RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Apr 13, 2024 at 12:04 AM Post #1,051 of 1,663
That can't be entirely true, I know a couple people on this thread, or the other Immanis thread have put orders on both the Immanis and Magna. That is pretty crazy there is such a large disparity though, I would've expected it to be closer to half and half. I admit to contributing to the "problem" with my Immanis order though :)
Yeah, I figured it might be leaning towards the Immanis but not to that degree! At this level we are all wanting the best. There is always 'could there be more'? in this other model then there is FOMO!

Heck, I'd like to try both as well with the lighter weight of the Magna and some saying it is a bit more forward and I may like that over smooth.
With so few are ordering the Magna these may be available to try along with the Immanis that many of us have ordered!

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 1:02 AM Post #1,052 of 1,663
Yeah, I figured it might be leaning towards the Immanis but not to that degree!
Heck, I'd like to try both as well with the lighter weight of the Magna and some saying it is a bit more forward and I may like that over smooth.
With so few are ordering the Magna these may be available to try along with the Immanis that many of us have ordered!
Maybe it will balance out when people realize the wait time for Immanis is several months, but they could get a Magna right away

Apr 13, 2024 at 5:04 AM Post #1,053 of 1,663
I posted earlier that when I demoed the Magna and Immanis at Danny's last week I found the Magna had some fatigue for me on certain songs. This was similar to what could happen at my home system with the CA-1a. Not so much with the SR1a. I used my VM-1a at Danny's and of course at my home. So, an apples-to-apples comparison.

I was thinking that maybe it was the RME DAC that Danny was using that was giving me the fatigue. My Benchmark DAC3B is bright and the VM-1a does a decent job of masking that. However, there are instances when I get a bit of fatigue with the CA-1a. That irritation I felt with the Magna and the RME DAC is similar to what I sometimes feel with the DAC3B and the CA-1a.

This evening, I decided to mothball my Livingroom system for the time being and brought the Schit Yggi+ Less Is More DAC to my office system where the VM-1a also resides. The Yggi+ LIM is a calmer DAC on the top end, and I find it much better overall than the DAC3B. I find the DAC3B and the RME similar with the RME having the advantage of the eq adjustments.

After several hours of listening today with the CA-1a (which I feel is very similar to the Magna), I have zero fatigue. I am certain that if I used the Yggi+ LIM DAC at Danny's for the Magna, I would have no fatigue.

What is interesting to me is that I had zero fatigue with the VM-1a, Immanis, and the RME DAC at Danny's. I wonder if I would prefer the DAC3B with the Immanis. Whatever, the case I will have 2 DACs in my office for the combo that works the best.

Apr 13, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #1,054 of 1,663
Thanks for posting your impressions! I didn't listen to any orchestral music on my limited audition of the Immanis, but I would've guessed it to be a great pairing with Immanis's roomy stage and pinpoint imaging. Could you elaborate on why you preferred it on Susvara?
Full disclaimer: I did not audition the Immanis and Susvara side-by-side on the exact same Envy amp. That said, the two Envy amps (one for Immanis and one for Susvara) had Full Music tubes and were each running off an RME ADI-2. And I heard the setups in back-to-back listening sessions. So yeah, not a real rigorous comparison. But not a bad one either.

I felt the Immanis had a touch more bloom than Susvara for solo piano and orchestra. In the legendary recording of Pogorelich playing Ravel’s Gaspard de la Nuit, any sostenuto resulted in a *bit* more upper end bass bleed into the mids and treble relative to Susvara. I felt the same for cello and trombone in a few orchestral recordings.

But really, these are two exceptional headphones, and I would be thrilled to have the Immanis as my one and only pair. Probably forever. Now I have to find a spare $9450 for Immanis and about $9000 for Envy. Though I’m curious how Immanis would sound on my iFi Pro iCAN Signature connected to Gustard R26…

I was told that they have orders for 60 Immanis. And 0 Magna. Currently a 20-week lead time. If you placed an order now, you will probably receive in the September timeframe.

Apr 13, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #1,055 of 1,663
@simorag @Aleksandar R. @SageM What would happen if we decide to use the Immanis without pads?

In such conditions, how would it compare to the SR1a? Given the larger surface area, would the sub-bass still be louder? What about the maximum ribbon excursion; is it greater on the Immanis?

I assume the Immanis was tuned taking into account the fixed ribbons position and cups, but would it be possible to kind of untune them to work in free air (ear speakers-like) with the help of convolution filters, perhaps?

If the Immanis could work both with and without cups, it would make it very convenient for different use cases. Then someone could create a new 3D-printed headband to angle them.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #1,056 of 1,663
Yeah, I figured it might be leaning towards the Immanis but not to that degree! At this level we are all wanting the best. There is always 'could there be more'? in this other model then there is FOMO!

You called it. When I spoke w/Danny he explained it was buyers not wanting to possibly miss out by not buying the top. FOMO for sure

Apr 13, 2024 at 11:38 PM Post #1,057 of 1,663
At Singapore Canjam, I was asked about white-metal grille finish for Immanis and white-metal finish for headspring (brushed/shiny and bead blasted/matte).

So here are the photos of Immanis in all white metal finished, polished buckles, grilles, screws and bushings, with brushed headspring.

In a few days, I will have matte version to show (just like on SR and CA).

Warning: white-metal headsprings are not scratch-proof.

So, if you would like any of these, please have your supplier be aware of that and it will get delivered like that.

20240412_165623m.jpg
20240412_165601m.jpg
20240412_165551m.jpg
20240412_165529m.jpg

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Apr 14, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #1,058 of 1,663
At Singapore Canjam, I was asked about white-metal grille finish for Immanis and white-metal finish for headspring (brushed/shiny and bead blasted/matte).

So here are the photos of Immanis in all white metal finished, polished buckles, grilles, screws and bushings, with brushed headspring.

So, if you would like any of these, please have your supplier be aware of that and it will get delivered like that.

Interesting. At first blush, I think I prefer this look to the standard finish.

Is the color (and scratch-resistance) of the standard finish achieved through anodization? And if so, will the white-metal finish also be more prone to corrosion?

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 1:48 AM Post #1,059 of 1,663
I'm definitely going for some variant of silver finish. the gold is actually quite nice; I could live with it, but given the choice, silver for sure.

I keep thinking of that wonderful sound I heard at canjam. I've never been so anxious and eager to get a headphone! hope the wait is not too long.

Apr 14, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #1,060 of 1,663
Interesting. At first blush, I think I prefer this look to the standard finish.

Is the color (and scratch-resistance) of the standard finish achieved through anodization? And if so, will the white-metal finish also be more prone to corrosion?
Standard finish is TiAlN PVD coating like for milling and cutting tools.
It doesn't prevent corrosion very well, but thats not needed as the headspring is made of stainless steel.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Apr 14, 2024 at 4:58 AM Post #1,061 of 1,663

20240412_165623m.jpg20240412_165601m.jpg20240412_165551m.jpg20240412_165529m.jpg
I quite like it. Hmmm, decisions. This doesn’t move you down in the queue, does it?

Apr 14, 2024 at 5:05 AM Post #1,063 of 1,663

Any "black" Version in the works as well?
Or Tungsten or something along those lines

A "Dark Theme" as counter to the "White Theme"

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 5:14 AM Post #1,065 of 1,663

Is this the Raal-Requisite customised look? 🤭

Users who are viewing this thread

Back