RAAL-requisite CA-1a - Mini Review
Nov 21, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #78 of 90
How big are we talking here?
My parents flew home already and I won't ask my dad to measure his head, BUT I think the issue was more about the height of his head than the width. The ear cups just didn't quite go down far enough for him, and they sort of angled outwards at the bottom of the cups away from his head. AKG K240s (his daily driver) fit him comfortably, though.

Nov 21, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #79 of 90
My parents flew home already and I won't ask my dad to measure his head, BUT I think the issue was more about the height of his head than the width. The ear cups just didn't quite go down far enough for him, and they sort of angled outwards at the bottom of the cups away from his head. AKG K240s (his daily driver) fit him comfortably, though.
I’ve got a fat head and I’m only on the 2nd strap holes is why I asked. I missed that it was your dad it didn’t fit too, my apologies or I wouldn’t have asked, I thought you said your experience. “Relaying”, I don’t English well I guess :)

Nov 21, 2022 at 11:08 PM Post #80 of 90
I’ve got a fat head and I’m only on the 2nd strap holes is why I asked. I missed that it was your dad it didn’t fit too, my apologies or I wouldn’t have asked, I thought you said your experience. “Relaying”, I don’t English well I guess :)
Hah no problem at all, I was there trying to help him get the right fitment, which is why I said "relaying". I had a fun time showing off my headphones collection, and he had a fun time listening!

Nov 21, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #81 of 90
I'm guessing that even though they are stupidly priced (in the good way) their specific amping requirement is suppressing the market for these. Even though the Ti-1a/b introduces the use of headphone amplifiers I still think many of the really top notch headphone amps aren't powerful enough. The Jot R is just too relentless for long term listening and there's no other affordable direct drive amp yet.

These will have their day, it's way too good of a headphone not to. It just may require more companies jumping in with direct drive amps at numerous price points.

Nov 21, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #82 of 90
I'm guessing that even though they are stupidly priced (in the good way) their specific amping requirement is suppressing the market for these. Even though the Ti-1a/b introduces the use of headphone amplifiers I still think many of the really top notch headphone amps aren't powerful enough. The Jot R is just too relentless for long term listening and there's no other affordable direct drive amp yet.

These will have their day, it's way too good of a headphone not to. It just may require more companies jumping in with direct drive amps at numerous price points.
True. Although I wonder if the Drop THX AAA 789 is probably the most accessible amp for it now. If I didn't already have one, I probably wouldn't have purchased the CA-1a.

At the moment I'm running a Feliks tube amp output to the THX 789, and it sounds really damn good. But I'm still in the highest gain setting on the 789.

Nov 29, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #83 of 90

How about a Ragnarok 1. Used they seem to be $600-725. 30 wpc into 16 ohms and 15 into 32 ohms. That ought to do it. Plus you get to drive speakers too.

Nov 30, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #84 of 90
I'm guessing that even though they are stupidly priced (in the good way) their specific amping requirement is suppressing the market for these.

I run my CA-s using Fiio K9 Pro, set to "hi gain", and about 11'oClock on the Volume knob is good to go.
There is plenty of power on tap..using this Dac/amp....more then enough.
Beautiful full rich sound out of the Ribbons.
I use a Ferrum Erco also, but, i prefer the way the FiiO and the Caldera sound.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #85 of 90
How about a Ragnarok 1. Used they seem to be $600-725. 30 wpc into 16 ohms and 15 into 32 ohms. That ought to do it. Plus you get to drive speakers too.
Sorry for resurrecting this thread but I'm on my third day of owning the CA-1a and my first impressions are that these are outstandingly good headphones. I'm using the TI-1a and am driving them out of my Ragnarok 1.5, which is essentially the same as the 1 when it comes to the amp's sound qualities. I'm sure there are better amp pairings but for the $700 I paid for the amp, the sound is glorious.

Feb 12, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #86 of 90
Sorry for resurrecting this thread but I'm on my third day of owning the CA-1a and my first impressions are that these are outstandingly good headphones. I'm using the TI-1a and am driving them out of my Ragnarok 1.5, which is essentially the same as the 1 when it comes to the amp's sound qualities. I'm sure there are better amp pairings but for the $700 I paid for the amp, the sound is glorious.
Why sorry? It's a current product (the Rall). I want to read more about it!

Feb 12, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #87 of 90
Why sorry? It's a current product (the Rall). I want to read more about it!
I figured the conversation had moved over to the other CA-1a thread. I'd be happy to post proper impressions once I've had enough time to get a good sense for these headphones, and have compared them with others (I've got the SR1a, Abyss 1266 Phi with CC pads, and more here at the moment). I'll just say, for the time being, that I'm smitten with them. With the coffee bean pads, the CA-1a are what I was expecting and hoping for, and more.

I'm surprised at how much I like them with the donut pads, which make for a striking contrast, they're not just bassier but they're also darker in their tuning. They make for a highly engaging but also mellow listen. I'd assumed falsely that they were more for casual listening, but they work with some genres, like electronic music, perfectly well in their own way. It's great, like getting two outstanding headphones in one!

Apr 30, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #88 of 90
an update for those interested, the VM-1a admittedly expensive takes both the sr1a and ca-1a to the next level which truly IMHO is the pinnacle especially for the price...of course with the Vm-1a they are no longer bargain basement lol....that said simply marvelous

Users who are viewing this thread

Back