RAAL-requisite SR1a Clipping Issues
Apr 7, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #31 of 32
Hi everyone, just saw this thread, by chance.

@doyouknowSBmean You were always more than welcome to tell us about the issue!
Maybe it's the bad JotR, which we would change you, maybe it's the dynamic range that will push every JotR into clipping, whatever, but we would gladly help.

I've listened to your videos and this is clearly not bass-related over-excursion of the ribbons, but pure amp clipping, unrelated to what ribbons can or can't do.
Not every clipping is the same. Sometimes its about output, sometimes input, sometimes TIM and feedback recovery, and I don't know what kind of clipping this really is, but I know it's not mechanical, related to the ribbon.
Anyway, the JotR is very sensitive to cable inductance that will bring it into problems. therefore, I designed a cable for it, called DeLuxe, that has a bit higher resistance and just about low enough inductance to keep it out of transient recovery problems. So, it was even possible to solve that problem with another headphone cable.
But, we're not offering JotR's any more, or cables related to it. There are new developments now that will change things forever about driving our ribbon headphones.

Sorry again about your trouble and I hope that won't turn you away from us in the future.

Cheers,

Alex

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Apr 7, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #32 of 32
Hi everyone, just saw this thread, by chance.

@doyouknowSBmean You were always more than welcome to tell us about the issue!
Maybe it's the bad JotR, which we would change you, maybe it's the dynamic range that will push every JotR into clipping, whatever, but we would gladly help.

I've listened to your videos and this is clearly not bass-related over-excursion of the ribbons, but pure amp clipping, unrelated to what ribbons can or can't do.
Not every clipping is the same. Sometimes its about output, sometimes input, sometimes TIM and feedback recovery, and I don't know what kind of clipping this really is, but I know it's not mechanical, related to the ribbon.
Anyway, the JotR is very sensitive to cable inductance that will bring it into problems. therefore, I designed a cable for it, called DeLuxe, that has a bit higher resistance and just about low enough inductance to keep it out of transient recovery problems. So, it was even possible to solve that problem with another headphone cable.
But, we're not offering JotR's any more, or cables related to it. There are new developments now that will change things forever about driving our ribbon headphones.

Sorry again about your trouble and I hope that won't turn you away from us in the future.

Cheers,

Alex
Hey Alex,

Thanks for the informative reply. I don't have the SR1A at this moment but like I mentioned in the thread I really like the sound. I bought the SR1A plural number of times. I even borrowed a HSA-1B to test if it's still clipping.

I am looking forward to the new developments!

Van

Users who are viewing this thread

Back