RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Apr 14, 2024 at 6:55 AM Post #1,066 of 1,631
So the partnership between the Immanis and the Horizon DAC turned to be - in my system - all I hoped for, and more, to the point that I feel a whole new stage of my audio journey has unfolded.

Due to this, I find it sensible to expand my feedback so far by putting into perspective how the Immanis performs when matched by two very good sources that are voiced differently. TLDR version is: Immanis is very sensitive to the source and my advise is to pick the one that aligns best with your tastes :)

With the dCS Rossini stack, there was an emphasis on detail, soundstaging and sonic images localization, treble energy, bass tightness and precision, relentless speed. It was a really impressive presentation on a technical level, but it lacked - for my tastes - emotional connection, and produced an overall lean-ish midrange, with a slight metallic tinge up to the treble which bothered me. With EQ I was able to achieve a much more pleasing tonal balance, at the expense of a slight loss of transparency and harmonics overtones structure nuances, but I could live with that quite happily.

1713091842899.png

Enter the Lampizator, the Immanis just flourished into a markedly different thing. Now the organic character of the tone, which I find so important for connecting with music, is strikingly natural - neither warm nor bright - and some bloom has been added to the notes which, while smearing the savage transients, has added a richness to the sound that I was missing before. Piano, double bass, violins have an attack / decay structure which is more in line with real-world experience, while at the same time being presented with a more accurate timbre. Soundstage and imaging are more cohesive, still technically impressive yet with a slightly less black background compared to the not-EQ'ed Rossini, but still at least as transparent than the EQ'ed version.
Most importantly for me, given my treble sensitivity, the treble energy has resolved into a liquid, textured, smooth delivery which makes female vocals, for example, utterly natural and seductive, devoid of harshness or digital haze.

As a result of this sonic profile, my listening sessions stretched to several hours in a row with no signs of brain / ear fatigue, and across multiple genres and recording quality enthusiastically. In closing, here is a list of albums from the matinée, music from them was as pouring directly in my bloodstream :heart_eyes:

1713091318258.png

1713091374069.png

1713091455246.png

1713091573563.png

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 7:35 AM Post #1,068 of 1,631
What´s so funny about it? Like Aleksandar mentioned, it´s just another colour option available to buyers together with the matte one , no mention of customisation anywhere.
Yes, you’re right. If I remove any sense of humour and see the world only in black and white then there is no customisation here. However, if you look at the the Raal-Requisite phones and these new Raal 1995 phones with the brushed metal structure, and then add back the sense of humour for which you have a by-pass, the new phones look more like the old ones, especially the CA-1a. It’s my fault that I referred to this as the Raal-Requisite ‘customised’ look and not as the ‘going back in style to the previous Raal-Requisite look’ or some other such words that might not have offended you. Please accept my deeply insincere apologies.

Apr 14, 2024 at 7:48 AM Post #1,069 of 1,631
So the partnership between the Immanis and the Horizon DAC turned to be - in my system - all I hoped for, and more, to the point that I feel a whole new stage of my audio journey has unfolded.

Due to this, I find it sensible to expand my feedback so far by putting into perspective how the Immanis performs behaves when matched by two very good sources that are voiced differently. TL:DR version is: Immanis is very sensitive to the source and my advise is to pick the one that aligns best with your tastes :)

With the dCS Rossini stack, there was an emphasis on detail, soundstaging and sonic images localization, treble energy, bass tightness and precision, relentless speed. It was a really impressive presentation on a technical level, but it lacked - for my tastes - emotional connection, and produced an overall lean-ish midrange, with a slight metallic tinge up to the treble which bothered me. With EQ I was able to achieve a much more pleasing tonal balance, at the expense of a slight loss of transparency and harmonics overtones structure nuances, but I could live with that quite happily.

1713091842899.png

Enter the Lampizator, the Immanis just flourished into a markedly different thing. Now the organic character of the tone, which I find so important for connecting with music, is strikingly natural - neither warm or bright - and some bloom has been added to the notes which, while smearing the savage transients, has added a richness to the sound which I was missing before. Piano, double bass, violins have an attack / decay structure which is more in line with real-world experience, while at the same time being presented with a more accurate timbre. Soundstage and imaging are more cohesive, still technically impressive yet with a slightly less black background compared to the not-EQ'ed Rossini, but still at least as transparent than the EQ'ed version.
Most importantly for me, given my treble sensitivity, the treble energy has resolved into a liquid, textured, smooth delivery which makes female vocals, for example, utterly natural and seductive, devoid of harshness or digital haze.

As a result of this sonic profile, my listening sessions stretch to several hours with no signs of brain / ear fatigue, and across multiple genres and recording quality enthusiastically. In closing, here is a list of albums from the matinée, music from them was as pouring directly in my bloodstream :heart_eyes:

1713091318258.png
1713091374069.png
1713091455246.png
1713091573563.png
Which one do you think brings a more noticeable sound change: changing the DAC/source or rolling Riviera's input tube? I remember when you still had the 1266 TC, you did some tube rolling to fine tune TC's sound to your liking.

Apr 14, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #1,070 of 1,631
Which one do you think brings a more noticeable sound change: changing the DAC/source or rolling Riviera's input tube? I remember when you still had the 1266 TC, you did some tube rolling to fine tune TC's sound to your liking.

DAC changes potentially have a way broader and more audible effect than rolling the AIC-10 tube.

Changing the Riviera tube is very noticeable as well, but not as transformative.

Still, it allows a degree of freedom for optimization of the synergy, very welcome and easy when one owns multiple cans.

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #1,072 of 1,631
Yes, you’re right. If I remove any sense of humour and see the world only in black and white then there is no customisation here. However, if you look at the the Raal-Requisite phones and these new Raal 1995 phones with the brushed metal structure, and then add back the sense of humour for which you have a by-pass, the new phones look more like the old ones, especially the CA-1a. It’s my fault that I referred to this as the Raal-Requisite ‘customised’ look and not as the ‘going back in style to the previous Raal-Requisite look’ or some other such words that might not have offended you. Please accept my deeply insincere apologies.
Your post and use of emoticon lead to believe you were laughing at / making fun of Raal 1995, it didn´t offend me in the least, otherwise I would have most likely replied in the same manner you did to me, and which is why I asked the question. Maybe I misconstrued your intentions and I passed by your world class, stand up comedian sense of humour, but please improve your emoticon game, insincere apologies not accepted.

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #1,074 of 1,631
I think I will opt for a silver finish as well! I'd be fine with the gold, but if there is a silver this option, I'll take it.
Isn't the Magna silver?
Shouldn't be an issue to get a silver Immanis on request

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #1,075 of 1,631
Even if I wasn't concerned about scratches, I still much prefer the gold myself.

IMG_8703.gif

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #1,076 of 1,631
You called it. When I spoke w/Danny he explained it was buyers not wanting to possibly miss out by not buying the top. FOMO for sure
I only spent a few minutes (literally "a few") with each, and while I do not consider that anywhere near enough to form a reliable opinion, my initial impression was very much:

Magna: "hmmm, very nice."
Immanis: "WHOA! Really?"

And I went in REALLY hoping to prefer Magna, for obviou$ rea$on$. :wink:

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #1,077 of 1,631
Any "black" Version in the works as well?
Or Tungsten or something along those lines

A "Dark Theme" as counter to the "White Theme"
No, just Gold or Stainless Steel grilles and black or silver-brushed or matte headsprings and adjoining parts.
Though, I could Gold-plate the headspring as well.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Apr 14, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #1,078 of 1,631

Due to this, I find it sensible to expand my feedback so far by putting into perspective how the Immanis performs when matched by two very good sources that are voiced differently. TLDR version is: Immanis is very sensitive to the source and my advise is to pick the one that aligns best with your tastes :)

1713091842899.png

Enter the Lampizator, the Immanis just flourished into a markedly different thing. Now the organic character of the tone, which I find so important for connecting with music, is strikingly natural - neither warm nor bright - and some bloom has been added to the notes which, while smearing the savage transients, has added a richness to the sound that I was missing before. Piano, double bass, violins have an attack / decay structure which is more in line with real-world experience, while at the same time being presented with a more accurate timbre. Soundstage and imaging are more cohesive, still technically impressive yet with a slightly less black background compared to the not-EQ'ed Rossini, but still at least as transparent than the EQ'ed version.

As a result of this sonic profile, my listening sessions stretched to several hours in a row with no signs of brain / ear fatigue, and across multiple genres and recording quality enthusiastically. In closing, here is a list of albums from the matinée, music from them was as pouring directly in my bloodstream :heart_eyes:

1713091318258.png
1713091374069.png
1713091455246.png
1713091573563.png
some of us have some financial restraints lol

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #1,079 of 1,631
Is this the Raal-Requisite customised look? 🤭
Well, that's what the clients requested and since it's immediately achievable, I will do that for them.
I just wanted others to know that this is a possibility, so nobody complaints to me afterwards for not knowing it was possible, once they see this on the forums, posted by the guys who asked for it.
It is no my preferred look, though, I like it better as originally intended, but I won't say no to something that is not problematic to manufacture.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back