RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Feb 17, 2024 at 12:48 AM Post #151 of 2,352
While the new HPs look fancy and more classic, I still prefer the look of the CA1a. However, since I do not own any (working) circumaural headphones, I might consider getting an Immanis if its sound obviously surpasses everything currently on Earth.

@Aleksandar R. I have two questions :
- Are you planning to release upgraded ribbons to update our existing SR1a at some point?
- I love using my SR1a floating without front padding (about a 1 cm gap at the front) and combining it with my (very big) subwoofer. I am wondering if by doing so, it improves resonances, HRTF, airiness... Also, how much bass is lost from the HPs? Only sub-bass, or am I creating a strong dip up to maybe 300Hz? It depends on the recording, but sometimes it feels even more lifelike/realistic by removing these two big foam pieces.

Feb 17, 2024 at 1:25 AM Post #152 of 2,352
~
While the new HPs look fancy and more classic, I still prefer the look of the CA1a. However, since I do not own any (working) circumaural headphones, I might consider getting an Immanis if its sound obviously surpasses everything currently on Earth.

@Aleksandar R. I have two questions :
- Are you planning to release upgraded ribbons to update our existing SR1a at some point?
- I love using my SR1a floating without front padding (about a 1 cm gap at the front) and combining it with my (very big) subwoofer. I am wondering if by doing so, it improves resonances, HRTF, airiness... Also, how much bass is lost from the HPs? Only sub-bass, or am I creating a strong dip up to maybe 300Hz? It depends on the recording, but sometimes it feels even more lifelike/realistic by removing these two big foam pieces.
I don’t know if you have Watched the video that Alex posted on page 9 but if you go to the last item on the video simply titled RAAL, when Srajan holds his SR1a’s up to the camera it’s clear to see that there is no front padding. When he puts them on there is indeed a clear gap between his face and the SR’s drivers. I don’t know if Srajan also uses a sub-woofer (I don’t think so, but I don’t really know) but it is something to try. You should also have a look on page 2 at SteveHulk’s portable system that he put together for use on planes, trains and automobiles…..

Feb 17, 2024 at 2:00 AM Post #153 of 2,352
I have gathered certain insights while working on M+I, that I would like to incorporate in open-baffle headphones.
But, I don't yet know exactly how.
I think I could come out with new open baffles in 2 years. Most probably with a fixed angle of "wings" and a some additional padding top and bottom for less wiggly wearing and deeper bass.
Still, all that is far away from now, as first I will have to decide if they should become "system" headphones (with dedicated amps), or a free product, or a mix of both, depending on the model tier...
Alex, how about making this into an ‘add-on’ system that we existing owners of SR1a/b could also use?

Feb 17, 2024 at 2:09 AM Post #155 of 2,352
Yes I saw Darko's video ; Srajan bent the metal to have them floating. I bent the metal too ; they are floating a tad closer but maybe not dangling as much. Srajan did not remove the front pads though.
I just looked again and can now see that, yes. I guess it‘s the bit where he fully opens the baffles and the front padding can no longer be seen, only the air gap between his face and the drivers. It‘s this that has stayed in my memory, not the beginning part where the SR’s are in the ‘closed’ position.

Feb 17, 2024 at 3:30 AM Post #156 of 2,352
I have gathered certain insights while working on M+I, that I would like to incorporate in open-baffle headphones.
But, I don't yet know exactly how.
I think I could come out with new open baffles in 2 years. Most probably with a fixed angle of "wings" and a some additional padding top and bottom for less wiggly wearing and deeper bass.
Still, all that is far away from now, as first I will have to decide if they should become "system" headphones (with dedicated amps), or a free product, or a mix of both, depending on the model tier...
Interesting. I always wanted to try the mod that consists of adding some pad material on the flaps and the metal grill to increase the bass.

See here: https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/rhythmdevils-raal-sr-1a-modding-guide.12354/

The thing is that I mostly listen to classical music, where bass is not that important and the SR-1A/B are already great as they are. But what would be your say on trying that padding?

Feb 17, 2024 at 4:15 AM Post #157 of 2,352
Interesting. I always wanted to try the mod that consists of adding some pad material on the flaps and the metal grill to increase the bass.

See here: https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/rhythmdevils-raal-sr-1a-modding-guide.12354/

The thing is that I mostly listen to classical music, where bass is not that important and the SR-1A/B are already great as they are. But what would be your say on trying that padding?
Not for me. I remember reading that when it was first published. If I want more bass and foam padding I use my CA1a 👍🏼

Feb 17, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #158 of 2,352

You can also use Mitch’s convolution filters and/or a bass shelf using EQ; there’s no need to destroy the aesthetic.

Feb 17, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #161 of 2,352
My sense is that they sounded too wide and acute to his ears to start with. he is clearly not a SR/1A type of guy. But the idea behind the mod has
merits. In fact, if you think about it, it is the same idea conceptually which is at the basis of the CA Model.

Feb 17, 2024 at 4:53 AM Post #162 of 2,352
But the idea behind the mod has
merits. In fact, if you think about it, it is the same idea conceptually which is at the basis of the CA Model.
True, but since the tried and tested Ca-1a already exists, what's the point of modding the SR-1a?

I simply assume that the results of the Ca-1a are superior to the mod, since there went a lot more RnD and expertise into it.

Feb 17, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #163 of 2,352
True, but since the tried and tested Ca-1a already exists, what's the point of modding the SR-1a?

I simply assume that the results of the Ca-1a are superior to the mod, since there went a lot more RnD and expertise into it.
That’s my thinking as well, but far more importantly Thanatos are you coming to Heidelberg? It’s only 2 weeks away. You gotta decide soon.

Feb 17, 2024 at 5:02 AM Post #164 of 2,352

Sure but if you do not have the Ca and want to improve bass on the SR1A that would seem a possible way to go. Also because the mod is not destructive.

Feb 17, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #165 of 2,352
That’s my thinking as well, but far more importantly Thanatos are you coming to Heidelberg? It’s only 2 weeks away. You gotta decide soon.
Yes I will come to Heidelberg.
The audition list is quite long by now, my brother will join the fun as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back