RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Mar 10, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #586 of 1,658
I've scanned several pages of this thread and I did not see anything about availability in the US. Are they available or will they be? And who are the dealers? Thank you.

Mar 10, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #587 of 1,658
I've scanned several pages of this thread and I did not see anything about availability in the US. Are they available or will they be? And who are the dealers? Thank you.
Contact Danny at Raal-Requisite in Ventura, Ca. They will be available in the near future but the first batch is already sold. Second batch was originally promised for mid-April but we are still waiting for an update. Third batch, big question mark. No news at all. No dealers announced, contact Danny for best information.

Mar 10, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #588 of 1,658
If an owner of the Trafomatic Primavera ever decides to pick these up, feel free to share Your thoughts and tag me!
Can't wait to try them during one of the shows ( or maybe a demo will appear in Poland one day ), though based on some of the initial impressions I'd probably need to change some things in my system to add a little more body and oomph in the lower region. Still - great to see a new pair competing in the upper echelons.

I've seen some comparisons to a number of headphones, but I'd like to ask a slightly different question: Which headphones resemble Immanis the closest? Doesn't have to be 1:1, just the pair that You guys find to share the most similarities. It can be something from a lower price bracket with similar characteristics.

Mar 10, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #589 of 1,658
If an owner of the Trafomatic Primavera ever decides to pick these up, feel free to share Your thoughts and tag me!
I would probably get the Immanis but not sure if it’s in the near future or a bit later down the road. When I do get them, I’ll share some impressions for sure. It would also be interesting if Mitch has already come up with his convolution filters for Immanis. For someone who declared CA-1a and SR-1a as the best sounding headphones ever (at the time when not many people paid too much attention to their potential and were still pretty much enamored by the big boys i.e. Susvara, 1266 TC, X9K, etc.), I’m pretty sure I would love the Immanis 😁

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #590 of 1,658
I would probably get the Immanis but not sure if it’s in the near future or a bit later down the road. When I do get them, I’ll share some impressions for sure. It would also be interesting if Mitch has already come up with his convolution filters for Immanis. For someone who declared CA-1a and SR-1a as the best sounding headphones ever (at the time when not many people paid too much attention to their potential and were still pretty much enamored by the big boys i.e. Susvara, 1266 TC, X9K, etc.), I’m pretty sure I would love the Immanis 😁
Danny said he has already been in contact with Mitch and will supply him with Magna and Immanis once the first orders are cleared. As a long term champion of the Raal’s I also think you’ll love the Immanis. I own both the SR and CA and I believe the Immanis is clearly in a higher league. I say this after hearing it for 30-40 minutes under show conditions. In other words, don’t believe a word I say, but live in hope that I am totally right.

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #591 of 1,658
Interesting a few of you are saying the Immanis has more bass of the two, I found it to be the opposite. They had "return to the sauce" by Infected Mushroom on their iPad and that was the first song I put on. When the bassline hit I did a little jaw drop and turned to my friend with me like you gotta hear this. I think it may have been the most impactful bass I've heard out of a headphone? Not an exaggeration.

This was on the Magna and a Jotunheim R one kind attendee loaned to Danny when the VM1a's fuse blew. I then swapped to the Immanis and yes, the bass was still very impactful but my friend and I both agreed, slightly less so than the Magna. I think this may be because of the smaller cups in the Magna making it easier to pressurize the lower volume. Also as others have stated in this thread, the Immanis has extra porting that the Magna does not which should also theoretically lower bass impact since the pressure is vented away.

Honestly I think I liked the Magna more but also it's a lot harder to appreciate the benefits of the Immanis at CanJam since it's more subtle things like clarity/openness. Danny also stated he prefers the Magna, but that many people who demoed preferred the Immanis so it seems to be more of a taste thing and not that one is clearly superior in all cases. One thing is sure, they are both excellent. I placed an order for both and will be returning whichever I like less since it was quite difficult to discern that at the show.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #592 of 1,658
as one who got the chance to listen to them for a bit at canjam I can confidently say if you like the sr1a and ca-1a you WILL like the new ones

Mar 10, 2024 at 10:54 PM Post #593 of 1,658
Interesting a few of you are saying the Immanis has more bass of the two, I found it to be the opposite. They had "return to the sauce" by Infected Mushroom on their iPad and that was the first song I put on. When the bassline hit I did a little jaw drop and turned to my friend with me like you gotta hear this. I think it may have been the most impactful bass I've heard out of a headphone? Not an exaggeration.

This was on the Magna and a Jotunheim R one kind attendee loaned to Danny when the VM1a's fuse blew. I then swapped to the Immanis and yes, the bass was still very impactful but my friend and I both agreed, slightly less so than the Magna. I think this may be because of the smaller cups in the Magna making it easier to pressurize the lower volume. Also as others have stated in this thread, the Immanis has extra porting that the Magna does not which should also theoretically lower bass impact since the pressure is vented away.

Honestly I think I liked the Magna more but also it's a lot harder to appreciate the benefits of the Immanis at CanJam since it's more subtle things like clarity/openness. Danny also stated he prefers the Magna, but that many people who demoed preferred the Immanis so it seems to be more of a taste thing and not that one is clearly superior in all cases. One thing is sure, they are both excellent. I placed and order for both and will be returning whichever I like less since it was quite difficult to discern that at the show.
when I wore both headphones the immanis wider cups created a larger soundstage that reminded me of the sr1a which is the ultimate compliment...the magna indeed had a smaller cup and did embrace my head a bit more tightly which may well contribute to your description of bass..I personally love space in presentation because I love acoustic jazz and well recorded classic rock with a sense of space...I look forward to listening to dark side of the moon with the immanis and VM-1a when I am lucky to receive them...as I said earlier I had my girlfriend who is not a crazy audiophile listen to both and she liked the magna but her jaw dropped with the immanis...

Mar 10, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #594 of 1,658
Was able to listen to both the Immanis and the Magna on the VM-1a for a little while this morning... Wow... but*

Let me just say that my musical preferences are binaural, ambient and any version/type of spatial audio...

The Immanis and Magna have exceptional build quality, with the Immanis feeling a bit heavier and larger on my head. Both have the unmistakeable premium ribbon sound.. But I dont think I would be able to pick a preferred set without so more listening time.

*Take it for what it's worth... But both the Immanis and the Magna to a lesser extent have crossed over into the traditional headphone type sound. (But less so than the CA-1a) And for someone like my self who absolutely loves the SR1a's sound without walls approach to audio... the new flagships are a tremendous departure.

Like most headphones, (except maybe the Stax SR-X9000) the new circumaural design creates the sound of a "room" that is inescapable when compared to the SR1a... For me, that room diminishes a few things from my listening experience. Unlike the SR1a, the new Immanis and Magna put barriers/walls on how far the sound can travel before it naturally decays... IMO, limiting the soundstage and spatial imaging of the source. I also found that maybe the pads softened the unmistakeable clarity, detail and treble rich sound of the SR...

So for now... At least for me .. the SR1a remains King!

In no way do I want to put down the new flagships... The detailed sound is incredibly smooth and a joy to listen to.

The Raal team has much to celebrate... I wouldn't be surprised if both the Immanis and Magna are sold out for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 11:18 PM Post #595 of 1,658
the sr1a will always be the special offering because of its ability to project a speaker like soundstage and its almost eerie detail and imagining...listening to vocals and acoustic music on it is simply an experience but that said I thought the immanis created a circumaural that had a fair bit of the best points of the sr1a with the strenghts a circumaural can offer...no reason to not still own the sr1a and enjoy it for its special strengths...for me the immanis will replace the ca-1a but as I told danny my sr1a is never going anywhere lol

Mar 10, 2024 at 11:20 PM Post #596 of 1,658
when I wore both headphones the immanis wider cups created a larger soundstage that reminded me of the sr1a which is the ultimate compliment...the magna indeed had a smaller cup and did embrace my head a bit more tightly which may well contribute to your description of bass..I personally love space in presentation because I love acoustic jazz and well recorded classic rock with a sense of space...I look forward to listening to dark side of the moon with the immanis and VM-1a when I am lucky to receive them...as I said earlier I had my girlfriend who is not a crazy audiophile listen to both and she liked the magna but her jaw dropped with the immanis...
I'm definitely looking forward to trying it at home with my own music and sources. I wasn't familiar with 95% of the 30 or so tracks they had loaded on their iPad unfortunately and also they only had a lightning cable and my source was USB-C. Curious to see if my favor changes to the Immanis once I can give it more tracks with lots of spatial info that I'm familiar with.

Btw, I focused on bass in my last comment since that was the part that really made an impression on me but I do want to add they really were very complete across the whole spectrum. I guess it wasn't as impressive up top since I've heard some really great estats but it's the combination of having the detailed estat like highs while also having some seriously head thumping lows that makes this unique. It pulled off having lows and highs in a way I don't think I've heard so far, impactful bass without getting boomy at all and affecting clarity, it was still crystal clear everywhere. Even the mighty HE-1 I demoed right before the RAALs didn't quite pull that off as well, I felt the HE-1 achieved its notorious bass for an estat at the cost of the mid bass being just a slight bit too full.

I really do think the ribbon tech fundamentally strikes a better balance between highs and lows than any other driver type we have. They're very fast yet have lots of excursion for impactful lows.

Mar 11, 2024 at 3:01 AM Post #597 of 1,658
the sr1a will always be the special offering because of its ability to project a speaker like soundstage and its almost eerie detail and imagining...listening to vocals and acoustic music on it is simply an experience but that said I thought the immanis created a circumaural that had a fair bit of the best points of the sr1a with the strenghts a circumaural can offer...no reason to not still own the sr1a and enjoy it for its special strengths...for me the immanis will replace the ca-1a but as I told danny my sr1a is never going anywhere lol
My thoughts echo yours. I use CA-1a more than SR-1b simply because it is better suited to the genres I generally listen to. But when the music calls for the SR, the SR is so good. I will probably move the HSA and CA to a second location; I think I’d rather keep it than move it on. Call me a sentimental old fool but I like the idea of retaining the fruits of Alex’s journey. I also want to say that I hope very much that we’re all still around in 2 years (or however long it takes) when Alex releases the next “SR-1b” but undoubtably under a different name now that we have the Raal 1995 naming convention. I’d then like to revisit your statement “my SR-1a is never going anywhere”. If the future ”open baffle” (?) version can do to the SR-1b what Immanis/Magna has done to CA-1a then you might have to rethink that statement. In fact I genuinely hope it does achieve the remarkable feat of improving upon the SR-1b because then we’ll all be happy people. No, I need to change that to ‘happier people’ because most of us are already happy with our “true-ribbon” phones.

Mar 11, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #598 of 1,658

Honestly I think I liked the Magna more but also it's a lot harder to appreciate the benefits of the Immanis at CanJam since it's more subtle things like clarity/openness. Danny also stated he prefers the Magna, but that many people who demoed preferred the Immanis so it seems to be more of a taste thing and not that one is clearly superior in all cases. One thing is sure, they are both excellent. I placed an order for both and will be returning whichever I like less since it was quite difficult to discern that at the show.
like @jlbrach, I have no intention of ever selling my SR1a, the headphone I have owned the longest, and loved the most since I started listening in Covid era. I've pre-ordered the Magna with this in mind, hoping that the Magna and SR will make the best contrasting pair of ribbon headphones and I will not "need" to buy the Immanis, and consequently stay happily married.

Mar 11, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #599 of 1,658
In fact I genuinely hope it does achieve the remarkable feat of improving upon the SR-1b because then we’ll all be happy people. No, I need to change that to ‘happier people’ because most of us are already happy with our “true-ribbon” phones.

Add me to this list.

Mar 11, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #600 of 1,658
My thoughts echo yours. I use CA-1a more than SR-1b simply because it is better suited to the genres I generally listen to. But when the music calls for the SR, the SR is so good. I will probably move the HSA and CA to a second location; I think I’d rather keep it than move it on. Call me a sentimental old fool but I like the idea of retaining the fruits of Alex’s journey. I also want to say that I hope very much that we’re all still around in 2 years (or however long it takes) when Alex releases the next “SR-1b” but undoubtably under a different name now that we have the Raal 1995 naming convention. I’d then like to revisit your statement “my SR-1a is never going anywhere”. If the future ”open baffle” (?) version can do to the SR-1b what Immanis/Magna has done to CA-1a then you might have to rethink that statement. In fact I genuinely hope it does achieve the remarkable feat of improving upon the SR-1b because then we’ll all be happy people. No, I need to change that to ‘happier people’ because most of us are already happy with our “true-ribbon” phones.
I agree 100% if in the future there is an updated and blatantly better versio of the sr1a I imagine I would jump at it,my comment was based on the sr1a being the only version of its sort available

Users who are viewing this thread

Back