapter to just 'charge' the batteries then? or are you using the adapter without the batteries?
If your only using the adapter to "top off" the batteries and you are running mostly on batteries then you *could * be ok (batteries have A LOT more current than one might think...
BUT, having said that using a lower current rated PS is never a good idea IMO. -it stresses components more- and I try to keep my stuff in good shape (I have a cdp from 1986 that still is kicking)

Anyhow back on topic, I would still get the RS supply, and if your running on batteries exclusively, you probably won't hear any difference-but your cdp WILL probably last longer!
biggrin.gif

GOOD LUCK and if you go to ratshack- BE CAREFULL or you might come out with a PCS phone, an RCA dish, plus switching your long distance to sprint... all offers they tried on me last time i was in there
wink.gif

Jan 5, 2002 at 5:21 AM Post #7 of 15
Audio&me

I'm sure the electronics in the pcdp can go above 4.5V safely, but I'd keep it at 4.5V just to be sure it will live tomorrow.

The extra 200mA or so will do nothing. That is simply how much the power supply draws; the pcdp will only draw as much as it needs. It is good to have more current in case the pcdp happens to peak at higher current levels (I don't think it draws at a constant rate).

Power is... really, basically voltage * current (or other variations), measured in "watts". Not much more I can tell you about that. I see that you really want more *volume* as what you say comes off as... what you need, my friend, is an amplifier
smily_headphones1.gif
(which I see you have one... or you can live on the edge running 6V into your pcdp)

The better power supply, however, should increase sound quality as it will provide cleaner power to the pcdp. It may increase volume as well considering that the pcdp has been choked with low current.

Jan 5, 2002 at 5:21 AM Post #8 of 15
Audio- I didn't see your last reply so I'll put this a basic as I can
and sorry for the two posts in a row to ALL.

If your cdp is rated at 4.5V you *SHOULD* use the 4.5V setting
on the RS or other power supply.
You probably lucked out with using the 5.5V supply with the low
(250 mA) current due to the fact that the extra volt was making
up for the low current (ohms law stuff...)
So 'I' would use the RS supply at the 4.5V setting (hint, hint...)
and not try to push it. The higher voltage settings might
make you cdp sound louder but as you go higher distortion will
occur in the amp section and if you push it even further (voltage)the amp will finally blow internally. (plus other components too)

The EXTRA current in the RS adapter will help to properly power
your player...MAYBE at the same sound level as your 5.5V one
and will DEFINATELY be better for your player's health.

have a good one.

Jan 5, 2002 at 5:24 AM Post #9 of 15
I've been using a RS "Regulated" and filtered 1500 mA Universal AC adapter for some time now on my pcd. I replaced the 4.5 VDC 500 mA adapter which came with the portable once almost by accident one evening.

The difference was quite significant with my setups (TA & HD580's and Corda & HD600's) ... opened up the frequency spectrum noticeably. In particular it smoothed out the high frequency ( not rolled off as actually seemed to extend it and smoothed them out as well). Better defined more solid bass and better mids also. Great improvement overall ... it really was a surprise!

I noticed quite a few people on this forum using portable CD players at home and I'd definite recommend they try this upgrade. For a reasonable cost you might be surprized at the improvement. Some of those comments on the forum re harsh highs may not be the headphones, amp or CD ;^).

I believe it is important that the adapter be regulated as this will give as much current as required by the music at the optimum voltage of the circuitry. Also don't use the switching type adapters commonly used in computer gear because of the noise generated.

Happy listening ... Gord.

Jan 5, 2002 at 5:30 AM Post #10 of 15
I use a separate charger, but I do leave the batteries in when I'm using the adapter (why take them out? lol)
Since I haven't had any problems, I am guessing that this player only requires 250mA or even less! (yet huge sound, wonder if anyone else here has ever heard this excellent pcdp)

Here's a tip drob for next time YOU go to Cheeseville Electronica Unlimited ((ShackofRadioz)) :
When you go to the counter, before the salesman even tweeps, say this line: "Don't give me any of that standard procedure ********, just take the money, keep your mouth shut and move onto the next customer. Otherwise, I will never come back here ever again and will spread terrible feedback. Unless you hate your job, this would be a terrible thing, as your manager would be enraged that you cost him their best customer. Oh and if you ever see me again, which you most likely will, don't make me repeat myself. Understood? Uh uh, I said don't yap! Just Nod. Good. See ya later kid."
biggrin.gif

Then walk away with some finesse with a giant smirk on your face. ::chuckles::

chych - but I'm not looking for more volume! Lol, it's already too loud. I mean't more impact, as in more intense (tighter) bass for when I listen to lower than normal listening volumes so I can get faster response to keep me awake (I listen to really mellow stuff, hehe). I don't need more bass (already has a little too much) or more total SOUND info coming through, I'm looking for more defined low range so the small amount of excess bass can be smoothed out.

Gord SW Ont - what good is 1500mA if the portable only uses 600mA? Seems like a waste of money. Or perhaps the adapter outputs "cleaner" power?

Jan 5, 2002 at 5:43 AM Post #11 of 15
Audio-
You rock...
biggrin.gif

I'm tring to be less 'aggressive' this year, if I tried your solution
(which would no doubtly WORK, and it should!) I have. visions
of having to deal with the rent 'o cops at the mall... LOL

As to your pcdp running off 250mA... WOW...
I tried a 300mA universal with a old cdp at work and it would not
even spin up... it needed more inital current to start up the motor
at rest -

I'm still laughing at your reply to the RS guys... and I 'almost'
feely sorry for the ones at the store you going to tomarrow...

HAVE FUN !

Jan 5, 2002 at 5:50 AM Post #12 of 15
"Gord SW Ont - what good is 1500mA if the portable only uses 600mA? Seems like a waste of money. Or perhaps the adapter outputs "cleaner" power?"

I think you're right about the cleaner power but also who knows what instantaneous peak power is required at a particular volume for a particularly demanding piece of music??? I didn't buy the supply because it was rated at 1500 mA but more because it was regulated. At any rate it "really" made a difference in my case.

BTW it is better to remove the batteries if you're on an adapter for any length of time ... I've seen batteries burst before and it's not a pretty sight 8^(.

Jan 5, 2002 at 5:51 AM Post #13 of 15
LMAO. I'm not actually that mean, but I do use intimidation to good use, for personal gains anyway, hehe. =P

I didn't expect low current to be such a shock, I guess I got lucky and picked out a beautiful red rose in a marijuana field.
smily_headphones1.gif

Gord SW Ont - the 800mA version is also Regulated (filtered power output). Like I said, I've never had any oddball mud puddles like explosive batteries, not even puss leakage.
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe you guys are just getting unlucky experiences???
confused.gif

Jan 5, 2002 at 6:12 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

chych - but I'm not looking for more volume! Lol, it's already too loud. I mean't more impact, as in more intense (tighter) bass for when I listen to lower than normal listening volumes so I can get faster response to keep me awake (I listen to really mellow stuff, hehe). I don't need more bass (already has a little too much) or more total SOUND info coming through, I'm looking for more defined low range so the small amount of excess bass can be smoothed out.

Ahhh I see, so what you want are Grados!

Or you can introduce yourself to the world of Equalization
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2002 at 6:20 AM Post #15 of 15
Hehe, I don't like any of the Grado series, I don't like the engulfed sound. It is warmer than the Sennheisers though.

EQ - not for me =\

I have no problems in my home system, so there is no need for EQ, it's when I'm lugging the little stuff around, I need to turn volume down. It could be the laid back nature of the Sennheisers that are making the bass sound rolled into the next beat (slow, not as tight). But this is something so completely minor, it doesn't even matter, still sounds great. I'm just exploring ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back