RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Apr 6, 2024 at 5:14 AM Post #886 of 1,634
Reading all your impressione it soundls like Immanis loves a tube approach.
Does this mean that on a Zähl HM1 is it going to prefer the pure class A setting instead of the negative feedback setting (Servo)?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 8:16 AM Post #887 of 1,634
Reading all your impressione it soundls like Immanis loves a tube approach.
Does this mean that on a Zähl HM1 is it going to prefer the pure class A setting instead of the negative feedback setting (Servo)?
I borrowed a pair at CanJam and took them to the Headamp room where we paired them with the upcoming CFA3. I liked them better on that setup than the one provided by Raal. My takeaway is they'll sound great on a wide variety of amplification topologies.

Apr 6, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #888 of 1,634
Still no Lampizator?

Just arrived :wink:

1000017902-02.jpeg

Apr 6, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #889 of 1,634
Apr 6, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #890 of 1,634
Have you had any thoughts yet about what Mitch might do with Magna or Immanis?
I am a big fan of Mitch's work. In fact Mitch did my office years ago when I had the Thiel CS3.7 floor standers in that small room. I also have every one of the filters he has created for the SR1a and CA-1a. However, once I got the VM-1a I never used the filters with the CA-1a or SR1a.

Given the sound I heard yesterday with the VM-1a and the Immanis I would not use the filters. Maybe the Magna and the VM-1a could use a filter because of the tiny bit of fatigue I described.

I should have mentioned that we used the TRIODE mode on the VM. I normally use PENTODE but had set it to TRIODE at home and forgot to change it at Danny's after I turned the unit on.

Apr 6, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #891 of 1,634
Apr 6, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #893 of 1,634
The tonality of the Immanis is - to my ears - neutral / cool. The midrange and treble are crisp, sparkling, with a substantial amount of treble energy. The bass foundation is substantial as well, although very tight, which provides a balancing act to what otherwise would have been an overly lean / bright palette to my tastes. To put things on a (subjective) perspective, on a scale 0 (pitch black) to 10 (white heat bright), I would put Immanis on 6.5, whereas SR1a and HD800 would be 7, Warwick Aperio 6.5, CA-1a 6, AB-1266 with Superconductor 6, Utopia OG 6, Susvara 5.5, X9000 5, HE-1 4.5, Valkyria 4.

The tone leans towards a studio tuning with little concessions to romance, I would not use "smooth" as a descriptor for the high frequency response, unless you compare to overtly bright cans. In my book, smooth comes with a pleasing roll-off and an organic texture, which I would not associate to the Immanis treble sound. I would describe Immanis treble as a pure, grain-less, liquid, agile.

The presentation is very big, open and propulsive, exciting. The sound breathes, and comes from out of your head like no other phones, except the SR1a with open-angled earpieces (terrible for bass, though). The transparency and detail is astounding, both micro and macrodynamics are startling. Imaging is the best I have experienced.

There is a good amount of body to the sound, more than the SR1a, less than Susvara, Valkyria, LCD4 or X9000.
Slam is good, yet not at the level of what the best planars can do in the sub bass, neither at the level of what the best dynamics can do on bass.

It is a true ribbon sound, stingy, insanely fast and resolving. They extract information from the recordings down to plankton level, but - luckily- they dont overwhelm / distract you like SR1a / Aperio. They are ruthelessly revealing, rather unforgiving. They are inducing an attentive, alert listening attitude rather than a laid back abandon.

The Immanis are very sensitive, responsive to changes in the setup (cables, electronics, power, software), so there is room to optimize a system around them tailored for one's tastes, where all I have noted above can be changed to some extent.

I sense they will love big-tubed electronics.

Furthermore, a remarkable aspect of the Immanis - which seems to be a characteristic of RAAL headphones - is that they respond very well to EQ (of which in general I am not a fan), to the point that they can be modelled into a very different tonal balance (like in an Abyss-level bass monster or a 'buttery smooth' X9000 midrange) without totally disrupting their unique nature or compromising their transparency. I bet when Mitch will have the chance of preparing some professional filters, they will be very much worth trying.

Thanks so much for taking the time. The references across headphones is really helpful since I've heard most of them. Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. One last question, it seems like it would be redundant with the Susvara to a degree? (I know that comes down to the person). I ask because I thought of trading some gear to get the Susvara back, but it already strongly overlaps with the SGL Sr. Wouldn't want to go that route if it also does to a large degree with the Immanis.

But again, and as always, really helpful perspective! :)

Apr 6, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #894 of 1,634
Just arrived :wink:

1000017902-02.jpeg

I'm mulling over the Pacific now. Don't know if I'll ever be able to spring for the Horizon. So jealous!

I can only imagine the window into the music with it and the Immanis.

Apr 6, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #895 of 1,634
Thanks so much for taking the time. The references across headphones is really helpful since I've heard most of them. Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. One last question, it seems like it would be redundant with the Susvara to a degree? (I know that comes down to the person). I ask because I thought of trading some gear to get the Susvara back, but it already strongly overlaps with the SGL Sr. Wouldn't want to go that route if it also does to a large degree with the Immanis.

Just another opinion, from a SGL Sr. owner and a former CA-1 & Susvara owner who has heard the Immanis at a show, there is overlap. However, I still plan on bringing Immanis and Magna in for a test on my own equipment to get a fuller perspective.

Apr 6, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #896 of 1,634
Just another opinion, from a SGL Sr. owner and a former CA-1 & Susvara owner who has heard the Immanis at a show, there is overlap. However, I still plan on bringing Immanis and Magna in for a test on my own equipment to get a fuller perspective.

That's what I figured. Ok, means I can just sell more gear rather than making a trade for the Susvara. All works out. But I'll hold off until I hear them, thanks for the input!

Apr 6, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #897 of 1,634
Eying Immanis myself atm, but expecting the overlap you talk about aswell. Susvara on a good amp,especially on higher end tube amps is simply yet to be detroned for me, I heard plenty of TOTL stuff including Aperio, which never did all the things for me that Susvara is capable off on a good amp. How would you compare Sus to Immanis lets say on something like Ha-300b or Envy? How does Immanis scale compared to Sus?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #898 of 1,634
Step 1: Replace the Quad Tung Sol KT150 with a Quad of KR KT150.

LOL I have bigger projects than that about tube rolling, but I am not in a hurry. In its stock form the Horizon is already providing a major sound change (for the better) that I want to taste for a little while before taking the next step :)

That’s a rather delightful looking tube-fest. Are you going to christen it with Valkyria or Immanis? And with which piece of music? (While I listen in the background with my CA-1a/HSA-1b/Holo May).

It has been this one with the Immanis. Chills all over my arms, increased salivation, just the kind of reaction I was striving for!

1712417426869.png

There are overlaps of course, but no redundancy with the Susvara IMHO. The Immanis is more energetic, engaging and exciting, more transparent and wider sounding. The Susvara is comparatively smoother (but also duller), has a fuller midrange and more oomph in the sub-bass. I am in the minority here, but overall I found the Susvara very good at everything but they had nothing that carried me away as 'special'.

I'm mulling over the Pacific now. Don't know if I'll ever be able to spring for the Horizon. So jealous!

I can only imagine the window into the music with it and the Immanis.

The Horizon and Immanis make a beautiful pairing indeed, based on early listening it is a transformative experience compared to my previous DAC.

I almost went for the Pacific. Actually auditioning the Pac was what brought me into Lampizator. It is a truly magnificent DAC as well. A friend heartily recommended the Atlantic III TRP for the 'closest possible to analog' experience (if that's a preference), which I never tried personally.

Apr 6, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #899 of 1,634
Eying Immanis myself atm, but expecting the overlap you talk about aswell. Susvara on a good amp,especially on higher end tube amps is simply yet to be detroned for me, I heard plenty of TOTL stuff including Aperio, which never did all the things for me that Susvara is capable off on a good amp. How would you compare Sus to Immanis lets say on something like Ha-300b or Envy?
My overlap reference was related to the Shang Sr. rather than the Susvara. I think there's less overlap between the Immanis and the Susvara. The problem I'm faced with is I've not experienced the Immanis on a 300b topology so I can't provide proper feedback. What I can say is the upstream components significantly impact the Susvara and I'm not sure yet whether that is the case as much with the Immanis.

Apr 6, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #900 of 1,634
That's what I figured. Ok, means I can just sell more gear rather than making a trade for the Susvara. All works out. But I'll hold off until I hear them, thanks for the input!
I’ll be happy to loan you my Susvara again after you receive an Immanis. :relaxed: The thing about the Susvara is that it perfectly toes the line between resolving and organic for me. Even after I own one of the new Raals, I imagine Susvara will still get meaningful play. TBD, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back