RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Feb 17, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #166 of 1,571
While the new HPs look fancy and more classic, I still prefer the look of the CA1a. However, since I do not own any (working) circumaural headphones, I might consider getting an Immanis if its sound obviously surpasses everything currently on Earth.

@Aleksandar R. I have two questions :
- Are you planning to release upgraded ribbons to update our existing SR1a at some point?
- I love using my SR1a floating without front padding (about a 1 cm gap at the front) and combining it with my (very big) subwoofer. I am wondering if by doing so, it improves resonances, HRTF, airiness... Also, how much bass is lost from the HPs? Only sub-bass, or am I creating a strong dip up to maybe 300Hz? It depends on the recording, but sometimes it feels even more lifelike/realistic by removing these two big foam pieces.
- No plans to change anything with SR's as they are.
The new thing we're doing with ribbons prevents us to make them exchangeable. We still "slide in" the frames that hold the ribbons stretched, but reduced gaps between the frame and the ribbon edges are now tight enough that we can't allow for slightly arced frame that provides friction while sliding them in and holding them into place.
Now they are straight and so loose inside the magnets that they would rattle if we don't cement them in place.
The new tuning adjustments we're doing for the ribbons does not allow for the frame to be under any type of tension, or the tuning will change and change the differences we want in the tuning of adjacent ribbons inside one driver.
Basically, new developments wouldn't bring much advantage in a single ribbon driver. We could offer the new type of ribbon suspension that we do now, but it wouldn't make much of a difference to an SR type ribbon that has already settled it's resonant frequency,

-yes, you do create an advantage of adding the front leakage zone, as you're directly improving the HRTF. so you're having better fill of the center in stereo imaging.
That will be the scope of my work for the future "open baffle" headphones. Front leakage, not back leakage.
I don't thing that anything significant is happening with reducing unwanted resonances, at least I haven't seen that in my measurements and listening.
You loose gradually towards bass. This can't make the distinction and loose upper bass only, or low bass only.
It happens very smoothly, all the way from 2k down, so no strong dips from, say, 300Hz down, but you will notice that the slope became too tilted downwards as things below 200-300Hz start becoming too dry.
Only in conjunction with the subwoofer, you can create a dip in that region, when the padless SR slope starts sooner and then the woofer kicks in below.
Basically, you have entered a zone of sorting out the crossover region of a 2-way speaker...

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Feb 18, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #167 of 1,571
So, the 6Moons article is saying again that the 300B with the interface box is, what seems to be, a much better option for the new 3 ribbon than the VM, which I feared :triportsad:

Feb 18, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #168 of 1,571
So, the 6Moons article is saying again that the 300B with the interface box is, what seems to be, a much better option for the new 3 ribbon than the VM, which I feared :triportsad:
You do know that a good deal of what Srajan has been espousing over there in that preview, has been lifted verbatim from these very pages. That said, it's no secret that 300B-fronted amplifiers can be magical sounding pieces when designed properly. The only pair of ears that matter, though, are yours. All I can tell you is that at the glorious level the VM-1's drive the SR-1a, the differences between it and a 300B variant, would likely be in the nit-picking range....and often decided on personal choice.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #169 of 1,571
and you just assume that to be true?

Feb 18, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #170 of 1,571
You do know that a good deal of what Srajan has been espousing over there in that preview, has been lifted verbatim from these very pages. That said, it's no secret that 300B-fronted amplifiers can be magical sounding pieces when designed properly. The only pair of ears that matter, though, are yours. All I can tell you is that at the glorious level the VM-1's drive the SR-1a, the differences between it and a 300B variant, would likely be in the nit-picking range....and often decided on personal choice.
agreed, at the level of the VM better would be either different or likely nuanced at best

Feb 18, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #171 of 1,571
and you just assume that to be true?
I have no other data points. We'll see once people get it in their hands. It could just be a little better, or it could be a lot better. All I know is that, I don't like reading it.

Feb 18, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #173 of 1,571
What are you going to do if the SR/CA sound better on the VM but the Immanis sounds better on the new 300B?
That’s a good question. I’m hoping the Immanis makes the CA and SR obsolete, but we shall see…

Feb 18, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #174 of 1,571
That’s a good question. I’m hoping the Immanis makes the CA and SR obsolete, but we shall see…
Potentially the Immanis is the be all end all.

I'm super hyped for 2nd of March.

Feb 18, 2024 at 7:31 PM Post #175 of 1,571
Potentially the Immanis is the be all end all.

I'm super hyped for 2nd of March.
until the next best thing comes along lol,any idea how many times I have said those immortal words?

Feb 18, 2024 at 7:34 PM Post #176 of 1,571
until the next best thing comes along lol,any idea how many times I have said those immortal words?
It will always be like that, keeps the hobby interesting

Feb 18, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #177 of 1,571
agreed, at the level of the VM better would be either different or likely nuanced at best
What Srajan posted was my own impression of the Solaja's 300B² prototype.

Yeah, it's not a night-and-day difference, but...it's exactly the difference between and amp with overall negative feedback and an amp without overall negative feedback.

If the topology of the amp allows for it, and if the transducer you want to drive can work without large damping factor, using an amp without feedback will add another layer of vividness, immediacy and texture. Possible only with Triodes and some SIT's , preferably in Single Ended topology of the amp, for the right distribution of harmonics in distortion.

The best I've heard the VM was the first prototype that had no feedback. If it weren't for undefined, wooly bass, we would have kept it like that, but basically, the topology of the amp didn't allow feedbackless approach. Still, the sound was mesmerising in midrange.

SET's allow for not using overall feedback, and that sound comes naturally with them. Plus, the absence of odd order harmonic distortion with 300B...
No wonder that SET's have high reputation, but IMHO most of it comes from the vividness of sound that comes from not using feedback.
In order for that sound to come out, the front end of an SET amp has to be very, very capable and funnily enough, there are not many of those out there.
There are still some really old and bad schematics used in contemporary amps, bordering ridiculous and downright stupid, but Solaja doesn't do that.

Last edited:

Feb 18, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #178 of 1,571
As a general observation about SET's;

In my early and mid twenties, I was hanging a lot with a couple of gentleman in Belgrade, both passed away now, Vujadin Erkic and Nikola Vukusic.
They were all in SET's, nothing else mattered. There were battery powered 211 (VT4C) with 1200 Volts full rack of batteries, then 845, 811, GM70, things like that...graphite anodes being the preferred choice. Over 1000V being the normal PSU voltage.
They didn't care much for 300B, as that wasn't in military surplus in former Yugoslavia...
So, I sort of "grew up" on their SET sound, though not always sharing the opinion on what's better iteration of an amp, which made me work on, aside from ribbons, MOSFET SE amps for my own pleaseure, by Nelson Pass' influence...

To me, SET's proper, are about dynamics, immediacy, lighting fast midrange and attack.

Last edited:

Feb 19, 2024 at 4:36 AM Post #179 of 1,571
@Aleksandar R. Will there be pad options, or will the Immanis&Magna have one set of earpads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back