Racking a Server in a Window Sill?
Aug 17, 2008 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

patman657

100+ Head-Fier
This is a pretty ridiculous idea, but if I could pull it off, it would be awesome. I just picked up a Dell PowerEdge 2650 from work and want to use it as a web and file server. Unfortunately, it is very loud and I don't really want to try rigging a bunch of quiet fans to it.

I thought it would be cool if I could rack the server in my window sill similarly to how one would install an air conditioner. I live in the basement, so I'm not worried about it falling on someone. My window also faces a closed courtyard, so I'm not really worried about theft. The only thing that is a real deal-breaker is rain. I would have to find a way to water-proof this thing while still allowing decent airflow.

If anyone has an idea as to how to go about this, please share. I'm not too worried about the server dying anyway, so no biggie if it ends up dead in a rain storm.

Aug 17, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 4
If you can figure out the mounting way (you may be able to get an AC mounting kit) see if you can find a window well plastic shield and somehow mount that above it and kind of around it as a sheild from the rain)

- = server
_
-\ so it comes around it, but hot air can go ou thte botom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back