Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Aug 15, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #2,536 of 7,931
I have the premium black dragon. I have not specifically spent time a/b ing with the stock cable, but I don’t hear any big differences, but I do think the treble is a little less hit with the moon cable. FWIW, I am not a big cable sound discerner. The moon cable sounds good for me.

What length? I have a 10' of the same grade, and it is my understanding that 5' may be more optimal with taking into account resistance of connectors and solder joints; techy stuff above my pay grade, LOL!

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #2,537 of 7,931
10 ft. Yes, I did read that 10ft may be above the optimum resistance. like I said, I am not a big cable guy. Maybe beat to ask Drew directly at Moon audio. This is what Torq wrote about the black dragon cable at https://forum.headphones.com/t/raal...eadphone-speaker-amp-official-thread/6029/116

“The wire they are using, without accounting for the resistance of the solder-joints or the connectors, yields a 0.146 ohm cable at 5 feet long. So assuming perfect joints, that’ll come in around. 0.2 ohms when all is said and done and should meet spec for an SR1a cable.

The 10 feet cable will be at 0.292 ohms (again, just the wire), and that will result in an audible increase in treble level - longer cables even more so.”

Doesn’t strike me as a designed-for-purpose cable. Just their normal build/configuration but with an SR1a pin-out on either end.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #2,538 of 7,931
I'd like to try these on my pass labs X350.8.

Aug 15, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #2,539 of 7,931
10 ft. Yes, I did read that 10ft may be above the optimum resistance. like I said, I am not a big cable guy. Maybe beat to ask Drew directly at Moon audio. This is what Torq wrote about the black dragon cable at https://forum.headphones.com/t/raal...eadphone-speaker-amp-official-thread/6029/116

Yep, I follow Torq everywhere, LOL, until he sets out to sea.

Here's a response I got from Moon on length of 10"

10ft is not going to be an issue the Black Dragon is a low resistance UPOCC copper cable. The Schiit has plenty of power so it is not an issue. A speaker amp is even more glorious with this headphone:)

Thanks so much for your patience.

Moon Audio Support Team

I like the Dragon line HP cables, have the Silver for my Abbys Phi, Silver and Black for Utopia (I'll re-purpose as needed) and Blacks for my HD800 and HD800S.

Aug 16, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #2,540 of 7,931
One of the highlights of the SR1a is how it renders baroque keyboard music played on piano, e.g. Scarlatti or Bach.

This exceptional Goldberg Variations performance of Maestro Schiff recorded live by ECM is rithmically, tonally, emotionally overwhelming.

The SR1a produce a very pure, tactile, elastic, buoyant, harmonically rich sound which suits especially well to the mood and intentions of how a Bach piece should be played (IMHO, of course) on a modern piano.
Take a listen to Vikingur Olaffson's CD with the title Johann Sebastian Bach. Through your SR1a, of course.

Aug 19, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #2,541 of 7,931
To go back to the Jot R's temperatures, I experienced the shut off three times before figuring out the problem: not even ventilation. I have a desk with a hutch/bar over part of it and had some gear stacked up under that. The Jot R was about the same size so I figured I'd put it on top of that stack. There was still 2-3 inches of spaces above it so I figured that would be fine. This hutch is maybe 8" wide total so it's not huge AND it's open on all sides except the top and bottom.

The Jot R felt like it was close to melting and after maybe 30-45 minutes of that, it would just cut off sound. I'd have to power down, wait a few minutes, power back up, and then it'd work again for a little while longer before shutting off again.

Turns out, that's a safety measure.

I've since moved it to the top of the hutch with nothing else around it it and the ceiling fan blowing directly on it. Now it barely gets warm and I haven't had a shut off since.

Make sure the Jot R can breathe!

Aug 19, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #2,542 of 7,931
To go back to the Jot R's temperatures, I experienced the shut off three times before figuring out the problem: not even ventilation. I have a desk with a hutch/bar over part of it and had some gear stacked up under that. The Jot R was about the same size so I figured I'd put it on top of that stack. There was still 2-3 inches of spaces above it so I figured that would be fine. This hutch is maybe 8" wide total so it's not huge AND it's open on all sides except the top and bottom.

The Jot R felt like it was close to melting and after maybe 30-45 minutes of that, it would just cut off sound. I'd have to power down, wait a few minutes, power back up, and then it'd work again for a little while longer before shutting off again.

Turns out, that's a safety measure.

I've since moved it to the top of the hutch with nothing else around it it and the ceiling fan blowing directly on it. Now it barely gets warm and I haven't had a shut off since.

Make sure the Jot R can breathe!
The one I had shut down three times in close proximty to each other. It had plenty of ventilation around it's casing and wasn't close to either a heat source or sunlight.

TBH I think there is a design issue with the JR likewise with the SR1a and the Conversion box they come with as that got quite hot too along with my very hot Chord Mezzo 140 Speaker Amp which has never been this hot before even driving big speakers at quite loud volumes !

Aug 19, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #2,543 of 7,931
My Jot R runs barely warm. I listen at around 11:30-12 on the volume pot. Sounds like something is wrong with the units experiencing shutdowns.

Aug 19, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #2,544 of 7,931
same here, my unit runs barely warm and I basically leave it on 24/7 unless I am using my others amp and then I shut down the Jotr...

Aug 21, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #2,547 of 7,931
Aug 21, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #2,548 of 7,931
Try headphone auditions in Amsterdam. Stefan is a very nice guy and very helpful. If he has them in stock you can get them within a few days via UPS. Their website is;

https://www.headphoneauditions.nl/product/sr1a-ribbon-earfield-monitors/
If you bought them direct from Raal in the USA and you live in the UK you will need to pay 20% VAT for the cost of the headphones plus delivery cost and an additional % on customs duty. If you buy direct from Headphone Auditions you don't pay anything extra.

Aug 21, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #2,550 of 7,931
Thanks for that. Overall it is pretty annoying that we Europeans have to pay 20% extra purchasing headphones designed and manufactured in Serbia(am I right on this one?) :)
Your most welcome.

I don't think Sebia are in the EU even though they applied to the EU for membership some time ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back