RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Mar 18, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #646 of 1,929
Anything else you might be able to add? Noticeable differences between the two models? Good weight to the music? Thanks!
Sure thing! I wanted to get home so I could refer to the notes I took at the show. Please note that the noise, short listen time and unfamiliar songs caveats still apply.

Build: Excellent build quality and very sturdy in the hand. Nice quality metal and leather, not sure if actual wood or pressed wood, looks really great and grill is really pretty.

Comfort: The headphones are decently comfortable though I would have liked a bit more cup swivel. The form factor kind of reminded me of the abyss 1266 where it seems like it's more of an ear speaker design rather than a traditional headphone. The pads are nice and plush, lots of space for the ears. The weight distribution is pretty good thanks to the double headband. Magna was a little more comfortable probably due to the lighter weight.

Sound: Magna sounds very fast and resolving. I had just listened to the Susvara on the Felix Envy and it reminded me of that set up. I had my Meze Elites on hand to compare and the Magna sounded comparatively slightly less warm and rich through the midrange and they had slightly more upper mid emphasis which made vocals really pop and sound really textured. It seemed the separate the vocals and backing instruments really well and my Elites sounded comparatively smoother and less distinct.

Immanis sounded very similar to the Magna, same technical capabilities but maybe had slightly more warmth? Notes seemed to hang in the air slightly longer. And bass frequencies seemed slightly more prominent. I am not sure if this is just the headphones or because it was hooked up to a tube amp. Soundstage also seemed a tad bigger but not by much.

Overall they were both very enjoyable and technically capable listens and were highlights for me at the show. I would love a chance to do more critical listening in a quiet room with my own music. If I had the opportunity to buy one now I would probably get the Magna, not only for the lighter weight/comfort but also price wise, it's more attainable. I have a warm source chain so I am sure they would perform nicely since I tend to favor a slightly warmer signature. Really looking forward to hearing them and other raals again beacuse I loved my first experience with those ribbon headphones. :)

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #649 of 1,929
Does anyone know the current expected lead time for Immanis/Magna in Europe?
@Aleksandar R.
In 3 weeks we will ship out 8 in total, 3 for US, 3 for DE, 1 for IT, 1 for SG.

That is how many headsprings with good TiAlN coating we have. The rest of the batch is ruined and you can't strip it, you can overcoat another layer, you can only throw away the piece that took 4+ hrs of work to make, plus laser cutting services, plus coating...
But, those with flaws will be used a Show demos. I can see the flaws, but it takes scrutiny to spot them, so good for Shows.

We are currently working on solving issues with that coating and once we fix that, we will assemble more for sales.
Nothing firm is known, just solving problems as I go, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel...

And once we're done, they will be perfect!

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Mar 21, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #650 of 1,929
In 3 weeks we will ship out 8 in total, 3 for US, 3 for DE, 1 for IT, 1 for SG.

That is how many headsprings with good TiAlN coating we have. The rest of the batch is ruined and you can't strip it, you can overcoat another layer, you can only throw away the piece that took 4+ hrs of work to make, plus laser cutting services, plus coating...
But, those with flaws will be used a Show demos. I can see the flaws, but it takes scrutiny to spot them, so good for Shows.

We are currently working on solving issues with that coating and once we fix that, we will assemble more for sales.
Nothing firm is known, just solving problems as I go, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel...

And once we're done, they will be perfect!
Is it acceptable for U.S. to order from headphone.shop? Considering RAAL will be direct for a time before allowing other dealer sources.

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #651 of 1,929
Is it acceptable for U.S. to order from headphone.shop? Considering RAAL will be direct for a time before allowing other dealer sources.
It's not direct, it's through RAAL-requisite, headphone.shop, SLT Technologies and Headphones&Co.
All of these have the same priority and will be supplied at the same time.
People who are direct with me, they know it, and have priority after this initial run of 8 pcs through the distribution network.
In case of warranty repair, or needing help of any kind, it is not practical to ship returns to the sale point on another continent.

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #652 of 1,929
It's not direct, it's through RAAL-requisite, headphone.shop, SLT Technologies and Headphones&Co.
All of these have the same priority and will be supplied at the same time.
People who are direct with me, they know it, and have priority after this initial run of 8 pcs through the distribution network.
In case of warranty repair, or needing help of any kind, it is not practical to ship returns to the sale point on another continent.
Ok. Thank you for clarifying the supply line.

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #653 of 1,929
Hello all! My interest in the Immanis finally got me to make an account on here so this is my first post. I heard them at canjam nyc and had to place an order right away. I think I will get mine with the 2nd batch? I have seen several people ask how they compare to the Susvara, and while I don't trust auditory memory enough to make a real comparison right now, Susvara have been my daily drivers for a couple years now and I plan to do an in depth comparison whenever my Immanis do arrive for any that are interested. I am expecting these to replace my Susvara but I suppose we'll see. I am running the "golden boy special" right now, that is Susvara off of a May and Bliss. I am very interested to hear Immanis off of my home system, as I expect it to make the Immanis even more shockingly good than the ifi amp and portable DAC I heard them on at the show.

Mar 23, 2024 at 6:35 AM Post #654 of 1,929
Hello all! My interest in the Immanis finally got me to make an account on here so this is my first post. I heard them at canjam nyc and had to place an order right away. I think I will get mine with the 2nd batch? I have seen several people ask how they compare to the Susvara, and while I don't trust auditory memory enough to make a real comparison right now, Susvara have been my daily drivers for a couple years now and I plan to do an in depth comparison whenever my Immanis do arrive for any that are interested. I am expecting these to replace my Susvara but I suppose we'll see. I am running the "golden boy special" right now, that is Susvara off of a May and Bliss. I am very interested to hear Immanis off of my home system, as I expect it to make the Immanis even more shockingly good than the ifi amp and portable DAC I heard them on at the show.
I think the original statements about the availability of the First batch and Second batch no longer apply. The latest situation stated on P10 of the 6moons review suggests that general supply to customers will not commence until after the Munich Shows which are in May. I’m sure Alex will provide us with updated information when he can.

Mar 23, 2024 at 6:46 AM Post #655 of 1,929
I am closer indeed, but I need to wait until my new DAC is here (should be within 3 weeks from now) to reassess system synergy / overall balance and most importantly my emotional response to the new sound.

What I can confidently say is that the Immanis (with or without EQ) brought me at the peak of my audio journey so far for at least certain types of music I really care for, which is already a big feat for me. Big orchestral compositions, for example, have a mix of grandeur, tonal credibility, instrument body, spatial organization, openness, transparency and resolution I did not experience before.

1710672707367.png

1710672987100.png

Lastly, I want to remark again how impressive is - for good or worse - the change of the sonic signature presented by the Immanis depending on the recording. The two albums above are typical examples of the respective recording style of the two labels at that time, and they could not sound more different, which is made obvious by the Immanis in a way I did not find with other headphones.
Try this version of the Planet Suite. It’s not an ‘audiophile’ recording but it is often cited as being the best performance. I think of this version of Mars as the classical version of Heavy Metal, both for its dynamic content but also because of the power of the brass section. The middle section of Jupiter also always hits the ‘emotional’ notes.

Attachments

• The Planets.jpeg.png
    The Planets.jpeg.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Mar 23, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #656 of 1,929
I am closer indeed, but I need to wait until my new DAC is here (should be within 3 weeks from now) to reassess system synergy / overall balance and most importantly my emotional response to the new sound.

What I can confidently say is that the Immanis (with or without EQ) brought me at the peak of my audio journey so far for at least certain types of music I really care for, which is already a big feat for me. Big orchestral compositions, for example, have a mix of grandeur, tonal credibility, instrument body, spatial organization, openness, transparency and resolution I did not experience before.

1710672707367.png

1710672987100.png

Lastly, I want to remark again how impressive is - for good or worse - the change of the sonic signature presented by the Immanis depending on the recording. The two albums above are typical examples of the respective recording style of the two labels at that time, and they could not sound more different, which is made obvious by the Immanis in a way I did not find with other headphones.
What new dac is on its way? It isn’t that long ago that you switched from Chord to DCS, right?

Mar 23, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #657 of 1,929
I think the original statements about the availability of the First batch and Second batch no longer apply. The latest situation stated on P10 of the 6moons review suggests that general supply to customers will not commence until after the Munich Shows which are in May. I’m sure Alex will provide us with updated information when he can.
Yes, there will be some delays, but batches are not going to completely merge...

The main goal now is to supply all these Shows with show-demos, supply for reviews and have something to supply the first people in the waiting line(s).

Our new vendor that used to do only Aluminium rings and Interface tube for us, is now supplying us with small parts as well!
Kudos to HDDS Machining from Belgrade! Awesome group of people, doing fantastic work:
https://hddsmachining.com/en/cnc-metal-cutting-machining-hddsmachining/

All we do after them is polishing steps to get to mirror polish, then 24K Gold plating...

Our leather tailor changed my idea of what leather should be on the "mushroom top" of the stand, so now we're doing this:

0-02-05-9b3dd049fb41f409f5c536ce7fc66dc425a06dba82ee31a57364cc3a8b59791c_4daf950d.jpg

xfgbnsgb.jpg

It's the same leather as for the headband top, only thinned down, plus with a thicker stem, it all makes a much nicer stand.

More news in my next post!

Mar 23, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #658 of 1,929
Hi All, after a week delay the new Raal were finally delivered yesterday evening. I have the weekend with them before they go back to Danny on Monday. I will put some impressions over on the regular Raal thread late tonight or tomorrow after I am finished with photography. Short story: they are absolutely incredible. I listened into the wee hours this morning, often with tears in my eyes and jaw on the floor. This is the pinnacle. I will do my very best to write impressions that are helpful to others, but I am focussed now comparing to the Sr1a and HD800s. Apologies to all, I no longer own the CA1a so cannot compare real time. Please be patient with me, I am having a hard time formulating words that adequately describe how incredible both the Magna and Immanis are.

IMG_1923.JPG

Mar 23, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #659 of 1,929
Hi All, after a week delay the new Raal were finally delivered yesterday evening. I have the weekend with them before they go back to Danny on Monday. I will put some impressions over on the regular Raal thread late tonight or tomorrow after I am finished with photography. Short story: they are absolutely incredible. I listened into the wee hours this morning, often with tears in my eyes and jaw on the floor. This is the pinnacle. I will do my very best to write impressions that are helpful to others, but I am focussed now comparing to the Sr1a and HD800s. Apologies to all, I no longer own the CA1a so cannot compare real time. Please be patient with me, I am having a hard time formulating words that adequately describe how incredible both the Magna and Immanis are.

IMG_1923.JPG
Hey, Mark!
Glad to see you finally got them!

A little note: that cable with a Red stripe is for Magna only. The other cable, with a White stripe is for Immanis and comes with it, but could be gotten as an upgrade for Magna.

Mar 23, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #660 of 1,929
Ladies and gentlemen,

I would like to ask you to participate in a little poll, but first, let me announce the news!

In collaboration with Viva Audio, we have developed a specialized RCD Interface that perfectly matches their Egoista 2A3 and Egoista 845 amplifiers.
So, a perfect match between great sounding products!
It can't be successfully used on other amps, so Egoistas only, for reasons that will not be disclosed.

Now the question is only which graphical solution will look better on the Interface.
I will post two drawing with a bit different graphics for engraving front and back, so please like the one you like better!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back