RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Mar 7, 2024 at 2:00 AM Post #481 of 1,555
Can you add some more for me about what’s missing from the Immanis’s delivery that’s not doing it for you with rock or vocals? And also is it sub-genres within rock that it doesn’t handle or is it more to do with the presentation of things like electric guitar etc. I’m just wondering if this is an issue caused by just the 2 phones or maybe it’s being governed by the way the AIC-10 drives them. Maybe a high quality SS amp would be more suitable or a harder hitting tube amp rather than considering a third headphone?

Let me be clear: the Immanis does rock and vocals very well, and more generally I already consider them in the top echelon of the headphones I have owned or tried extensively.

I am only being very picky, and implying that for rock and vocals I am more engaged by a somewhat darker, denser, wetter, more forward presentation, which is totally a question of subjective preference, and requires a tuning which typically has trade-offs in areas where the Immanis is at the top of the game (e.g. transparency, soundstage and resolution).

Coming to the amplifier, my experience so far tells me that the AIC-10 is hard to beat when it comes to emotional engagement, however it is very possible that by experimenting on alternative amp matching I can further improve on the synergy with the Immanis.

I am not in a hurry as overall I enjoy what I am hearing very much, and the optimization around the special components of my rig is part of the fun of this hobby (although I try to tinker with moderation), so the next few months will be particularly interesting given the various options and directions I plan to explore :L3000:

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #482 of 1,555
Let me be clear: the Immanis does rock and vocals very well, and more generally I already consider them in the top echelon of the headphones I have owned or tried extensively.

I am only being very picky, and implying that for rock and vocals I am more engaged by a somewhat darker, denser, wetter, more forward presentation, which is totally a question of subjective preference, and requires a tuning which typically has trade-offs in areas where the Immanis is a the top of the game (e.g. transparency, soundstage and resolution).

Coming to the amplifier, my experience so far tells me that the AIC-10 is hard to beat when it comes to emotional engagement, however it is very possible that by experimenting on alternative amp matching I can further improve on the synergy with the Immanis.

I am not in a hurry as overall I enjoy what I am hearing very much, and the optimization around the special components of my rig is part of the fun of this hobby (although I try to tinker with moderation), so the next few months will be particularly interesting given the various options and directions I plan to explore :L3000:
Thankyou for that. Message received and understood. I wasn’t suggesting you lose the Riviera, I think that’s about as permanent a fixture as one can get. I’m also thinking that darker, denser, wetter, more forward is what you’re already getting from the Valkyria? I was thinking of trying the Holo Serene as a pre-amp but that’s not going to achieve what you’ve described; and the AIC-10 doesn’t have a pre-amp out so you can’t try something the other way round. Maybe a new convolution filter from Mitch and some judicious use of EQ could get you there. Or maybe 🤭 you need a third headphone…….or some extra imagination, a shot of 🥃, and some hair restorer.
Now I set up the Envy I borrowed from Thomas this morning…..🥳

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #483 of 1,555
Now I set up the Envy I borrowed from Thomas this morning…..🥳
That's dangerous, you will order an Envy now.
@Leto Dal also doesn't seem to regret the purchase (he also received hell of a deal...)

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #485 of 1,555
Mar 7, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #486 of 1,555
That's dangerous, you will order an Envy now.
@Leto Dal also doesn't seem to regret the purchase (he also received hell of a deal...)
Yes, probably….but I’ve had a look at what’s produced in Europe, the pricing and availability, the ease of doing business….and very importantly, what I can buy through Thomas, and it all points in the direction of Envy. And anyway it’s free for the weekend so I have enough time to think about it. Thomas also gave me a TI-1b so I can try it with the SR and CA as well as my Caldera. The one I have here is the one that was unboxed Friday night for the show so if I want to keep it Thomas will offer it as an “open box”. The price has not yet entered into our discussion.
p.s. Send @Leto Dal round to give me instructions on how to get a hell of a deal 👍🏼.

Mar 7, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #487 of 1,555
Yes, probably….but I’ve had a look at what’s produced in Europe, the pricing and availability, the ease of doing business….and very importantly, what I can buy through Thomas, and it all points in the direction of Envy. And anyway it’s free for the weekend so I have enough time to think about it. Thomas also gave me a TI-1b so I can try it with the SR and CA as well as my Caldera. The one I have here is the one that was unboxed Friday night for the show so if I want to keep it Thomas will offer it as an “open box”. The price has not yet entered into our discussion.
p.s. Send @Leto Dal round to give me instructions on how to get a hell of a deal 👍🏼.
He bought my Envy, that's how he got hell of a deal 😅
Anyways, enjoy!

Mar 7, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #488 of 1,555
Mar 7, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #490 of 1,555
Now all eyes will be on CanJam NYC. Could put you 12 months back…😂
Yeah but if you consider 30 year "Anniversary" since 1995, this might not be the worst thing.

Mar 7, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #491 of 1,555
Well deserved!
Would have received my vote as well
I feel I need to say this. Whilst I also agree that the accolade is fully deserved, a headphone is just a transducer, and without a full supporting cast a headphone cannot trans or duce. It is just a silent thing sitting on a stand. But when you join the silent headphone to a lovely, glow in the dark shouty thing called a tube amplifier it has a chance to sing and seduce a person known as Lieven. But, and I say but again, without a world class super-expensive source of music files and a way of converting our beloved stores of digital data into wonderful analog flows of real music our Immanis could never have climbed to the pinnacle of the Tankturm. So ladies and gentlemen, if you haven’t done so already, please read the words written by Lieven that describe why the Immanis was ‘best of show’ and one of the best in the world EVER. And then please realise this happened because of a DAP….😂.
So, please all raise your glasses and let‘s drink a toast to Envy and SP3000….for Best Supporting Cast.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #492 of 1,555
I feel I need to say this. Whilst I also agree that the accolade is fully deserved, a headphone is just a transducer, and without a full supporting cast a headphone cannot trans or duce. It is just a silent thing sitting on a stand. But when you join the silent headphone to a lovely, glow in the dark shouty thing called a tube amplifier it has a chance to sing and seduce a person known as Lieven. But, and I say but again, without a world class super-expensive source of music files and a way of converting our beloved stores of digital data into wonderful analog flows of real music our Immanis could never have climbed to the pinnacle of the Tankturm.
Yup. The curse, if there is such a thing, of having a very revealing transducer is that the sonic characteristics of what comes before it will be spotlit, warts and all. Depending on how carefully you've assembled your system as a whole, will determine whether that particular headphone will be a revelation or the aforementioned curse.

Mar 7, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #493 of 1,555
So, I was going to just ask this on Saturday at CanJam, but think maybe it's better to ask it here for the benefit of all (sorry if this is already well trodden territory, I'm new to this ribbon thing!): to what extent does the interface allow the character of the amp to come through? If I have, for example, a DNA Stellaris that I particularly like the sound of, to what extent can I expect the character of that sound to be transmitted through the energizer/interface? Or is the amp merely a power source, i.e. solid state vs tubes will make little or no difference because the energizer converts all of that energy either way into something the ribbon can ingest?

Mar 7, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #494 of 1,555
Imc
So, I was going to just ask this on Saturday at CanJam, but think maybe it's better to ask it here for the benefit of all (sorry if this is already well trodden territory, I'm new to this ribbon thing!): to what extent does the interface allow the character of the amp to come through? If I have, for example, a DNA Stellaris that I particularly like the sound of, to what extent can I expect the character of that sound to be transmitted through the energizer/interface? Or is the amp merely a power source, i.e. solid state vs tubes will make little or no difference because the energizer converts all of that energy either way into something the ribbon can ingest?
I could hear a significant difference between the SAEQ HSA-1c solid state- and Felix Envy tube-amp, driving Immanis through the transformer interface.

I still could hear a significant difference with SAEQ HSA-1c direct drive, so the transformer does change something, but even passes through the amp character.

And - even the amp might react to the different impedance load.
So, there‘s no way than to finally check with your own rig.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #495 of 1,555
The interface is pretty benign to my ears. I can hear my amp sonic sig on the interface. I have tried many amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back