RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Apr 12, 2024 at 1:29 AM Post #1,021 of 1,659
Here's one more interesting encounter from Singapore, and a quite unexpected one!

The only person who I think ever listened to Immanis and Magna at two Shows:
Marcus from Germany, WOH Heidelberg and CanJam SG!

sdghsg.jpg

Last edited:
RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Apr 12, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #1,022 of 1,659
Just spent a hour with the Immanis at AXPONA. Connected with a silver cable to its proprietary transformer box into the Felix Audio Envy with the Full Audio 300B’s and using RME ADI-2 as the DAC. Oh wow it was glorious! Listened to classical solo piano, rock, metal, R&B, electronic and jazz. Everything sounded stellar. Many thanks to Danny McKinney at Raal for valuable conversation, letting me audition for so long and just being a great guy in general.

I don’t think this headphone has a weakness. It combines the incisive transients, detail retrieval, wide staging and holographic presentation of the Suavara (or STAX SR-9000) and the sub-bass of a more traditional planar without the shortcomings.

And it is very comfortable. Don’t let the 620 g discourage you. The clamping force is just right and the headphone just sat on my head without issue.

For me, this was “the” headphone of the show.

Other greats were STAX SR-X9000 off Blue Hawaii and Susvara off Feliks Envy.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #1,023 of 1,659
Just spent a hour with the Immanis at AXPONA. Connected with a silver cable to its proprietary transformer box into the Felix Audio Envy with the Full Audio 300B’s and using RME ADI-2 as the DAC. Oh wow it was glorious! Listened to classical solo piano, rock, metal, R&B, electronic and jazz. Everything sounded stellar. Many thanks to Danny McKinney at Raal for valuable conversation, letting me audition for so long and just being a great guy in general.

I don’t think this headphone has a weakness.

And it is very comfortable. Don’t let the 620 g discourage you. The clamping force is just right and the headphone just sat on my head without issue.

For me, this was “the” headphone of the show.

Other greats were STAX SR-X9000 off Blue Hawaii and Susvara off Feliks Envy.

You probably didnt do an A/B, but how would describe Immanis vs Susvara on Envy?

Especially since its pretty much my go to chain and something I plan to pair Immanis with one day too :)

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #1,024 of 1,659
Just listened to these at AXPONA. Fantastic. I'd love to listen to them in my own system. Always difficult when so many others around.

Apr 12, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #1,025 of 1,659
You probably didnt do an A/B, but how would describe Immanis vs Susvara on Envy?

Especially since its pretty much my go to chain and something I plan to pair Immanis with one day :)
Immanis has more “meat on the bones”, and this was most evident when listening to metal (Tool, Rage, etc…) where those over-driven electric guitars just sound guttural. Damn it’s good. And sub-bass is actually there on Immanis whereas Suavara requires some serious amplification and an R2R DAC to get into that sub-bass regime. At least in my opinion. In summary, Susvara feels somewhat thin and clinical compared to Immanis.

That said, Susvara is staying in my collection, as I think it does solo piano and orchestra better than Immanis.

I should also mention that I head Immanis on the Headonia 300B. For me, this was not a good match. Immanis lost some of its rich tone and the soundstage was compressed compared to the Envy.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #1,026 of 1,659
Immanis has more “meat on the bones”, and this was most evident when listening to metal (Tool, Rage, etc…) where those over-driven electric guitars just sound guttural. Damn it’s good. And sub-bass is actually there on Immanis whereas Suavara requires some serious amplification and an R2R DAC to get into that sub-bass regime. At least in my opinion. In summary, Susvara feels somewhat thin and clinical compared to Immanis.

That said, Susvara is staying in my collection, as I think it does solo piano and orchestra better than Immanis.

I should also mention that I head Immanis on the Headonia 300B. For me, this was not a good match. Immanis lost some of its rich tone and the soundstage was compressed compared to the Envy.
Thanks, time to get some money together for Immanis it seems. Though never felt like Susvara was lacking on Envy with May, especially if you throw in some full bodied tubes like WE300b, was just listening to Meshuggah with it, it slams ;D But yep, Immanis sounds exactly like what I hope it to be, similar res, airyness and stage to Susvara with more meat and heft for certain recordings, while keeping Susvara for some refined delicate stuff.

How did you feel about the technicalities, especially resolution and imaging? Does Immanis have the edge over the old girl Sus?

Apr 12, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #1,027 of 1,659

Did you hear the Immanis with the RAAL VM-1a amp?

Apr 12, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #1,028 of 1,659
Immanis has more “meat on the bones”, and this was most evident when listening to metal (Tool, Rage, etc…) where those over-driven electric guitars just sound guttural. Damn it’s good. And sub-bass is actually there on Immanis whereas Suavara requires some serious amplification and an R2R DAC to get into that sub-bass regime. At least in my opinion.

Thanks, time to get some money together for Immanis it seems. Though never felt like Susvara was lacking on Envy with May, especially if you throw in some full bodied tubes like WE300b, was just listening to Meshuggah with it, it slams ;D But yep, Immanis sounds exactly like what I hope it to be, similar res, airyness and stage to Susvara with more meat and heft for certain recordings, while keeping Susvara for some refined delicate stuff.

How did you feel about the technicalities, especially resolution and imaging? Does Immanis have the edge over the old girl Sus?
Resolution and imaging similar or slightly better than Suavara. Keep in mind I *only* had one hour to listen at AXPONA (never been to a show like this but as I understand it, that’s a good long time at a show). And it was on the open floor, not in a dedicated private listening room.

Apr 12, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #1,030 of 1,659
the envy with upgraded tubes is truly special...I heard the Immanis on the VM-1a which I also own and look forward to hearing it on my envy

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #1,031 of 1,659

Thanks for posting your impressions! I didn't listen to any orchestral music on my limited audition of the Immanis, but I would've guessed it to be a great pairing with Immanis's roomy stage and pinpoint imaging. Could you elaborate on why you preferred it on Susvara?

Apr 12, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #1,032 of 1,659
Buyers are only going for the Immanis. No Magna sold yet.
The Envy did sound good. The 300B tube deal is just an expensive end product with all the tube offerings.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #1,033 of 1,659
Buyers are only going for the Magna. No Immanis sold yet.
Wow. I find that very surprising. I would have expected it to be the other way around.

Apr 12, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #1,034 of 1,659
Buyers are only going for the Magna. No Immanis sold yet.
The Envy did sound good. The 300B tube deal is just an expensive end product with all the tube offerings.
Are you sure of this? From what I have read here on Head-Fi, most members are reserving Immanis with a lesser fraction going for the Magna. Either way, these phones look like a definite hit.

Apr 12, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #1,035 of 1,659
Positive. I was AXPONA today and visited the booth/table twice. I was told how many they sold and they too were surprised about the result. Buyers are reluctant about not spending up and possibly missing out. As far as headphone rigs go this is definitely at the high end. The Immanis were beyond impressive through the Envy. I'm sure there's going to be more "in-depth" from other visitors/regulars here to corroborate. They are cool looking too. I would love to listen to those through my CHORD rig. I'd need an amp as well to power up properly after speaking w/RAAL. I would have loved to hear these over at the DCS LINA tower.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back