Radio-only
Oct 29, 2001 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

JML

Headphoneus Supremus
I was looking for a portable source, radio-only, and checked out the highly-touted Sangean DT-110. Then I found something I think is better: Aiwa CR-LD101. Smaller, seems to have much greater indoor sensitivity, has 45 presets, automatic scanning, bass/loundness boost, clock, uses 1 AAA battery, and nicer looking. It's the size of a lighter, and silver-toned, with a belt-clip. The sound is far, far better than I expected, and better than the Sangean I tried at RadioShack. I've used it for headphones and with my computer desktop speakers (Monsoons). It's about $20 more than the Sangean, but worth it. If you want something like this, it is definitely worth a try.

Oct 29, 2001 at 12:20 AM Post #2 of 21
Anyone know if this has a lineout? It would be perfect to add to my headroom airbag so I could listen to the radio if I ever wanted to...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2001 at 1:55 AM Post #3 of 21
The only line-out is a standard stereo mini phone plug. But isn't that easy enough?

Oct 29, 2001 at 3:52 PM Post #6 of 21
Radio Shack usually rebrands Sangean products and sells them for much less. Got a top of the line shortwave radio from Radioshack (a sangean rebrand) for $70!

Oct 29, 2001 at 4:58 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Radio Shack usually rebrands Sangean products and sells them for much less.

Not necessarily. The Sangean DT110 is actually more expensive at Radio Shack than it is elsewhere
frown.gif

Oct 29, 2001 at 5:39 PM Post #8 of 21
I just got a CR-LD101 a few days ago and I agree with JML. I don't know how it compares with the Sangean but it has probably the best reception I've seen in a portable with a digital tuner and even the AM tuner is better than I expected. Also it has 8mw + 8mw output. The sound is good for a portable unit but still a little on the harsh side, but there is very little of the digital tuner background noise that plagues most portables.

Also, if anyone who is looking for a CD, MD, MP3 or cassette with a tuner, I think your much better off getting this radio and one of those devices without a radio. It's very small and performs much better than what manufactures ussually add on to them. And the top of the line units, never have tuners.

Oct 30, 2001 at 2:27 PM Post #9 of 21
I've had the Aiwa CR-LD100 for over a year, maybe two, purchased from Sharper Image for about 70 bux. It sounds great for a ultra small digital AM/FM with a clock, auto off timer, tons of presets, etc. I also recently picked up the TRS rebrand of the Sangean DT110, 12-804 which was on sale for about 30 bux. I find the sensitivity of the DT110 slightly better, the midrange slightly better with all the various earbuds I have.

The Aiwa has lower hiss at low listening levels than the Sangean and also slightly more prominent bass.

Although both are very enjoyable to listen to, I find the DT110 slightly more musical overall.

FWIW, the LD100 looks identical to the LD101.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2001 at 11:43 AM Post #10 of 21
Hello from Bangkok! I brought along my SRF-49, and bought a CR-LD100 today because sometimes I prefer not using analog tuning. Lame reason I know...

First impression so it may not be all solid, etc, bear the usual disclaimer stuff in mind.
biggrin.gif

The main radio station I listen to in Bangkok is somewhat weaker in signal. Weak as in, you probably won't have a problem with any car radio, but with portables it's a bitch. This station often goes "out" where other stations' signals still thrive, and interference from unknown sources isn't unusual.

It seems to me that where the SRF-49 doesn't pick up interference, the LD100 does. On the road side I got a minor wave-like noise with the LD100, while it sounded prefectly-tuned on the SRF-49.

There's also an area where signal seems to be weaker all around for all stations. Here the LD100 apparently does a better job.

Having said all of these, I quite like the LD100. Its interface is lovely compared to a similarly sized Sony I owned before (SRF-M90 I think, the one that comes in a tan leather look). The volume control, while still stiff, is much more evenly spaced out than the M90's.

I do find the SRF-49 more musical than the LD100, but the LD100 is again more pleasant than the M90. I prefer not using DSL myself.

Jan 29, 2002 at 8:26 PM Post #11 of 21
Hi!

I'm new here, and my first post is digging an old topic up... but I wanted to make a comment about the quality of the Aiwa CR-LD100, the predecessor to the CR-LD101.

A few months ago, I had this tiny radio in my bag with a Coke soda can when the can exploded!
eek.gif
Yah literally had to pour Coca-Cola out of my knapsack in the middle of New York City subway car. I got some weird looks.
frown.gif

Needless to say, the radio wasn't working when I tried it back in the office. Bummer. But, I didn't want to just throw it away. Took out the battery, walked over to the sink, and flushed the whole thing in warm/hot water for a good few minutes and then shook it out. "Hah, there's no way in hell this is going to work anymore."

There was condensation inside the LCD display and everything. I parked it under the heat of my Halogen desk lamp for the day. When I picked it up to go home...it was working perfectly once more! No water or condensation anywhere either.

Dang, this little Aiwa radio is bulletproof, and waterproof too.
wink.gif
Highly recommended!

/mel
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2002 at 9:31 PM Post #12 of 21
leon, I have to agree with you on the Sony SRF-49. While I haven't tried the Aiwa, I bought both the SRF-49 and the Sangean 110, and while the Sangean had a nice digital interface and presets, the SRF-49 got clearer reception (especially on local stations where interference is problematic) and sounded better.

Jan 29, 2002 at 10:03 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by leon
I brought along my SRF-49, and bought a CR-LD100 today because sometimes I prefer not using analog tuning. Lame reason I know...

I much prefer analog tuning, period. I too have an Aiwa CR-LD100 and a couple of other small radios w/digital tuning. IMO, they're just a hassle to use. You have to scan and preset.....then if you go to another town, you do it all again.

I recently purchased a Grundig Mini World 100 PE. Best little radio I've ever had (I grew up in the transistor radio's golden age) and I've had many. This thing is small, inexpensive, (about $30) and works like a charm.
safetycentral_1665_78387614

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/campmor/69201.html

If it don't have a knob, it ain't a radio!

wink.gif

Jan 29, 2002 at 11:24 PM Post #14 of 21
The title of my post says it all. All of my analog tuners in portable electronics are so poorly designed that I could never get the radio station that I wanted to listen to tuned in properly - the tuning knobs change way too many frequencies in just a short turn, and are extremely stiff to operate!
mad.gif
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back