RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Apr 9, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #991 of 1,650
And this is all of us at SLT Tech room at CanJam!

jkg.jpg

Mike of Centrance (2nd from the left) has super-powers! Travelling for 30 hrs, doing a 2-day Show and still looking enthusiastic!

Last edited:
RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Apr 9, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #993 of 1,650
The SG CanJam was great in every way!

Here's one of my my favorite photos, with my buddy, Andrea Ricci of Spirit Torino!
He showed me a couple of ideas he already tried with Valkyrie...it's about stereo imaging and I'm very impressed with his way of thinking!

Sporit Torino - RAAL 1995.jpg

If I'm looking tired here, it's real :)
I was able to fall asleep in the middle of the conversation :)
Next time I go to SG CanJam, I'll come early and spend much more time there!
The elderly man behind the scenes is very kind. Please help me send a hello to him.

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #995 of 1,650
The SG CanJam was great in every way!

Here's one of my favorite photos, with my buddy, Andrea Ricci of Spirit Torino (and Dragan od SAEQ in the background)!
He showed me a couple of ideas he already tried with Valkyrie...it's about stereo imaging and I'm very impressed with his way of thinking!

Sporit Torino - RAAL 1995.jpg

If I'm looking tired here, it's real :)
I was able to fall asleep in the middle of the conversation :)
Next time I go to SG CanJam, I'll come early and spend much more time there!
Valkyria and Immanis. While both share a pricetag which I hope won't become a Standard it's also undeniable that both do something special in their own right.

Apr 9, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #996 of 1,650
I own basically every type of driver, dynamic, planar, estat, ribbon and I'll say I believe ribbons best pull off the magic trick of doing everything well, full bass, sparkly highs, fast, impactful, clear, clean, wide but accurate, good timbre, etc.
Stop, you're making my trigger finger all itchy and my savings account VERY uncomfortable. :wink:lol

It is encouraging to hear listening impressions of the Immanis with Holo Audio - I plan to connect mine to my Bliss. I realise that it will not be the same as listening to the Immanis on the VM1a or the Armageddon but this is what I will have to be content with until the Bliss eventually makes way for my next amp...
While there are certainly higher end options, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a solid state amp substantially better than Bliss in the "I am not a billionaire" category.

Alex told us that 2 men can make just 5 ribbons per day; not 5 complete cups, just 5 naked ribbons. That’s less than one Immanis per day excluding all the other time and effort to make and assemble the units. I think your hope for a quick production turnover might remain just a hope and you will have to resign yourself to quite a long lead time.
Perhaps, but now that they have a backorder list for $10k headphones I suspect/hope they'll be in a position to expand the operation soon. I hope so, anyway - I love when the little guys succeed and blow up into BIG PLAYERS. :)

The best things in life are worth waiting for....
This is true, too. I waited almost 2 years for DNA Stellaris, and tbh the wait 1) gave me time to be absolutely certain of my purchase, and 2) made it feel all the more special and made me appreciate it even more once I got my hands on it.

As i mentioned, better in what way? Only technicalities? Tonality? Musicality? Lushness? Bass texture? The Susvara is such a great all-in-one package without any weakness when properly driven.
I'm a newcomer to Susvara, but as I know I've already mentioned in this thread, Immanis immediately struck me as the best soundstaging & resolution I've ever heard, bar none. I was less convinced about the bass, though full disclosure I am VERY partial to planar bass, so I'm predisposed to be a tough sell in that area. My immediate impression was that Immanis makes music sound almost binaural even when it's not. What more can we ask than that, really?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #997 of 1,650
My immediate impression was that Immanis makes music sound almost binaural even when it's not. What more can we ask than that, really?
Wow. I have lots of binaural recording albums, I wonder how they will sound on Immanis!

Apr 10, 2024 at 2:17 AM Post #999 of 1,650
Wow. I have lots of binaural recording albums, I wonder how they will sound on Immanis!

Binaural recordings on the Immanis are totally exhilarating. As a fellow Valkyria owner, you should have access to some of Andrea's own binaural recordings and the spookiness of most of them is to be heard to be believed.

A great collection is this one, and the first song (Stompin' at the Savoy) almost made me laugh the first time I tried it with the Immanis. Like, looking around my shoulders and into the room searching for where the sound came from :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1712728786505.png

But even more important, in my use case, is that regular recordings with the Immanis benefit from an effect whose outcome reminds crossfeed or binaural, in that the frontal image is more prominent than usual, which on the one hand gives a more naturalistic soundstage compared to the typical headphone "bubble", and on the other hand increase the perceived depth of field. This in turn enhances significantly the realism of - for example - orchestral music.

Yesterday I was listening to this album (not binaural, but very well recorded and characterized by a big, weighty sound) and the perceived deployment of the orchestra in space was the closest I have experienced to 2 channel, without the need of using DSP.

1712729070359.png

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:14 AM Post #1,000 of 1,650
The RAAL 1995 headphones boast unparalleled audio fidelity, setting a new benchmark for enthusiasts. The Magna model impresses with its crisp highs and rich midrange, delivering a captivating listening experience. Meanwhile, the Immanis variant elevates bass response, ensuring a balanced sound signature that caters to diverse musical preferences. Truly exceptional audio engineering.

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #1,001 of 1,650
The RAAL 1995 headphones boast unparalleled audio fidelity, setting a new benchmark for enthusiasts. The Magna model impresses with its crisp highs and rich midrange, delivering a captivating listening experience. Meanwhile, the Immanis variant elevates bass response, ensuring a balanced sound signature that caters to diverse musical preferences. Truly exceptional audio engineering.
You sound like a Sales and Marketing executive or AI…….

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:34 AM Post #1,002 of 1,650
Binaural recordings on the Immanis are totally exhilarating. As a fellow Valkyria owner, you should have access to some of Andrea's own binaural recordings and the spookiness of most of them is to be heard to be believed.

A great collection is this one, and the first song (Stompin' at the Savoy) almost made me laugh the first time I tried it with the Immanis. Like, looking around my shoulders and into the room searching for where the sound came from :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But even more important, in my use case, is that regular recordings with the Immanis benefit from an effect whose outcome reminds crossfeed or binaural, in that the frontal image is more prominent than usual, which on the one hand gives a more naturalistic soundstage compared to the typical headphone "bubble", and on the other hand increase the perceived depth of field. This in turn enhances significantly the realism of - for example - orchestral music.

Yesterday I was listening to this album (not binaural, but very well recorded and characterized by a big, weighty sound) and the perceived deployment of the orchestra in space was the closest I have experienced to 2 channel, without the need of using DSP.

Thanks @simorag that’s another 9th Symphony added to the library. Can’t find any reference to the Chesky recordings on Qobuz.

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #1,004 of 1,650
Friends, can someone explain to me which software I need to listen to binaural recordings and where I can download them? I am mostly using Foobar on PC or Picoreplayer on Raspberry PI. Thank you!
As far as I know these are just stereo recordings that are specially mic’d when recording to give a truly spatial representation of the recording space. Just use your normal gear, obviously the better you gear the better the experience. The Chesky stuff can be bought directly from The Audiophile Society that’s run by David Chesky. I expect @simorag may well have more information.
Looks like the recordings from Chesky Records are now exclusively handled by HD Tracks (it says exclusively but then I also found cheskyrecords.bandcamp.com)
Edit: For hi-res content you have to go to HDtracks.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 6:18 AM Post #1,005 of 1,650
As far as I know these are just stereo recordings that are specially mic’d when recording to give a truly spatial representation of the recording space. Just use your normal gear, obviously the better you gear the better the experience. The Chesky stuff can be bought directly from The Audiophile Society that’s run by David Chesky. I expect @simorag may well have more information.
Looks like the recordings from Chesky Records are now exclusively handled by HD Tracks (it says exclusively but then I also found cheskyrecords.bandcamp.com)
Edit: For hi-res content you have to go to HDtracks.
Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back