RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
May 2, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #1,546 of 1,935
Nobody who doesn’t listen to music like we do will ever understand; and GoldenSound is just one person with his own tastes, he just needs someone to give him a good slap to put him right.
I cannot for the life of me understand why we all put so much stock in professional reviews. Like that recent drivel from that legend-in-his-own-mind 6 Moons guy, an incessant blathering where he goes on page after page and says exactly nothing and wastes everyone's time except for his own. Maybe it is the engineer in me telling myself that the best way is to say your piece efficiently and then get out. If you look at MokhaMark's review in an above post, now there is an efficient review where he examines the phones and says it all without boring the living heck out of his readers. Even Nfandi above recommends you skip the first 9 pages of the 6 Moons review to get to the point of the review, yikes.

May 2, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #1,547 of 1,935
I cannot for the life of me understand why we all put so much stock in professional reviews. Like that recent drivel from that legend-in-his-own-mind 6 Moons guy, an incessant blathering where he goes on page after page and says exactly nothing and wastes everyone's time except for his own. Maybe it is the engineer in me telling myself that the best way is to say your piece efficiently and then get out. If you look at MokhaMark's review in an above post, now there is an efficient review where he examines the phones and says it all without boring the living heck out of his readers. Even Nfandi above recommends you skip the first 9 pages of the 6 Moons review to get to the point of the review, yikes.
I mean, he does say it's for people who "like to read." I enjoy his reviews when I'm in the right (drug-induced) mindset, but I'll fully admit I've just been scanning it for pertinent info myself.

May 2, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #1,548 of 1,935
Could you point me to GoldenSound's comments? Not that I put much stake in them, I'm just really curious.
I asked him privately on Discord because I've read somewhere, I don't remember where it was written, probably in this thread somewhere.

May 2, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #1,549 of 1,935
I am not surprised that those who have heard any of the RAAL headphones that they say their speed is the best they have heard. Ribbon drivers are the least massive of any driver and therefore can respond the quickest. I have never heard anything as detailed as my SR-1b--everything else sounds slow by comparison.
I see you are in Ojai. If you haven't heard Immanis yet, please feel welcome to come hear it in Ventura. Best, Danny

May 2, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #1,550 of 1,935
Alex has been building ribbon drivers for use in speakers for something like 30 years, he knows how to build ribbon drivers. The SR-1a was launched in 2018 and apart from 1 or 2 early users over-enthusiastic application of enormous bass boost we’ve had zero reports of failures in any of the threads I’ve read. Raal build very reliable transducers but they look after their customers if any issues are encountered. I suppose the naked ribbons themselves can be considered to be extremely fragile…..but when folded and shaped and built into the structure of the headphones they become extremely reliable transducers. I don’t think you need have any concerns about the ‘fragility’ of the Raal drivers.
Having distributed 100% of SR-1a/b production, I can confidently say, I've never seen a more reliable, trouble free driver. It's a remarkable transducer. I expect Immanis and Magna to continue that level of performance.

May 2, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #1,551 of 1,935
I also appreciated MokhaMark's review. It was straight to the business of sharing useful and relevant information. Nice work MokhaMark!

May 2, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #1,552 of 1,935
To offer a little support for 6moons. I would never have heard about RAAL years ago if not for 6moons. My wallet is not happy about that, but my ears are. 6moons is the place I go to discover new things.

Getting into headphones was not even at the bottom of my audio priority list prior to reading about the SR1a on 6moons.

May 2, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #1,553 of 1,935
The legend in his own mind is a personal friend of Alex and is the first person, along with Lieven of Headfonia, that gets any new products that Alex releases. He’s not paid directly for his reviews, he earns his income directly from the advertising done on his site. Maybe if you lived on the west coast of Ireland looking out at that view every day you’d end up doing some incessant blathering washed down with a pint or two of Guinness and a measure or three of local whisky 🥃.

May 2, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #1,554 of 1,935
To offer a little support for 6moons. I would never have heard about RAAL years ago if not for 6moons. My wallet is not happy about that, but my ears are. 6moons is the place I go to discover new things.

Getting into headphones was not even at the bottom of my audio priority list prior to reading about the SR1a on 6moons.
Srajan is a very thorough reviewer (as can be deducted by his 14 page Immanis / Magna appraisal) and as a Hi Fi company going with him for a review is definitely getting you what you paid for, he makes money writing and through ads so I wouldn´t blame him for it. I discovered Boenicke Audio speakers through Six Moons and they are something I now aspire to own someday. As mentioned before me, the site is a place for audiophiles who like to read, I have an excellent command of the english language and I enjoy the fact that Srajan makes me pick up the dictionary every now and then, like me, he isn´t a native english speaker so I value his prose even more. He also seems to recognize talent as can be seen by his swift move to get Simone / SimoRag on his team, this is one of the best reviews I´ve read in a long time, with superb photography to boot: https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/simones-tale-in-three-parts/

May 2, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #1,555 of 1,935
To each his own I guess. I apologize if I offended anyone.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #1,557 of 1,935
I appreciate a long time loyal friend and Alex and Srajan have that friendship.

I also know, before starting, what to expect with a 6 Moon Srajan review and it is my choice to read it or not.
@nfandi suggested starting at page 10 and that's not bad advice.

Srajan has assembled some great staff reviewers and his business model has withstood the test of time.

May 2, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #1,558 of 1,935
No, not in this thread. It would be good if you could remember for us.
I am on goldensound’s discord server. Here are some screen shots (the blacked out bit was just not relevant to Immanis)

Attachments

• 5A0C30EC-23EB-4B79-8332-FC72DD57633A.jpeg
    5A0C30EC-23EB-4B79-8332-FC72DD57633A.jpeg
    569.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1A0758A9-52CE-4B12-B0DA-806A138AACFB.jpeg
    1A0758A9-52CE-4B12-B0DA-806A138AACFB.jpeg
    336.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 8988A1A3-BC3E-4B9F-98E8-725E9118CAB9.jpeg
    8988A1A3-BC3E-4B9F-98E8-725E9118CAB9.jpeg
    275.2 KB · Views: 0
May 2, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #1,559 of 1,935
I am on goldensound’s discord server. Here are some screen shots (the blacked out bit was just not relevant to Immanis)
What does thin transients even mean? How can the rate of change in a sound be thin?
I'm curious about this hearing the different drivers on their own thing though.

May 2, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #1,560 of 1,935
What does thin transients even mean? How can the rate of change in a sound be thin?
I'm curious about this hearing the different drivers on their own thing though.
I was curious about this as well. Aleks has said all ribbons are in phase so it should not be possible to hear something coming from any individual one. Makes me wonder if he possibly heard a defective unit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back